HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

What I love about Trader Joe's



I know, it's kind of snotty to write about a store that has a limited availability, but heck, I'm a lucky duck and I shop there all the time. Not only do I have simple access to one TJ's which is literally a couple of miles up the same road I live on, but there is another one in the center of town, and a really big one the next town over. I'm in TJ heaven.

I used to shop there less, because I kept trying to cook everything from scratch, but when I got sick I realized that I didn't have to do that every night, and that the frozen foods from TJ's were mostly organic, nutritious, cheap, and took almost no energy to make. Now that it's deadly hot out, frozen foods have even more appeal for me.

So today the Girl and I headed down to road to TJ's to shop for the week. I got the usual staples, Cuban Mohito Sauce, Masala Sauce, Vodka Sauce, marinated mushrooms, pinapple juice, blueberry juice, seltzer, kosher chicken, ice cream, nectarines, cherry tomatos, avocados, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, and salad fixings. Then we marched down my favorite isle, the prepared frozen foods. I got a variety of things, veggie samosas and garlic naan for an indian meal, veggie shu mai and potstickers plus fried rice for a chinese meal. Meatless meatballs, a jar of the new Korma sauce and some chick peas and raisins, a tiny cheesecake, some salmon and cod fillets, garlic fries, sweet potato fries, cheese enchiladas, blintzes, and some other stuff I can't quite remember right now. But there were 7 stuffed to the brim brown paper handle bags for a grand total of $137. You just can't beat the convenience, the taste, and the price. This store is a gold mine.

I used to be more of a Whole Paycheck shopper, as we have a couple of them in my town too, but the prices are insane. I like the food, and we do go there for sushi, but you gotta be a trustfunder to shop there exclusively.

We also tend to hit the Stop & Slop at least once a month for staples that we can't live without, like Barilla pasta, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc. I can get those at TJ's but I'm not in the least bit flexible about certain types of products. I need to have what I'm used to. I don't transition well!

The thing about being a TJ's shopper is that eventually you need an extra freezer. I sold mine when we moved back here from CA because I wasn't importing Kosher meat and poultry anymore, and I really had no place to put it. But I'm starting to peruse the Free column on craigslist to see if I can pick up a small freezer I can put in the basement. If only for ice cream and popsicles, it will be handy dandy!

I usually love to cook, and probably will feel more like it when the weather improves. I just have to get back on a schedule. Summer turns me totally inside out and I need to get back to sleeping at night and being awake during the day. Aw shucks!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.