HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 23, 2005

Can't believe I made it this far
Warning, really big rant here.

I've actually made it to 23 December without blowing up with my annual Christmas rant. This is a first. It usually hits me a bit earlier in the season, but I think this year perhaps because I've been so cloistered at home, it's not quite as apparent to me.

But Jesus peeps, isn't there ANYTHING else to blog about right now but Christmas? There must be something going on in your collective lives beyond this damn holiday. I just read a blog that blasted Happy Holidays and told me that the "Reason for the Season" was the birth of "our" lord, JC. Well, guess what peeps. JC is NOT the reason for the season for well over half of the world's population, nor is he OUR lord. He's YOUR lord. Not just the Jews, folks. You've heard of some of the other of the world's major religions. Like Islam. Heck, do you think THEY care if you have a reason for your season? They don't. Their reason is Ramadan and the Eids, and they already celebrated them this year. How about them Hindus? Are they going around screaming about their holidays? I think not. But there sure are a lot of Hindus in the world.

I'm aware that the Jewish world population is small. Heck, if you delightful Christians hadn't KILLED half of our population a few decades back in the name of Christian superiority, maybe we might have reached a full percentage point in the world religion roundup. Yeah, it's not YOUR fault, is it? But can't you just keep your damn holiday to yourself. One or two posts, sure I can swallow that. But when I am OBVIOUSLY not Christian, and it not only says that in my bio (look at the sidebar, kiddos), but it says it repeatedly in the posts, why do you think it's OK to wish me (repeatedly) a Merry Christmas? Is it because you're all so distant from anyone who is not Christian that you just make assumptions that this greeting isn't offensive to some? Or is it because you just don't give a flying fuck whether or not you're offending people, you're trying to make a point that Christmas is the reason for the season. People, WINTER is the reason for the season.

I'm tired of the stinky Christmas crap on TV. I'm tired of the constant Macy's ads, as well as all the other dreck I see in the newspapers, on TV, and everywhere I travel. I hate this frigging holiday because it's shoved down my throat whether or not I want to celebrate it. I don't want to celebrate it. Really. I have NO INTEREST whatsoever in Christmas. Just like YOU have no interest in my holidays. Because if you did, you would know that MY reason for the season was a couple of months back, in the early fall. Those are MY holy days, and I bet most of you don't know a damn thing about them, or if you do, you only know something about one or two, but not all of them. How come I have to know about ALL of the fricking Christian holidays but you can't know even the slightest thing about mine? Anyone see any problems here?

I'm very happy for all of you that celebrate Christmas, but I DON'T, so quit trying to make me feel like a piece of shit for not believing in your religion. I don't care that you're supposed to proseletyze, go find someone else to bother, and someplace else to do it. This is a JEWISH blog, and I'm so over Christmas.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled brag sessions about your trees. Yawn.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

26 Comments:

Anonymous The Cryer said...

My thoughts after reading your post (in no particular order):

Wow.
Ouch.
Well-written.
Sorry.
Thanks.

I don't really "get it" since I am a Christian, but it is a whole lot clearer to me now.

Here from Michele's

23/12/05 3:19 PM  
Blogger Romanduck said...

WOW and wow. I totally agree with what you're saying here and I too am tired of all the HOOPLA! Yes, I am going to hell, even though I don't believe in it, and yes I do not choose to worhip a guy named Jesus who, to me, was just a dude who like to tapdance on water (maybe) tons of years ago. Get over it people! We're not all Christ-a-bots!

Oh, and Michele sent me! :)

23/12/05 3:23 PM  
Blogger abrowncow said...

hello via Michele's


i've been an eclectic/celtic pagan for years now... but bow to pressure from family to celebrate "christmas" so we do it in the commercial sense

23/12/05 3:24 PM  
Blogger rashbre said...

Nothing bad intended.

A couple of months ago, I sent greetings to some of my friends in Israel, who were celebrating their Rosh Hashanah (5766?) and I know many of them had several days of peace with their families.

The current holiday season is much older than 2000 years, and probably goes right back to pagan times when Yuletide was the time for a small piece of last year's log to be used to light a new log for the coming year. A Winter Solstice tradition, much like the decoration of trees, which was a Druid ceremony related to evergreens as a sign of the undying power of the sun.

Like Santa was originally a Turkish bishop who got commandeered ultimately by the Coca-Cola company and converted to red clothing.

So, I guess, a lot of what we see pre-dates the current format and church revisionism and some of the rest is entirely secular in nature.

You made an interesting post it is good to pause to think about these issues.

Here today because Michele sent, me. I hope you don't mind if I take a look around.

rashbre

23/12/05 3:31 PM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

greetings to you from michele!

you know, i had to look to see if i wished you merry christmas in my comments yesterday (i didnt!) because i would not of wanted to offend you. i dont think most people who visit your blog, and i KNOW that those of us who visit from michele's, have the desire to upset you on purpose. some people just dont think, others dont pay attention. i know that telling you the "we" (meaning the general christmas spouting public) dont mean any harm will, not make you feel any better about it, but we dont, and i am truly sorry that you are upset by all of this.

you are right, i dont know much of anything about Jewish holy days. i have never, before you, met anyone who was Jewish. I would actually be interested in hearing about your faith. all i know is what i have seen in movies and televsion, and that just isnt much.

23/12/05 3:36 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

Wow. That's quite the rant. You don't really need me to tell you that you're points are interesting, or valid, but they are.

Personally I don't blog about religion. My extended family encompasses jews, christians, pagans, wiccans and agnostics, and I know too little to venture into that territory.

I solemnly swear to blog about something other than Christmas within the next few days. Care for a little cat blogging?

Cheers!

23/12/05 3:36 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

Rats. I forgot to mention the lovely Michele sent me.

23/12/05 3:37 PM  
Anonymous mar said...

You are so right. And you have the right to say it out loud. Good for you. I am not a Xmas person anyways. Have a nice weekend! here via Michele's tonight.

23/12/05 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had a post last week about being really pumped up for Chanukah this year. Can you just focus on that, and try to ignore the Christmas stuff? At this point it seems like tons of people celebrate Christmas even if they are not Christian. It's become more a celebration of gift giving, eating, and winter fun. I feel for you. I think even Christians get sick of all the commercialization of Christmas. It's a drag.

23/12/05 3:47 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Good for you Margalit! I do love Christmas but I'm not a Christian, either! I'm Jewish but I have a great feeling for the social aspects of Christmas and I love the decorations and all the lovely music..BUT...I wish you a Very Hapopy Hanukah, my dear...
Here is a Blog you might find very interesting...He is a good friend of mine named Danny Miller...and a WONDERFUL writer and Jewish and writes a lot about his background and ALL things Jewish...he just changed the name of his blog from Andy Hardy Writes A Blog..to..(Well, I won't ruin it..Go visit him and read what he says...)
http:dannymiller.typepad.com

If that is not correct..let me know...My finger ofetn slips, as does my mind! (lol) Always a joy to read you..and I'm here Via Michele this time 'round!

23/12/05 3:53 PM  
Anonymous colleen said...

Christmas was coopted by the religious establishment from the Solstice, which is an much older tradition practiced by pagans (pagan meaning simply country folk). I had a recent post on Winter Solstice...some on Christmas too. I think of Merry Christmas as a figure of speech greeting and am never offended by it and didn't think others would be. But, I do understand how bringing "Our Lord" into it could be offensive to many. When in doubt say "Happy Holidays." Thanks for sharing this awareness.

23/12/05 3:55 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

People, WINTER is the reason for the season.
Actually THAT is wrong too ( just trying to humour you a little lol) it is SUMMER HERE ;)
BTW I have been blogging about other things as well but don't go near my latest post :)
Michele sent me and my kids just watched a show on Disney channel all about Hannukah now my thirteen year old is singing the dreidel song off South Park which is not great but at least he knows what it is ! :)

23/12/05 6:39 PM  
Blogger panthergirl said...

I'm a completely non-religious Christmas person. Ho ho ho and all that jazz. I even have Jewish friends who celebrate a secular Christmas, but also celebrate the Jewish holidays. Whatever people want to do is cool with me, but I certainly understand how the Christmas overload could be bothersome to someone who does not observe the holiday in any form.

Hey... how about those Yankees?? ;)

Michele sent me.

23/12/05 7:11 PM  
Blogger Sue Richards said...

Heard today that due to global warming, Santa will be melted off the globe in a couple of years.

Happy return of the light!

From M's joint.

23/12/05 7:11 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

"stinky Christmas crap"

I love it!

23/12/05 9:32 PM  
Blogger Crayonsetc said...

Sorry for the previous Christmas Comment... I didn't read far enough.. and Happy Chaunukah! (I can respect other religions as well and I know Chaunukah starts on Sunday as well!!)

24/12/05 12:10 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I think that the people who wished you a Merry Christmas were also wishing you well with your health issues. Obviously, they mean well. The holiday has become such a commercialized Hallmark event that I don't think many people even realize that wishing you a merry Christmas would be offensive to you.

At any rate, it'll all be over soon....

24/12/05 12:35 AM  
Blogger nita said...

that's why *I* always say 'bah humbug'.

24/12/05 6:29 AM  
Anonymous kimbofo said...

Wow! This is a great rant!!

I am not Christian, I am not Jewish, I am not Muslim. In fact, I'm one of those rare people that had no religious up-bringing whatsover because my parents figured out that I could make up my own mind when I was old enough. (My mum is a Christian, my dad is an athiest.)

As for Christmas, well, I use it as an excuse to have a few days off work, and enjoy lots of good food and drink. But I don't decorate the house, I don't have a tree and for the most part I keep my head down low and try to ignore it...

24/12/05 1:01 PM  
Blogger kontan said...

i blog about Christmas because it's my blog and i can. i say merry Christmas as a generic greeting, or stick to happy holidays. nothing ill intended nor an effort to convert or offend. as for not knowing anything about any other holidays, wrong there. when my family gets together it is Agnostic, Muslim, Bahai, and Christian all celebrating our time together while respecting the others beliefs and practices. if you have been offended, apologies.

clicked from micheles.

24/12/05 6:53 PM  
Blogger melinama said...

Hail fellow, well met. I've been on a radio and tv blackout for ages trying to avoid the ho ho ho. I'm so tired of people telling me "Merry Xmas" is a "generic greeting" that I can't even be civil any more. Well, a crying jag and now your blog, must be a sign things are looking up. I'm posting Hannukah songs and recipes this week. (Last week, as a penance for MY grinchy anti-universality-of-Christmas rants, I posted songs for the majority.)

I'm with you, sister. Happy Hannukah.

25/12/05 11:53 PM  
Blogger Plumkrazzee said...

Here from Micheles

26/12/05 12:15 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

im back from micheles and wanted to add something i thought was funny. one of my closest friend married a japanese woman (from Japan, not descendant type) who is budhist, he says as a husband that makes him budhist too so they are budhae. he still calls to say merry christmas since thats what i celebrate, and i call them at new years because thats their big holiday. i guess its all about tolerance. which is why the PC crew is pushing happy holidays instead of merry christmas as the standard greeting. i never thought about it before, but perhaps i should.

26/12/05 5:27 PM  
Anonymous pia said...

Great post! And it's your blog; you rule it

We're two percent of the population; a measly two percent

I'm not observant. If people wish me Merry Christmas that's fine, though it could never be my holiday

Don't have kids. Haven't celebrated Chanukah in years; did this year

People don't seem to understand that this is as much our country as it is theirs. The First Amendment makes that clearer than clear

27/12/05 7:13 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Christmas, to me isn't so much about religion as it is about family.

While I consider myself to be a Chirstain (in that I believe that Christ died for my salvation), I do not align myself with any church. My relationship with Jesus and and God is personal. My church is where ever it is that I happen to hit my knees for prayer. I think that most Americans, or at least a pluralality of Americans view religion.

Christmas has been hijacked by Wal-Mart. It is a retail holiday now more than anything else.

But, Christmas is what you make it. For me, it is a time for drawing close to family and friends, and being thankful for the blessings God has given you.

And with that, I wish you a Happy Chanukah

27/12/05 5:10 PM  
Blogger Library Lady said...

I'm a non observant Jew married to a Christian and I celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday. And I'd rather have someone wish me a Merry Christmas than tell me I'm going to hell for not subscribing to their faith. They're sharing their holiday spirit and in this nasty, hateful world we could use as much of that as we can get, even if it is motivated by Hallmark and Walmart!

Fine by me if you want nothing to do with Christmas. Just be aware that your celebration of Chanukah with a bunch of presents is basically a mock Christmas. If Chanukah came any time of the year but December, you wouldn't be giving gifts any more than you would at Succos or Purim!

28/12/05 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.