HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, December 25, 2005

UUUURRRRPPP. Oh excuse me!

I just finished eating about 20 lbs of latkes. And sour cream. And apple sauce. I think I might explode. I love latkes. I love sour cream. I don't eat either of those two foods unless it's Chanukah, and I give myself permission to indulge. Eating this much fat and carbohydrates is really bad for my heart, never mind my blood sugar. But heck, it's a holiday, right?

Last night the kids and I made a big batch of Peppermint Bark. This time we made both white and dark chocolate layered and topped with the crushed candy canes. Man, that is nectar of the gods. But we've been really good about only eating small amounts of it. I'll buy more candy canes marked down tomorrow, but I'm not making this stuff year round. It's supposed to be a winter treat. So maybe one more batch, and then we move on to Valentines Day candy.

Kids had a uberblast opening their pressies. We decided that they would leave at least 7 presents for the rest of the week, but I let them open a bunch tonight. The boy got pretty much everything he wanted and he was thrilled to death. Ditto for the girl. She especially loved the brown velour pantsuit (thanks Nita) and modeled it for me. It makes her look about 18, gulp. She loved the earrings, too. But what she loved best was the new CD player she got (plays MP3s, too) and the arm radio that she plans to use when she walks to school in the morning.

I opened a few of mine because I deserve to! I got a brand new blender. YAHOO. I'm so psyched. My old blender has an interesting story to it. I lent it to a 'friend'/neighbor many years ago, and she used it for about a year before I asked for it back. She then informed me that she had broken it, so we went shopping for another one, which she bought and kept. So I haven't had a blender in years and I've been dying to make smoothies for breakfast for me. Doctor recommended, you know. I'm way psyched about the blender. I also got a book I've been DYING to read, so I'm all set for the hospital. But the best thing was I got the coolest gift bucket of girly stuff like lotions and soaps and pedicure stuff (thank you Emily). If you guys ever saw my disgusting feet, you would know how much this is both needed and appreciated. Let me just say that rarely have you ever seen dryer skin on feet than I have. I look like I'm part lizard from the ankles down. It's bad. But I'm hoping for a vast improvement!

The Girl made me the coolest present. She went to the Clayroom and picked out an adorable box shaped like an ice cream cone. She painted the cone so it really looks three dimensional, and the ice cream is black raspberry flavored/colored. Way cool. She also made me a pretty shell bracelet with pearls, and two lovely cards. The Boy did absolutely nothing for me, as usual. But he got a couple of gift certificates to Barnes and Noble and he said he would use one on me to get me a book of my choice. I guess it's OK, but I wish he would get off his ass and at least make a card or something. Guys!

All in all, a very successful first night, and we're all fat and happy here.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

15 Comments:

Blogger Captain Typho said...

I managed not to pig out tonight, but I still had a good time watching my youngest cousin open her presents.

Happy Holidays!

Michele sent me.

25/12/05 9:02 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

I will compare ashy nasty scaly feet with you ANY day, and I will win. I will have to send you some of my homemade Castile soap for the winter. Soooo nice to your skin.

Glad you had a great day, and may the following days continue the trend!

25/12/05 9:35 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds perfectly lovely! A VERY HAPPY HANUKAH TO YOU!!!

I hope the rest of the days are filled with the same joy and the yummy food, as described!
Latkes...MMMMMmmmmmm! Love them, too!

I'm here from Michele tonight...

25/12/05 10:16 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Happy Holidays to you! If I hadn't eaten so much today, your post would've really made me hungry. Michele sent and now you've got entertaining the idea of snacking!

26/12/05 12:03 AM  
Anonymous Charles (Canadian in Hong Kong) said...

Greetings and Happy Holidays. Believe it or not, I have managed to avoid overeating... but that might change because we're hosting a dinner party tonight. So, better rush out for a run to burn off calories in preparation. Hope you're doing well... Michele sent me but I've been meaning to visit anyway. BYE!

26/12/05 12:46 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Margalit...
Michele sent me to see you, once again!
Did you make the latke's from scratch??? I sure envy you, if you did...I have never made them but my mother and grandmother both made them and they both were fantastic cooks!!! Yum again! (lol) One day I must try to do it myself....I hope the rest of your day was a lovely one!

26/12/05 3:25 AM  
Blogger Uisce said...

Happy Chanukah! I love latkes, but I haven't had them in a long time. Oh great, now I'm drooling on my keyboard!

26/12/05 11:22 AM  
Blogger David said...

after christmas sale at my blog!

26/12/05 1:12 PM  
Blogger David said...

I did not think about the gender difference with gift giving - how prevalent is that ? hmm

26/12/05 1:14 PM  
Blogger LilRed said...

Hey, gal! Thank you for visiting Lip Schtick ... I wanted to return the favor and tell you how much I enjoy your blog so far! I too, think standard poodles are pretty cool, and I loves me some peppermint bark (even though it kicks my acid reflux disease into high gear).

Happy Hanukkah!

26/12/05 2:48 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

YAY!!! I am so happy you are having a wonderful holiday!!!

26/12/05 4:54 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

Is it wrong that I see the word latke and all I think is Andy Kaufmann in Taxi ?
I am going insane don't mind me, I got a cheese grater for Christmas sorry but WTH a cheese grater. I would rather have had the book gift cert LOL
Michele sent me today.

26/12/05 5:07 PM  
Blogger emily said...

Yay, so glad the gifts are going over well! Hope you and your feet and the kids have an easy trip through surgery tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you all...

27/12/05 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie Davies said...

Hi! Thanks for explaining on my blog about how much easier Channukah is than Christmas :) Sounds a lot more fun too! I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday :)

I know you won't be around to read this today as you will be going into your heart surgery...I hope it goes very well. My thoughts and prayers are with you {hugs}. I'll check back for updates!

28/12/05 7:09 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

I hope the blender that your friend bought for herself falls off the counter and lands on her toe.

What a nasty thing for her to do!

11/2/06 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.