HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 20, 2003

It's four more days till my twins 11th birthday and I've planned absolutely nothing. My daughter wants a canopy to put over her bed, which would be a great present if we knew where we were going to live, or even if she was going to have a bed, but we don't.

How did this all happen? In Feb of 2001 I was working as an engineering director in a software company in Silicon Valley. Life was sweet, we had a nice home, I was raking in well over 6 figures in income, kids were in a decent school setting, and everything just hummed along. Not that there weren't some issues, there were. I had worked in 3 small startups, all of which folded in one manner or another. Two were run by complete mornons. The first startup was right after I left Netscape, and went to a company run by an Indian guy with a fake name, who wouldn't eat anything without an official taster, and came into the office around 2 pm because he didn't want to actually talk to the people who worked for him. I should have known....

The next company was run by 3 Israelis, none of whom knew anything about software development, but that didn't stop them. This CEO actually rode around in the halls on an electric scooter. They constantly spoke in Hebrew to exclude people, but forgot that I speak Hebrew. Let's just say honesty was NOT their policy.

And then I found the job I loved, and was good at, and the damn company folded. I had built up a great group with people I had worked with previously, and we were humming as a team. We developed a decent product that we were all proud of, and then the company folded one morning, giving us an hour to pack and get out.

I had one job after that, with a 5 month wait for the new company to buy the former company's software. They had no idea of what to do with it, other than destroy it, and of course, that's exactly what they did. This company was run by a guy who fancied himself so important that he demanded you be available for meetings and then didn't show up himself. Hated him.

So, I started my downhill stretch with a bunch of failed jobs behind me, and absolutely no possibility of employment anytime in the future. Here it is 2.5 years later and I've kept 'busy' building web sites, fielding content, teaching gifted kids web site creation, and watching Dr Phil on tv.

Next, I'll talk about school, kids, and the insanity of moving across the country with no prospect of a job on either coast.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Carmi said...

I thought I'd go right back to the beginning tonight, and I'm glad I did.

Reading your first entry, I can't help but think that there's a book in there somewhere. I could just see the Israelis speaking Hebrew to each other, oblivious to the fact that you understood every word. Classic!

14/4/07 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.