HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 16, 2006


Another Shameless Appeal
So many new visitors have been stopping by recently, and I want to welcome you all and thank you for taking time to visit. While you're here, let me tell you a bit about myself and my family, so you don't feel lost in the wilderness without reading the archives.

I'm Margalit, mother of fraternal twins I call the Girl and the Boy. They're 13 years old and are as different as night and day. We have one cat who is known as the Worthless Pet. He spends most of his time sleeping in the pantry atop the stack of paper bags awaiting recycling.

I used to work full time as a writer, however I no longer work due to a congenital heart defect that has gone kaflooey recently. I am still writing at home, however, working on a novel and of course blogging. I also work occasionally as an educational advocate, helping families with special needs children attain services through their often reluctant public school systems, as well as finding appropriate schooling choices for special kids.

Past jobs have included:
10 years as a college instructor, teaching writing
6 years as a secondary school English and Social Studies teacher
21 years in high technology
1 miserable summer making puzzles at Milton Bradley
kiln builder and potter

I've lived in Massachusetts since I ended up here for Graduate School, leaving once for a 2 year sojourn in the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina, and returning to California for 4 years. Although I abhor the weather in MA, I can't really imagine raising my children anywhere else, especially after living in Northern California for a while. Definately not our style.

I've traveled all over, but my favorite places to visit remain Italy and England. In the US, I can't think of a nicer place to spend a week in summer than Block Island, RI. I've been all over Canada, and another great vacation spot is Shediac in New Brunswick. Warm water, French language, and the worlds largest lobster. Can't go wrong with that combination. My favorite childhood vacation spot would have to be Harrison Hot Springs in British Colombia.

I'm an avid reader and my favorite author is Robertson Davies, a brilliant Canadian author. I read a lot of Victorian fiction at University and wrote a thesis on Wilkie Collins and Sensation Novels. Now I read a lot of contemporary British fiction, which I prefer to American fiction as a rule.

I watch TV unabashedly and am a huge fan of Lost, Gray's Anatomy, and the Amazing Race. I'm not a fan of American Idol, the dancing and ice skating celebrity ripoffs, or most sitcoms. My kids also watch TV and play video games on their Xbox (nothing violent). They eat moderate amounts of junk food including candy and ice cream. They are both skinny and healthy! Sugar doesn't make they crazy, they were crazy to begin with.

I love to cook and am passing on this love to both kids. The Boy is more interested in meal preparation while the Girl prefers baking. We're ramping up now to more complicated items in the hopes that they'll be able to cook adequately for themselves when they hit college. The Boy only has a couple more years to go, so it's important to us both that he learn how to make the foods he likes.

That's a pretty fair summary of life here at Chez Cough and Wheeze. If you like what you see, please consider voting for me here. And while you are voting, here's a plug for our beloved Belinda at Ninja Poodles, who is in the running for Best New Blog. Her blog is great and she's the most delightful person.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger valbee said...

I've been to Block Island! I'd never heard of it until I went to visit a friend in CT and we took a daytrip there. It was spectacular! We got back to his house after stopping for seafood in Mystic and I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. All that fresh air and ocean breeze.... thanks for reminding me of it! :)

17/1/06 8:51 PM  
Blogger Ayelet said...

Thanks for the summary. You have such a great style with your writing. So honest. Love your name by the way. How do you come by such an Israeli sounding name? (Ach. Why do I always do that? I ask questions in the comments section and then I never remember where to check back for the answers. I'm such a pain!)

23/1/06 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.