HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

This is a major disaster, folks

The Supreme Court today ruled that the disabled are no longer eligible to dismiss their past student loans, and that those elderly and disabled that are collecting social security can have their social security checks reduced by 15% in order to repay old student loans. This probably doesn't mean squat to any of you, but it means that I am now going to be unable to provide enough to feed my family. My social security payments are not huge by any means, and I worked 25 years to get them. I'm unable to work, and I can't get any more money or I will lose my social security. When I say I'm on a fixed income, I mean it. If the supreme court thinks that I'm ducking my student loans, they're wrong. I paid ALL of my student loans off years ago. But my parents, those delightfully evil people, promised to pay off one single loan, and they defaulted on it. I didn't learn of their default for years, but the loan caught up to me, and because they had not paid it for close to 20 years, and because the interest was so high when I left school in the mid-seventies, the loan amount had more than tripled from the original loan amount, leaving me in serious debt. I can't pay this loan. They started deducting money from my SSDI several months ago, and I had it stopped, but now they can start taking the money again. How much, you ask. Well, they can take $300/month of my check, which leaves me with a grand total of $119 for food, utilities, and incidental for a full month.

I'm so angry about this I could just scream. Please folks, contact your congressmen and women and ask them to please overturn this decision. They do have the power to do so, by passing a new law. You have no idea of how devistating this news is to me. I can't qualify for food stamps, I no longer have health insurance, and now I can't feed my family. We're going to have to go into a shelter because I can't afford to keep paying these outrageous housing costs when the government thinks it's just fine to keep taking money away from my family. We need this month desperately. They're going to deduct close to $25,000 for a loan I wasn't even supposed to pay. I can't do this, people. I just can't.

Please help by contacting your congresspersons immediately and begging them to overturn this dispicable ruling. To once again pick on the disabled and elderly instead of going for the rich to pay for this stupid war is outrageous. We need you to help, every one of you.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

I'm also on SSDI & don't see how this can possibly stand up. I would think there will be lawsuits filled by the ACLU & other organizations.

8/12/05 1:34 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Tax cuts for the rich, while everyone else gets screwed.

Welcome to BushWorld.

:-P

8/12/05 10:18 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

Your last paragraph says it all.

8/12/05 3:43 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

I'm with Jane--the ACLU has GOT to be filing a motion.

8/12/05 7:33 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

And yes, I will contact my congressperson

8/12/05 7:40 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

I can't find an email address for you on your blog -- Margalit, if you like, email me -- I've got a couple of ideas that might help (a little, anyway).

9/12/05 5:42 PM  
Blogger Celena said...

ugh.. Sometimes I just hate the way things are in the States.. it bugs the hell out of me! UGH! IDIOTS! Move to Canada. I'll sponsor you (ok, well, maybe I can't ACTUALLY do that, but if I could I WOULD!)

10/12/05 3:04 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

This country screws a lot of people while slashing taxes for the rich...so this does not surprise me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/12/05 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.