HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Cluck cluck, and then you die

What the hell is all this panic about the avian flu? I see it as Bush's latest diversionary tactic to keep the populace paranoid and scared. The whole deal reeks of WMDs in Iraq. We should all be petrified, I suppose. Now I don't know about you, but I don't keep chickens, I don't have ducks, I don't have geese, and I have little to no exposure to birds at all. I'm not scared of dying from the avian flu. Maybe I'm naive, but this doesn't seem like a huge threat the the American population right now. I talked to my doctor about this whole escapade when I was there last week, and she was beside herself talking about how ridiculous it was to be preparing for a pandemic when we don't even have universal health care in the US. Now Bush is planning to spend billions to vaccinate ever American citizen against the avian flu. Not that we actually can have a successful vaccination experience because this flu mutates and they can only vaccinate on what now exists, not what will exist in the future. But let's waste money on this despite the fact that there has not been ONE case of the avian flu in the USA. There have been only 62 deaths worldwide from the avian flu. The death rate is currently 51% of the total infections, 122 total infections in southeast asia.

I wish I didn't have to be so cynical about this, but to me, a person who trusts absolutely nothing that comes from the Republican administration we currently suffer with, I think this is all a diversionary tactic to scare people out of the reality of the Bush White House. I believe that Bush is trying to cover up the corruption, cronyism, and perjuring of his staff by freaking out the general population with more threats of mass distruction. What scares me most is how many fools will buy into this crap.

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Anonymous ashpdx said...

I agree with you politically and I am sure Bush would love to divert attention away from other issues. However, I researched the Avian flu on world health organization http://www.who.int/csr/disease/influenza/pandemic10things/en/index.html and other sites, and I believe it could be an enormous problem. Basically, the risk is that once this virus is able to transfer to people (which it has), then people can transmit it to other people and then it is all over. Read about it on World Health, these pandemics have happened throughout history, why wouldn't they happen again? The flu is much more a threat to Americans than terrorists.

2/11/05 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Bush, his tactic has always been to distract the American people with some "threat," then propose a "solution" that lulls everyone into a false sense of security or action. We get into this "we have to unite and work against the enemy" mentality.

The hyper-media coverage has been a bit much, but in all fairness, if this thing did mutate and begin spreading from person to person we could have a massive epidemic on our hands. That sort of global contagion seems to be a big if at this point though.

Kestrel

2/11/05 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. I just finished going through your sidebar links, what a fantastic collection you have there! Thanks for the new sites. ;)

Kestrel

2/11/05 10:46 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

I agree that a pandemic of avian flu could be divastating to the US and the world, but isn't it convenient that we're worrying about it NOW, when Bush is in deep shit? My point is, the Avian flu has been around for years, it's spread to the human population in China before and we didn't seem all that worried about it, but now we're ready to vaccinate the entire population of the US (whether we want the vaccination or not) with an unproven vaccination that costs 7.5 BILLION dollars? Where is the money coming from? Oh, I know... from social service programs. We can cut those to the bone. Who cares about poor people anyhow? Just a drain on society, right?

I HATE THIS GOVERNMENT.

2/11/05 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay while i sort of agree with the idea that the bird flu epidemic is a diversionary tactic of bush and his cronies, but when you say that you dont keep any sort of birds/poultry, so you're not gonna worry is a gross oversight. if avian flu can infect a human, it can certainly be carried by humans. hence, you can be infected by a human! i'm not disagreeing with your bush diversion theory, i'm just saying you're a little simplistic about the topic.

3/11/05 1:56 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

I'm taking the possibility seriously, but the irony is not lost on me that it was Henny Penny who warned that the sky was falling.

4/11/05 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.