HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

While we're thinking politically...

Let's talk Harriet Miers. Ugh. Not only is she a Bush crony and completely unqualified to be a judge, never mind a Supreme Court Judge, but she's also an evasive, unintelligent, and disorganized person. She forgot to pay her Bar Association Dues in Texas and lost her license to practice law for month, for heaven's sake. Her confirmation hearings are quickly approaching and we must gather together to raise a loud chorus of voices for choice, for health, and for safety as quickly as we possibly can. Reach out to 10 of your friends and ask them to stand up for choice. Pass along this questionnaire that Miers completed for an anti-choice group called the Texans United for Life.

Excerpt: Harriet Miers Questionnaire,
Texas United for Life


I think this questionnaire shows the huge anti-choice bias that Harriet Miers proudly displays, and I believe that her addition to the US Supreme Court will be the end of reproductive rights in the United States. When I talk about reproductive rights, I don't mean just the right to terminate a pregnancy or to seek birth control regardless of your age. I mean reproductive rights such as seeking alternative reproductive techniques (ART) such as IVF and GIFT. Ms. Miers is a born-again Christian, one of a band of people across this country who believe with all their hearts that they have the right to decide who should be allowed to have a family and who should not. Recently in Indiana, a bill was proposed to limit ART to only married couples, thus cutting off all possibility of gay or lesbians from becoming parents. In addition, single mothers seeking a child would not be allowed to use sperm banks according to this proposed law. Fortunately, the uproar regarding this proposed law was such that it was withdrawn from legislation. But if there were a Supreme Court willing to support such archaic thinking, the rights of single women, lesbians, and anyone seeking a termination would be removed.

I'm one of those people who would lay down my life to protect reproductive rights of all kinds, although I would personally not choose an abortion. I tried to become a mother for 8 years, through 4 miscarriages and 2 IVFs before I became the proud mother of my child. One of those miscarriages had to be terminated because I was in the hospital at 17.5 weeks with PROM (premature rupture of membranes) and the pregnancy could not survive. It took me a week and a near death infection to decide to terminate this pregnancy, and it was literally one of those 'to save the life of the mother' moments. My fear, should Harriet Miers and her ilk become members of the Supreme Court is that even under those circumstances, termination would be illegal. That they would allow a woman to die rather than to terminate a pregnancy scares the shit out of me.

My daughter is near sexual activity and I pray with all my heart that she has the same reproductive rights that I do. I remember when Roe v Wade was passed. I have marched on Washington twice for reproductive rights. I volunteered for NARAL for years and stood outside Planned Parenthood during the worst of the demonstrations on a weekly basis. I bypassed protestors outside my reproductive endocrinologists office for years, listening to them scream at me about my evil doctor while he was trying to get me pregnant. I've felt the anger, the fear, and the embarassment of being on the hot seat in this issue. I will never ever give up this fight. I hope you are all with me, dear readers.

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

Um, my biggest problem with Miers? Thinks GWB is "the most brilliant man she's ever met."

Let's hope she just doesn't get out much.

19/10/05 11:04 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Yeah, that's a good point. She's one pathetic pick for SCJ, eh?

19/10/05 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.