HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 11, 2005

Flashback Friday--First Smootch



I've never participated in Karen's Flashback Friday before, although I've read plenty of them, but this one had me smiling and thinking back so many frigging years I'm embarassed to admit the number. Let's just say it was before man walked on the moon and leave it at that.

I had a boyfriend who lived in Seattle that was geographically impossible since I lived in Los Angeles. I met said fellow on one of our family's many trips to the Harrison Hotel in Harrison Hot Springs, British Colombia. This is one of those fabulously fancy hotels with kids clubs and restaurants to die for, horseback riding, swimming in one of their many hot springs pools, sailing or canoeing on their lake, etc. It's the Canadian equivalent of the Greenbriar Hotel. My family used to go there pretty much every summer, and we also went one winter, the very winter I met my Seattle love, Michael. He was a year older than I was, and quite urbane and sophisticated for someone 15 years old. Me, I was the Jewish girl from LA who wasn't particularly popular, wasn't particularly talented, and wasn't particularly loved by the boys at my school. I was fairly invisible amongst the other 5000 students at school, and I wasn't all that unhappy about it.

I met Michael and he was different than everyone I had met previously. First, although he was Jewish, he was secular. That was a new thing for me, a kid who attended synagogue regularly and who lived with observant and highly identified Jewish parents. Second, he knew about a lot of winter sports, not something that kids in LA in the 60's were all that cognizant of. Third, he was daring. I never saw his parents the whole time we were at the hotel. Either they ditched him or he ditched them, but they sure weren't hovering over him like SOME parents did. So we had time to explore and hang out by the pools, and even to take a sleigh ride in the snow.

The day before we were supposed to leave there was a tremendous blizzard and everyone was snowed in. Roads were closed, and we all hunkered down and had to entertain ourselves by the fireplaces. Michael and I found a private spot and spent time together talking about family and friends and school. He and I were snuggled up to keep warm and he looked up at me and reached over, grabbed my head and kissed me. It was the first romantic kiss I had ever experienced and..... it sucked. Absolutely nothing on the tingly toes scale. Blech. I was so surprised. I though I'd feel something, but this was just boring and sort of squishy and wet. Kind of disgusting in a way.

I was quite disappointed and thought that perhaps there was something wrong with me that I didn't even like, never mind love, the guy who kissed me first. It took me a long time to get over this, and it made me very self-conscious and unwilling to trust my own instincts about dating and boys. Already a bit awkward, this encounter set me back quite a bit. My parents, who usually never noticed that I was alive, suckered me into attending some Jewish camp thing that following spring. I didn't want to go, but I'm sure some bribary was involved and I reluctantly packed up and trudged onto the bus for a long weekend with a bunch of Jewish high schoolers glad to be heading out of LA into the mountains.

During that weekend I met what I consider to be my first real smootch, Vyto. If I weren't so careful, I'd tell you his last name because it's so wonderful and unusual that I'll never ever forget it. Vyto lived downtown in LA and I lived in the West Valley so we had totally different friends and our lives were very separate. I though he was incredibly interesting, not only for his name, but also because he was foreign, and I didn't meet too many people from eastern Europe aside from the Shoah survivors my parents knew. He wasn't gorgeous in a soap opera manner, but he was interesting looking, different, kind of romantically foreign like someone from a Tolstoy novel. And he was smart. Really really smart. At that time, I was in the throes of negating my intelligence thanks to my parents insistance that I was a moron, my complete lack of interest in high school, and my disrespect of anything reeking of authority, like teachers. I waas really really smart too, but it took someone like Vyto to uncover it behind the walls I put up. He was amazing.

One day I cut school and took the bus into LA and went to his house. He was cutting school too, and we took off in his Karmen Ghia and drove all over town exploring. We went back to his house for a big makeout session and this time it was like whoosh! Kaboom! This was way more like what I had hoped for a few months back. I remember being so excited and so hot that he mistook my excitement for an invitation to go further, and I wasn't then ready for that. That weekend Vyto asked me out on a real date to the planetarium in Griffith Park. We sat in the back in the dark and made out the through the whole program, and after that night I realized that there was nothing wrong with me, and that I could totally get into kissing in a big way. Yum.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Anonymous Karin said...

Great post! It's amazing how many first kisses left a lot to be desired. But it seems like somewhere out there was at least one guy that made that "whoosh" happen....thanks for sharing! :)

11/11/05 10:55 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

How does the saying go sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you met your prince :)

Michele sent me.

12/11/05 12:08 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I am a bit ignorant here, what is a kosher home?
Michele sent me
Maggie

12/11/05 12:09 AM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Hi Margalit. I saw your link on Michele's site and thought I'd drop by and say hi. I'm glad I did...I love the way you write!

I'm waaaaay past my bedtime, so I'm going to log off and go shluffy. But I'll be back over the weekend to read some more. I already like the words I'm seeing.

12/11/05 12:14 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Margalit,

Thanks for stopping by my blog..I'm happy to meet you hear in blogland! I live in L.A. and have for many many years...was here starting in the early 60's....have a sister, who died in Februatry who lived in Boston for..God, forever! I loved this post about THAT most impirtant kiss! I will be back to read more, too..

12/11/05 12:36 AM  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

excellent post!

michele sent me your way today. :)

12/11/05 3:44 PM  
Anonymous mar said...

Wonderful memories, enjoyed reading this. Michele sent me your way.

12/11/05 3:48 PM  
Anonymous colleen said...

I read the whole page and enjoyed it all...I love the Red Sox too.

12/11/05 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.