HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Could somebody please explain Curling to me?

We got home a little while ago from a shopping excursion trying to find sleds for the kids. We did not buy the pieces of foam that sold for $30, nor did we buy the luge sleds that cost $40. I believe my kids will be going down our hill on cardboard boxes this winter.


Anyhew.. when we got back the kids were tired and sat down to watch a bit of TV. They chose to watch curling. Curling! What the hell is that sport about? There seemed to be teams of 4 people, both men and women. There are 3 broom guys, one behind the huge puck/ball thing, and 2 in front of it. And a 4th guy who pushes the huge puck/ball thing down the ice with the broom folks brushing the ice in front of it, trying to get it into a target. That's pretty much all we gleaned from this sport.

We did get totally into that new lugy-type sport called the skeleton. I'd love to do that. It looks like so much fun to go belly down on this tiny sled around a luge track at around 80 mph. Scary but fun.

So, who knows anything about curling?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me to see you, Margalit.

I read up on curling a while back when they added it to the Olympics but I've forgotten it all since then. I do recall deciding that I wasn't interested in watching it--so it must not have had much appeal to me. I guess it appealed to your kids tho.

I grew up near Lake Placid so I knew a number of people that did winter sports like bobsled, luge and skeleton. Those are soooo scary!

10/12/05 6:50 PM  
Anonymous surcie said...

Hey, Margalit! I'm visiting via Michele tonight. As for knowing something about the sport of curling, I sure as heck don't! It looks really strange to me.

10/12/05 6:59 PM  
Anonymous maggie said...

Hi, Michele sent me too! The only thing I know about curling, is that it is the event during the olympics that my husband and I won't be watching ... so I kinda like it ;) (less tv is a good thing!)

No idea.

Sleds are fun!!

10/12/05 10:28 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Sorry, can't say I know much of anything about curling - other than the tidbits you were able to glean already. I'm not sure, however, I'd be quite brave enough to attempt the 'skeleton.' holy cow.

Here via Michele tonight.

10/12/05 10:43 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

Men and brooms are just not natural!

I used to watch it as a kid, just because they had hot girls who wore skirts as they swept.

Here from Michele's -

10/12/05 10:49 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

curling is the go-to punchline for any winter olympics joke. That's all i know.

Thanks for the kind words at michele's.

10/12/05 10:53 PM  
Blogger kontan said...

not a clue on curling! we did used to enjoy cardboard boxes down the hill though!

here via michele!

10/12/05 10:56 PM  
Blogger OBDR said...

Men and brooms? Very natural. Watch Paul Gross in "Men with Brooms". Curling is all about the social - which you won't see on TV. And I don't think the good rules made it into the Olympics - like the winners buying the losers a drink. I hope they do it anyways.

10/12/05 11:17 PM  
Blogger Aginoth said...

Curling that's scottish for "Cold Bowls" isn't it?

11/12/05 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.