HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 14, 2005

TMI

Sometimes I read a blog and I'm amazed at what people reveal about themselves. I like honesty and I appreciate when a writer takes stock of a situation and lets their readers know the pain they're going though. That kind of sharing is what blogging is about, the ability to let people inside your shell, to let readers get to know who you are beyond their monitor. But occasionally people have a tendancy to go a little to far, or give information that I don't feel I want to know. It's not that I'm the arbitor of what's proper netiquette, because I'm not. I certainly have shared more than I should about my kids and myself in the earlier days of the internet. It's that someplace deep down inside me I worry that the information we all put out there might be used against us in the future. I'm not secure in my trust of government and sometimes I wonder if it's smart for bloggers to be talking about illicit activities on such a public forum.

But to be honest, what does shock me are the bloggers that share very personal information about their sex lives. I have to wonder why anyone would want to be so honest as to discuss sexual positions, sexual desires and fantasies, and what kind of vibrators they use for masterbation. I'm not against any of those activities, heaven knows, but I don't think I'm the kind of person that puts that stuff out there in such a public arena, nor am I the kind of person that delights in reading or discussing such personal things online or offline. Maybe it's a generation gap kind of thing. I'm certainly from the generation that invented free love, and I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I went to college classes outdoors and did the topless thing when the sun was shining. I've spent summers in the south of France and went topless on the beach without a care in the world. I'm not a prude. But I have this nagging thing that says, "This is private, a matter between partners" and not for the world at large to know.

I'm in a space where I don't want to know how a blogger trims her pubic hair, or not, and I don't really need to know who has labial piercings and a clit ring. If you do, more power to you, but honestly, do you want your kids to be reading about it on your blog? I've read blogs that have descriptions of their genital piercings in gory detail. Yes, I don't have to read them, and for the most part I don't, but what does bother me is that our kids tend to get older and more interested in following their parents thoughts and feelings on their blogs, and I don't ever want my kids (Hi guys) to be reading this kind of information about me on my blog. If they're interested in the general topic, I'm happy to discuss it at length, but I'm not baring my soul or my private parts for my kids to read about in this blog. Sorry to disappoint you!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

JUmpin' Jiminy, M, what kinda blogs you been a-readin'?
;-)

16/11/05 2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.