HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Mailman Suffers

Me: My name is Margalit and I am a catalog whore.

You: Hello Margalit.

Me: It started innocently enough as a kid rifling through my mom's catalogs. Back then there weren't a lot of them, but she got the usual Hammacher Schlemmer, Needless Markup, Harry and David, Lilly Vernon, etc. I enjoyed them, especially circling the items I wanted, knowing I would never get any of them. But a kid can dream, huh?

You: Murmering agreement and nodding heads.

Me: A few years ago I started getting a ton of catalogs. I don't even know why, because I rarely order from catalogs, preferring online ordering. But they kept coming and coming, and one day I realized that I was addicted. I would sieze the mail from my overburdened mailman and shift through it looking at all the glossy catalogs with breathlessness. I couldn't wait to dig in. After bit I realized that I had several favorite catalogs. You know, the ones that are so exciting that you just sit down and read them cover to cover no matter what else you have to do.

You: Looking a bit askance, but still nodding in agreement.

Me: When the Chefs Catalog, or Pottery Barn, or Sur la Table catalogs arrive, I just have to look at them immediately. I can't look at them without a pen, because I love to circle them items I want, even though I know even now that I won't be getting that $3000 expresso machine. Sigh.

You: Now looking horrified start gasping.

Me: I used to get a bunch of the kid catalogs, you know, Right Start, and Storybook and Hannah Andersen, but my kids have long outgrown that stuff. Now the Girl is a big fan of the Pottery Barn Teen catalog and the Boy can't wait for the Guitar Center catalog. But me, I'm still a slut for JJill, and any kitchen catalog. I have a few I don't really love, but will leaf through, like LL Bean and Domestications (don't they have the ugliest linens in the world?) but any home decorating catalogs, anything to do with cooking or food, and some clothing catalogs really excite me.

You: Smiling, knowing that it's over.

Me: So what catalogs do you drool over, and which ones go right to recycling?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

So glad to hear that I'm not the only insane person wasting all that time circling items that I'm never going to get in this lifetime!!!! LMFAO

23/11/05 6:23 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I really love Anthropologie's catalog and I used to get a great one from NY called Olive and Bettie, I think. And my guilty pleasure is ordering stuff from Frederick's of Hollywood. Cheesy, I know. But I wouldn't be caught dead in the actual store, so there you go.

23/11/05 6:47 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

Wireless catalog. Land's End. Runner's equipment. LLBean. I like Pottery Barn, but I'd rather see the stuff up close.

Happy Thanksgiving!

23/11/05 11:26 PM  
Blogger Marisa said...

Hi Margalit. Michele sent me today.

And I can totally relate. Lillian Vernon started it all for me too. These days I throw almost everything out. Except for my Title 9 catalog. And then I just drool over the things I can't afford. ($70 for running pants! you've got to be kidding me.)

24/11/05 1:47 AM  
Anonymous mooalex said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! I love Plow & Hearth and the Vermont Country Store catalogs... I've been a catalog freak forever! Have you tried http://catalogs.google.com ? Great place to sign up for even more!

24/11/05 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Karin said...

Catalog shopping is the best!

Happy Thanksgiving!

24/11/05 12:21 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I lived in Idaho for 3 years, basically, I did all of my shopping through catalogs. I like Pottery Barn kids, I could never afford their stuff, but it's nice to dream about my kids' rooms co-ordinated and clutter free.

24/11/05 9:25 PM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

i dated a mail man once. he hates you. now that he and i are broke up because he is a moron... i love you, order more catalogs... the heavy ones!!

25/11/05 12:17 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Margalit--I am recovering. We only get Cabelas and a couple of others now. I can help you, if you just reach out. I'm here, Baby.

26/11/05 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.