HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Misc. Sunday Topics

The Girl just made me a smoothy. Blueberry Peach. It is very tasty, although really cold. However, it would taste a lot better without the large chunks of wood in it. Another wooden spoon bites the dust.

Last night I had miserable insomnia. I watched Frontline on TV at around 2 am and got so upset that I really couldn't sleep the rest of the night. It was the show on American torture in Iraq and at Gitmo, and it was so agonizing that I literally froze on the sofa, barely able to breathe. The show followed the paper trail from Rumsfeld through several multi-star generals, and down to the MI and MPs who were 'following orders'. And you know what? They were following orders, right from Mr Rumsfield himself. It's one thing to read about this in the newspaper, it's another thing to see the various participants and to look at the documents signed by that self-righteous asshole telling soldiers to discount the Geneva Convention rules of war, plus all international rules of war, and exactly how to torture the captured Iraqi's, especially in Abu Graib. Watching Rumsfeld testify over and over again in front of congress and LIE through his teeth is so disconcerting. This government is so corrupt and so immoral. It makes me sick.

So then, because I was all wound up, I read an entire book that had arrived in the mail today from the most delightful Neener. She sent me Julie & Julia, a book I'd been dying to read since Neener first pointed me to Julie Powell's blog some 2 years ago. The subtitle for the book kind of describes it all: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, & Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living. Julie Powell decided that her life was going nowhere at the age of 29 and took up both blogging and a project. The project ws too cook every recipe in Julia Child's seminal volume 1 of Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. The book isn't quite as funny as her blog, and of course so many of the disasters and successes in the kitchen aren't in the book, but it's a fairly good representation of both the blog and the energy it took to finish the project.

I loved this book. I cried at the end. I'm a sap. What can I say.

Update: The Julie/Julia Project blog is still up, but you have to manipulate the pages yourself by changing the date in the URL. Here is the first post. From there you just have to change the dates forward to read the posts.

Last night we watched Spike Jonze's film Adaptation. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Of course, the first scene was the set of my all time favorite American movie, Being John Malkovich, and I'd read the book on which Adaptation is based and loved the book, so this was a no-brainer. I knew I was going to like this film. But the ending...POW! It was quite the surprise and I was laughing and crying and in utter shock all at the same time. I was totally blown away by the Hollywood parody and thought it was brilliant. If you haven't seen it, rent it today.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger craziequeen said...

Hi Margalit :-)

If you like powerful books, I can strongly recommend Wild Swans - my alltime favourite book :-) Three generations of women in one Chinese family, from warlords, through Communist to freedom....

cq
MSM - this time..

8/1/06 5:04 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Mr. kenju and I met Rumsfeld just before the war started. He was charming, and charismatic. Had I known then what I know now, I might not have been so charming myself.


Michele sent me.

8/1/06 5:14 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

I DID update Margalit, I think people are seeing a cached version. Stupid blogger

http://wendyswhimsies.blogspot.com/2006/01/bloggers-block.html

8/1/06 5:18 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

You had quite the night Margalit! That FRONTLINE is an amazing show and that particular on, sickening, as you said...

I'd love to see Julie's blog...but there wasn't a link for that...
This book sounds pretty amazing!!!

And I Loved ADAPTATION a lot!
Good Film!!!

Here from Michele today...!

8/1/06 5:24 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

I actually picked up Julie and Julia at the bookshop the other day, picked it up then put it back after I saw the price LOL
I will try and get this one out of the library.
( michele didn't send me I just came back to read your post after hitting my blog)

8/1/06 5:24 PM  
Blogger Theo said...

you have been busy.

nice to know about the book and the film.

here from Michele's

8/1/06 5:30 PM  
Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

I've wanted to check out that film for awhile. Must rent it soon and actually watch it.

Here via Michele's

8/1/06 5:35 PM  
Blogger Plumkrazzee said...

I love Nic Cage...hope you're enjoying your weekend, Michele sent me.

8/1/06 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Deana said...

Michele sent me today...hope you've had a nice weekend. I have never mixed blueberry and peach but it does sound good. I hate insomnia.....it just makes me a different person.

8/1/06 6:43 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Michele sent me back again Margalit, my dear...

I have nothing new to contribute except that I don't think I've ever had a "Smoothie"...Hmmmm. I seem to be missing a lot!!!!

8/1/06 7:16 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Wood = fibre. Their hearts were in the right place. My wife and I tell ourselves this every time our little ones try to make something to eat for us.

Bless them.

8/1/06 7:24 PM  
Blogger neener said...

So glad you liked the Julie/Julia book. I cried at the end too. Doesn't her hubby seem like a sweetie? And what about the maggots chapter.

9/1/06 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.