HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Cooking commences

I started cooking for Thanksgiving. Gulp. I'm one of those people who just can't leave it all to the last minute, no matter how much we have on the menu. I tend to start the weekend before with the cranberry sauces because they can be refrigerated for long periods of time. I make both the standard whole berry sauce, and an orange-cranberry relish that's my personal favorite.

Our Thanksgiving menu never changes. This is the Boy's favorite holiday because of the food, and he would be really upset if I tried anything 'gourmet' instead of the old standby's. In accordance with his demands desires we have turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green beans almondine, cranberry sauces, pumpkin pie and apple pie. I make the pies before hand as well, one on Tuesday, another on Wednesday. I'll also bake the sweet potatos and cover them to mash up and back on Thursday. Thankfully I have a very big oven that will fit everything.

My kids love the way I make turkey. I use fresh herbs from our herb garden. I mash the herbs with some olive oil, and then rub under the skin with this mixture. This flavors the turkey meat while allowing the skin to get really crispy. I usually make a bouquet of herbs that I place on either side of the breast, just for looks. I salt and pepper lightly inside the cavity, and then place a sliced lemon in there for aromatics. Smells great and adds a nice flavor to the bird. I don't brine because we use Kosher turkeys and they are already salted and very juicy. They don't need brining.

Standard stuffing, standard pies. Nothing special, but special because it's Thanksgiving. I love to cook for holidays.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I'll be starting cooking soon, myself.

Michele sent me. Sorry you were skipped. Hope this makes you feel better! :)

20/11/05 4:17 PM  
Blogger curiosity_kitten said...

Ack. Cooking. This is the time of year when I am so grateful to have a mother who can actually cook food without burning it. It would have been nice had she passed down that talent to me, however... :)

Michele sent me.

20/11/05 4:18 PM  
Anonymous colleen said...

This sounds delicious and I admire you for the work it takes. I've never enjoyed big cooking projects. Luckily, we go to a community pot-luck. Soon I'll be crying as I peel onions and then boil and creme them...industrial size.

20/11/05 4:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!
It sounds as if you are a great cook. Here in Canada we have Thanksgiving in October so I have to wait until Christmas for more turkey. I need to round up some American friends that I can visit in November!

20/11/05 4:25 PM  
Blogger panthergirl said...

Sounds great to me!!! Lucas and I will be alone again this year, but I don't mind so much. Until I read about a meal like that and wish my sister was closer and we could do it up right. ;)

Visiting via michele, although it's not really my turn to visit you. I just noticed you had been skipped a few times!

20/11/05 5:28 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Can I come? The Boy has it right, in my book! And BTW, YES, please help my template. I screwed it up and can't get it back. I can't find your email, but mine is in my profile, and I'm hoping attached to this comment when it hits your inbox.

20/11/05 9:11 PM  
Anonymous JustSue said...

mmmmm...I am suddenly starving! Thanksgiving here in Canada was last month (October) but I hope your Thanksgiving feast is a great success!

21/11/05 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.