HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 09, 2005

Snow, schmow!

Gack...what a nutty day. I had to take the Girl to her doctor's appointment this morning at 8 am. We left the house in what should have been plenty of time. It had already started snowing, but nothing much, just an inch or two on the ground. The roads were slippery and we got there within the time alloted, and finished up her appointment in time to get her to school by 10. On the way we saw a minivan slip off the road and had to call 911. The car was full of kids, too. We were slipping and sliding on the road on the way back. Totally not safe driving, even for a good snow driver like I am. Dropped her off and went straight home only to get stuck going up our hill. The car was slipping and sliding and I KNEW I shouldn't have driven, but I eventually made it up the hill after battling it for at least 10 minutes and made it home. Everything was uneventful until the Boy arrived home a bit late, having had to walk up the hill as his bus couldn't make it. He was wet and tired and grouchy, and woke me up from a sound sleep with a litany of complaints. Nothing on TV except the news, screaming about the weather.



Looking out the window right before the Girl's school let out, I realized it was a complete whiteout and that there was no way I could either get her at school, or have her walk home. She called to tell me she was going to take a bus that was close by, but the busses hadn't come yet, and all the kids were waiting in the gym watching a movie. Then she called again an hour later to tell me that the busses still hadn't arrived. I was getting angrier and angrier at the superintendent, who should have called school early on, so this wouldn't have happened. At 4:50 pm she arrived home soaking wet, having walked a few blocks from the bus. She was 2 hours late and she was exhausted from walking through a foot of snow. No taxi's were running and nobody's moms were picking kids up because of the weather. We had a foot of snow in little under 4 hours. It was a complete mess.



But that's not even the worst of it. My friend's daughter got on a bus that skidded into a tree. They sent a second replacement bus and that one broke down in the snow. They then sent a third bus that got stuck in the snow and she ended up getting a ride home from the police. What kind of ridiculous school policy is it to put kids in such danger in order to keep the schools open? I am livid. But not nearly as livid as my friend. We'll be on the phone to the superintendent's office first thing, believe me. This never should have happened.

We finally got plowed out about an hour ago, but tomorrow is an inside the house, drink hot coco and watch old movies kinda day. No way am I going out in that mess.

Sunday we're going to the dog show, but we're taking the Ride. They can deal with the roads.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

What a horrific mess! Perhaps your daughter shouln't have gone to school at all! I love the photographs...THEY tell the whole story, don't they? It seems these schools don't get the gravity of what can happen with heavy snows!

Here from Michele tonight and happy she sent me!

9/12/05 11:59 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

Michele sent me.

Hi from the land of driving in white crap! Us Minnesotans deal with this all the time and there are still many who act like it's all new year after year and make me laugh.

I felt for the Girl. Hard to wait that long to get home. Thank God for hot cocoa!

10/12/05 12:13 AM  
Blogger buffi said...

Okay, I'll stop bitching about our six inches now! At least ours was after school yesterday. AND they cancelled school today. I believe your distict did make a very bad call! I would be livid as well.

Michele sent me. Hope you have a cozy, relaxing weekend!

10/12/05 1:13 AM  
Blogger Celena said...

Where I live (south west coast of British Columbia Canada), they cancel school when there's more than two centimetres (less than and inch for you non-metrics out there)!! There's been a lot of times when the schools get shut down in the middle of the day because of snow. (I swear it never snows more than 6 inches at a time here though, except during a major storm in 1996)

10/12/05 3:13 AM  
Blogger Carmi said...

I just love winter. Your experience sounds like my childhood in Montreal. Your words frame the pictures wonderfully. That streetcar/tram thing looks cool.

Michele says hi. I, on the other hand, wish you a warm and cozy Shabbat with your mishpacha.

10/12/05 12:23 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Boston does not always get lots of snow every winter...give us a few weeks and we'll be use to it!

At 2-ish the snow was bad and that's when school's let out kids so it is very very stupid on their part to not cancel school.

10/12/05 1:46 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Wow, what an ordeal. Did you get the "thunder snow"? We got it here in Norwood. Amazing...
Here via Michele today. Nice to find a local-ish blogger.

10/12/05 5:34 PM  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

i always wished and hoped for snow growing up. then i got to hear about how bad it can get sometimes. got to realize living in a tropical country isn't so bad..:)

michele sent me today.

10/12/05 5:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Michelle sent me...

Sounds like a horrible mess. Our schools had the sense to close but we had 8 inches of snow. I drove to work in it but the highways weren't plowed. That was a mess.

Hope you get somewhere with the school district!

10/12/05 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.