HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Santos for President!

Did you watch the live debate on The West Wing tonight? It was great. I only wish our real presidential debates could be as lively, as interesting, and as untidy as this one on TV. I've been a big West Wing fan from the getgo, and I'm having a terrible time missing Martin Sheen even before he's gone. The cast is shrinking by the week as President Bartlett's lame duck government runs out. Toby, my favorite misanthrope was about to be indicted for leaking secret information to the press regarding the military space shuttle. Charlie has all but disappeared too. Donna has made a couple of appearances and might be working on the Santos campaign, but Josh isn't thrilled about the prospect. The First Lady has a new sitcom (it stinks) and is no longer on the West Wing either.

So, for me, the new candidates are breathing some life into a tired show. I'm big on Matt Santos. I have to admit my absolute love for Jimmy Smits. He stole my heart back when he was on LA Law, and when he played Bobby on NYPD Blue I couldn't get enough of him. He's hot, and as Bobby he was the perfect man. His death sent me over the edge, sobbing uncontrollably. I'm a big Sipowitz fan, but Dennis Franz doesn't ring my bell. Jimmy Smits does. When he started on the West Wing I was excited to see him again on a weekly basis. When his opponent became Alan Alda as Arnold Vinick, I was especially happy because I like Alda from back in his MASH days, and I often see him on that science program on PBS where he appears to be as much of a science geek as I am.

Tonight, the debate was televised live and they both did a great job. Jimmy flubbed a couple of lines here and there, but he really made you believe that he was a proud liberal with a good agenda and a promise of a better future for the US. Alda, on the other hand, didn't flub a line but he was pretty evil, just like a real Republican. He talked about tax cuts, but had nothing else substantial to say. Hmmmm, remind you of anyone else we know and loathe? He attacked Smits for being liberal and I had to laugh to myself knowing that in real life Alda is a huge liberal. I wonder how hard it was for him to behave like a Republican. I don't know if I could have done that.

Anyhow, if you watched it, who did you think won the debate?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Iris said...

I'm too biased. I love Jimmy Smits and his character- but even so, I think that he won. But Vinick gets lots of points for a) suggesting the real debate and b) his audience visiting of ANWR.

7/11/05 11:06 AM  
Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

I kind of fell off the West Wing wagon a year or two ago. But I did catch the debate last night. And I have to say, I found both of them more compelling than our current leader. So consider my flight into fantasy complete.

Still, the presence of the actual NBC News logo made me look at it twice: is it real, or is it television?

7/11/05 11:22 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Lordy, I made the bigtime posting about the debate. Somehow, http://westwingnews.blogspot.com/
picked up my comments and added the blog link to a long list of other bloggers that posted on the episode. Go check it out.

8/11/05 12:33 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Alda made the better performance but Smits was handed the better lines so he won despite the stiff body language. At times I confused him with Al Gore!

If the debate was real I think Vinick would have done better since in previous shows he'd been shown to think well on his feet. During the debate he was shown to get confused and fall back on tired old GOP lines when confronted by Santos. I doubt that would have really happened to an old politico like Vinick.

This season has had some extremely good episodes. I'm impressed with this campaign season so far! I was a little choked up when, in one of the early shows, Leo McGarry symbolically passed on the "kingmaker" baton to Josh. It's great that the two former LA Law guys are back together again.

8/11/05 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.