HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sleep

Every night I think about the same thing as I'm falling asleep. It's kind of weird, but here goes. I can't fall asleep unless I am in the same exact position every night. I can't vary it at all. I have to lay on my right side on the right side of the bed. My right arm is outstretched over my head and my hand has to grasp the bed post in a certain manner, with my fingers under the cannonball. My left arm lays down my side and my hand rests on my left thigh. My right leg is bent at the knee, the left lays atop it.

Why can't I fall asleep in any other position? I wonder about this nightly, thinking "am I the only one who must be so rigid about falling asleep?" Then I think of my kids, who seem to have inherited this weirdness from me. The Boy sleeps on his stomach, face crushed into his pillow. He looks much like a corpse. My brother used to sleep the same way, which I find interesting. The Girl, on the other hand, has this ritualistic manner of tucking herself tightly, like a mummy, into her bed. She likes the sheets really tight around her, up over her head. Me, I can't sleep with anything over my head, but she likes to be really warm.

I usually wake up laying on my right side as well, although I know I've tossed and turned during the night because my duvet is usually all bunched up. I've always been a 'busy' sleeper, unlike the Boy who again, sleeps like a corpse. The Girl is the most restless, fidgety sleeper I've ever seen, which tends to match the depth level of her sleep. She's a very light sleeper and awakens at any unusual sound.

I'm an insomniac. I have terrible trouble sleeping at night and tend to sleep in catnaps during the day. I am usually up until at least 3, sometimes later. I often don't fall asleep until the kids have left for school, and get up right before they come home. I wish I didn't do this, but it's how my body seems to react to not working. I don't tend to remember any dreams, either, but I do snore.

The best thing about my sleep is my bed. My bed, as you can see, is an antique rope bed that was converted to a normal sized queen bed. It is very high off the ground, which I love, and it is so comfortable as well as being beautiful. I bought it many years ago at an auction and had it resized so I could use a regular boxspring and mattress on it. Unbeknownst to me, it has increased in value about 10-fold since the time I purchased it in the early 80's. When my kids were little, they used to climb on the blanket chest at the end of my bed to get onto the bed. As they got taller, they started climbing on the side rails and hoisting themselves up. Now they are tall enough to actually get on the bed without help, but a lot of people can't. Most people, when they see my bed, ask how I get into it. I'm so used to sleeping way off the ground now that I'm not comfortable in a normal bed. But I have to admit, I kind of roll onto the bed from the side, and once I'm on there, I'm loathe to get down again.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

Try just getting a running start and diving in...only no satin sheets. That's just asking for a concussion.

19/10/05 1:41 AM  
Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I am a troubled sleeper too, can't have it too hot or too cold, I am on my tummy or on my side, no light at all, have to have something around my neck and one hand stretched far out....What is wrong with me, I know I snore but not all the time. I love sleep but don't love to sleep, 8 hours a night is perfect. Go figure.

20/10/05 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.