HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Pre-Op appointment number three

I guess it's lucky that my surgery has been postponed twice, because today's anesthesiologist (and I know that's not spelled right but just go with the flow, people) told me a lot of stuff that the other two didn't mention. How convenient that they forgot to mention that I might be intubated into recovery and if so, I could be sent to ICU. And how convenient was it to forget that I was getting a central line, a second IV in the pulsepoint of my wrist, and a third IV in the crook of my elbow.

Joy oh joy. I'm so looking forward to this part of the surgery. He also told me that I would have a sling, something nobody else mentioned, and that my stitches would be the melting kind, but I would need to come back in a week for a postop check.

Plus, they made me do another set of clotting tests, which meant more blood work and I had to pee in two, not just one, but two different cups. You try that sometime. First you do the antiseptic wipe twice, then you have to pee a bit in cup one, put it down fast, get cup number two in position and pee some more, then wipe the two cups and cover them, put them in plastic bags, then put the plastic bags in another plastic bag, and walk down the hall proudly holding a big freaking plastic bag o' pee. What a total PITA.

The best part of the whole experience was that they were running so late (only a two hour wait, and not one freaking US, People, or other gossip rag) so they put out muffins, bagels, scones, donuts, and pastry, plus coffee and juices. Now perhaps you see this as a delightful seasonal treat, but the fact of the matter is, most of the patients there can't eat the damn things. Cardiac patients aren't really encouraged to scarf down the carbs, you know. But shedding all caution to the wind, I gobbled up a blueberry scone and downed a huge 20 ouncer of pumpkin spice coffee. Only raise my blood pressure by about 20 points, but who gives a flying "f" at this point. I did the sudoko puzzle, and the crossword puzzle, read the entire newspaper with a couple of excellent recipes for cookies I want to try out, and still I was waiting. With the broken iPod, waiting that long really sucks.

So next Wednesday I'll be at the hospital (say it with a Spanish accent, it sounds much nicer) getting my heart carved up. Aren't we having some fun here?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

My heart goes out to you and my thoughts and prayers are with you too. I hope everything goes well and you have arrangements for the kiddos while you are having surgery? How long will your recovery be? Of course if I am getting too personal... I am sorry. Take care please. ((hugs))

21/12/05 11:36 PM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

ack! however, try to get as much recovery in the hospital as you can!! my mom was in for almost a week a few years ago for radiation when they found her thyroid cancer (its all gone, no worries). she said it was the best vacation she ever had! people waited on her hand and foot, fed her whenever she wanted, picked up after her, even held her hand in the potty if she wanted them to (gloved of course because you cant actually touch a radiation patient). she said she ought to go to the hospital every couple of years, just for the room service and the male nurses.

michele says hello.

22/12/05 12:37 AM  
Blogger sAP said...

Admire your spirit in what I would call a testing moment for many. Love your writing too. I don't quite enjoy doing the same things that you do... yet the the way you have got about writing them has got me interested in reading through the rest of your stuff... Hope you recover soon.

22/12/05 3:31 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Dude, "big freaking plastic bag o' pee" would be an awesome name for your first album! >:P Hang in there...

22/12/05 2:14 PM  
Blogger mar said...

You'll be just fine. I will be gone but thinking of you on wed. Stay tough. Merry Xmas to you, make a wish!

22/12/05 2:41 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow! I'm so sorry you are undergoing such a hardship. I certainly will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Hello from Michele's.

22/12/05 2:43 PM  
Blogger mar said...

Michele sent me again your way, hi!

22/12/05 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Joan said...

LOL! My dad had a quintuple bypass a couple years ago, and though his attitude was pretty good, he didn't take it nearly as well as you seem to be. I think it's awesome you can see the humor in all this. Keep that feisty spirit up - it'll help you heal faster, too.

Blessings on your surgery and recovery.

PS - Here via Michele's.

22/12/05 3:08 PM  
Blogger Chas Ravndal said...

hope that you will have a full recovery and get well soon. And also advance Merry Christmas as well.

Btw Michele sent me

22/12/05 3:09 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Margalit, I am so sorry! Hope everything goes well; as long as you can find some humor in it - you'll be ikay.

Michele sent me.

22/12/05 3:18 PM  
Blogger Zephra said...

Hi again. Seems I keep finding myslef at your blog. Maybe that is a sign.

From Michele's...

22/12/05 3:24 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Gosh, this must be some surgery. I hope it goes well and you recover quickly.

I inadvertantly jumped in front of you at Michele's, so the least I could do was visit and say hello!

22/12/05 3:31 PM  
Blogger Kimi said...

ugh...does not sound like fun!

Michele sent me.

22/12/05 3:41 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

Try not to fret too much about your surgery. They know what they're doing!


love,

p

here via michele today.

22/12/05 4:04 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Oh, I hate that last paragraph. Don't say it to the G's, because it scared ME, and I'm a surgery pro. You will have my full and prayerful attention on The Day.

22/12/05 4:40 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

(re - your post on my blog - your rants are always welcome. notice i didn't take any sides because i finde the whole thing tiresome)

22/12/05 4:41 PM  
Anonymous atpanda said...

Michele sent me, and oh my goodness! Heart surgery?? Isn't it amazing, though, that these surgeries have gotten so common in recent history? That is great news for you!
Best of luck on your surgery and a very happy holidays.

22/12/05 11:53 PM  
Blogger Sue Richards said...

Geez..you make heart surgery sound like you're going to the mall! I'd be flipped.

Best to you.

From M's.

23/12/05 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.