HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Jamaica Jamaica!

I've been such a reggae frame of mind. Maybe it's because it's 60 degrees outside in January. That could be contributing to the fact that I can't seem to get enough reggae. I like to listen, close my eyes, and imagine that I'm in Kingston. I've got this "The Harder They Come" frame of reference, where it's still in the 70's and everyone is smoking huge spliffs on the street and the whole city reeks of Jamaican gold. Ah, those were the days. I was introduced to reggae by Perry Henzell, the man that made The Harder they Come. He was a 'friend' of my sisters, and I saw the movie when it first came out in LA with them. It was magical and I never forgot the film. I bought the soundtrack, and that brought reggae into the forefront of my musical loves. From there I started listening to Marley, Cliff, Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Toots and the Maytals, Black Uruhu, Burning Spear, The Ethiopians, Aswad, and a bunch of more obscure artists.

It didn't take long for me to fall for Ska once it came out. I was a huge fan of the (English) Beat, the Specials, Madness, Selector, Bad Manners and the BodySnatchers. I couldn't get enough of ska, the best dance music I've ever heard. Something about ska makes me want to jump up and down with pure joy. But reggae, that was always a favorite and when I'm feeling blah, I just have to put on some reggae or ska and I feel like I'm 23 again, and swimming in the deep turquoise blue Caribbean sea.

Today it was time to expand the CD collection. I took the kids to our favorite CD store, and while they browsed the rock, I picked up the new Damian Marley, Welcome to JamRock, and Matisyahu, Live at Stubbs. I'm listening to Matisyahu as I write this. It's rather a unique take on reggae. Matisyahu is a Chasidic Orthodox Jew, and he sings fairly observant music to a reggae beat. It's original music and very different and unusual, but I like it. Damian Marley is the 23 year old youngest son of Bob Marley. He is carrying on the Marley tradition by singing Rastafarian songs with a voice that brings Bob back to life. Plus he is so freaking HOT. Oh my G-d, he is so beautiful you can't believe he's actually human. Mmmmmm.

Now all I need is some rum punch, palm trees, and a nice beach chair and I'm all set. Jamaica, Jamaica!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Damian Marley is nice to look at.
I was in your neck of the woods today, had breakfast at Johnny's in the center.
Michele sent me.

21/1/06 4:52 PM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, you really are in a Jamica Mood. Thanks for the neat memories. Michele sent me. Damian Marley is really hot looking.

21/1/06 4:54 PM  
Blogger PresentStorm said...

I love Bob Marley ...I may have to check out his son ...never heard of him even.

Here Via Michele :)

21/1/06 4:56 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

ah yes, the Specials, English Beat, General Public. Good tunes

I actually have a promotional album by Jimmy Cliff before he became big.

Steel Pulse is one of my faves.

~Jah chele sent me

21/1/06 5:02 PM  
Blogger Killired said...

i'd love some rum punch, palm trees, and a nice beach chair too!

here via michele...

21/1/06 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Chele In {dot} LA said...

mmmmmmmmmm rum punch..
nice
over again from the other Michele's.

21/1/06 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Chele In {dot} LA said...

mm good music

21/1/06 5:42 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Gosh, I never could develop an ear for ska or reggae. I like it a little, but mostly when I'm next to a pool with a tall drink.

Michele sent me!

21/1/06 6:06 PM  
Blogger David said...

a hassid singing Reggae? now I have heard it all - barbara sent me
are you in the blog olympics?

21/1/06 8:50 PM  
Blogger Radioactive Jam said...

This Matisyahu - that's the most intriguing "concept" I've heard about in some time. Adding him to my list of go-listen. Thanks!

Here from Michele's. I'm going to have to revisit you tomorrow when my eyes will stay open, there's lots to see here!

21/1/06 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Deana said...

Ah reggae does put you in a cool fun state of mind doesn't it? I love Jimmy Cliff, I even like to watch that Robin Williams movie "Club Paradise" over and over with him in it. And Bob Marley's music is just some of the best period.
I wish I knew more about other stars...your post gave some nice leads.

22/1/06 11:10 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

It's so funny that you mention Matisyahu because I happened to actually sit down and listen to one of his songs this weekend. His video was on VH1 or something. He is quite a poet. It was the song "King Without A Crown". It was the line "givin' myself to you from the essence of my being..." that caught my ear.. then I HAD to keep listening.

I don't know much about him and his views but I really love his sound and his way with words. Good Call Margalit :)

23/1/06 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.