HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Deadly honest here


I want to go to BlogHer. I want to go so badly I can barely stand to look at the list of attendees as it grows daily. I want to hang out with some of my favorite bloggers, and one hog snorting husband. I want to learn some new stuff about the future of blogging from some of my blog heros. I want to go back to my old haunts in the San Jose area and say "hi" to a couple of old friends. I want to socialize with other bloggers and talk about those universal blogging topics like "should I blog this or is someone in real life going to be miffed if they read about it in my blog?" I want to ask some bloggers how they can stay eternally funny despite the fact that life is biting them in the ass. But mostly I want to go because I think I've got a lot to learn and a lot to offer. I want to improve my blog, I want to make it more interesting to the masses, I want to be more topical, and I want to be able to help our community at the same time. I have directions I want to go in, I have ideas I want to share, topics I want to bounce off people and I can't do that on my blog. So I need to go to BlogHer in the worst way.

OK, that's the justification for my wanting to go. What's stopping me? Oh, come on. You know. Money, evil, satanic money. I don't have it. This would be probably the most expensive weekend I've ever spent. I've checked out the plane fare, and it's so not cheap in the middle of the summer. The conference itself isn't outrageous, and there are some sponsorships available to the right blogger (me, pick me!), but that still doesn't cover travel and accomodations. I can't do it. I can't justify it. It so sucks.

I was momentarily jealous of the Bloggers in Amsterdam thing, but I can deal with the disappointment. I got to live there and those folks only get to visit. But I really really really want to go to BlogHer. I'd even drive out there if I could drive and had a car that would make the trek, neither of which are plausable. I think it sucks that they keep having this conference on the west coast. I'm so over California.

So purty please, give me some ideas on how I can get someone to sponsor me?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

15 Comments:

Blogger WendyWings said...

Well as you just came from my blog you know I am in no position to sponser anyone for anything LOL
I know what it is like to want something that badly and have no way in hades of getting there though.
I hope you find a way,Michele sent me but I was actually here this morning and just never said anything :)

24/2/06 12:08 AM  
Blogger indigo said...

hihi...thanks for dropping by my blog. hope all's well with the problem you've faced with your real-life reader. mine's kinda lingering for a bit... oh well.

as for sponsorship - try approaching local newspapers with a story about that conference weekend, or an online e-zine. offer to write several how-to columns at and after the conference, on blogging, etc. how about podcasting? just some thoughts thrown your way... good luck!

24/2/06 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

What about if you write to Microsoft and offer to wear a publicity tee-shirt throughout the weekend? Or maybe WordPress or TypePad? Would the Jewish website you highlighted earlier this week be interested?

I would never do that - I personally dislike the idea of asking other people to pay for me to do something I want to do - but if you think it is worth it and are willing to ask, than I hope you find somebody or some organisation who agrees to sponsor you.

24/2/06 11:08 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Sorry, all my money's gone to home renovations, lol. We're not planning our next Cali trip till 2009, and we're already saving for it.
You could always try a paypal donation button. Ya never know. Good luck!
Michele sent me.

24/2/06 11:22 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. I hope your daughter enjoys the post :p

Here's how I can help... I'll make you one sign made from cardboard with "Will Work For BlogHer" written in any color Sharpie you'd like :p

24/2/06 11:26 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Pretty cool conference! Hi from Michele's. Good luck with getting there.

24/2/06 11:42 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I read somewhere yesterday, that a blogger wrote to Ellen Degeneres and asked her to sponsor her. Maybe you could do that too?

Michele sent me.

24/2/06 3:14 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

BTW I had to laugh at your So over California statement. A friend of mine said that exact same thing as we were sitting in Starbucks on Melrose as she hobbled around on her crutches from falling at the airport on her way to CA, then she crashed her rental car into a pole on the way to said Starbucks.
Your so over California reminded me of that day lol
Michele sent me, sorry I just rambled.

24/2/06 3:24 PM  
Blogger mar said...

I followed the first BlogHer and loved it. I hope for you that you can go and represent the ones (like me) who cannot attend because it is just so far away (should read:expensive) Michele sent me tonight, wishing you a ticket to BlogHer, but unfortunately I do not have any great sponsoring ideas at the moment...*sigh*

24/2/06 3:25 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

We're giving up our annual trip to (get ready to die laughing) The Poodle Club of America National Specialty Show in order to go to BlogHer. PCA is normally in Maryland, and we would drive, because we would have dogs to show. But with the move and everything, this year we won't have any young ones ready for the "big show." And we're still not a sure thing, unless I can scrape together the airfare, which is considerable.

Many, if not most, of the BlogHers I read regularly have prominent "Help Send Me To BlogHer" banners on their sites right now for donations.

Alternatively, MANY have set up CafePress shops, which I think is free? to sell T-Shirts to help cover their expenses.

It could be great fun thinking up logos and slogans! So far Sweetney's is my favorite, because I am a blogging dunce! Another one that caught my eye was "BlogHer '06: I'm Boring In Real Life, Too!"

25/2/06 5:04 AM  
Blogger kristal said...

Hmmm... I don't know, but if you get a good idea, let me know! I'd love to go, too!!

25/2/06 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Pearl said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

How about hitchhike with camping gear? Or if you have to fly out, work out a deal with an airline to be the official (blogger? songstress? seamstress? insert skill here?) of the airline and get them to let you travel free for the entainment you provide to other passengers?

Once there living in a flop motel could add to the memorbleness of the adventure. I've stayed at a couple under $20 a night places. Would definitely give you something to blog about.

25/2/06 7:26 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

That does look cool - but anything slightly related to Cali is always expensive. *heh*

Here from Michele's.

25/2/06 7:49 PM  
Blogger GraceD said...

My dear...if it would help you at all, stay with me at Chez State of Grace. I live in a sweet beach town over the hill from the BlogHer festivities. I have a house full of BlogHeristas, but there's room for you. Truly.

25/2/06 8:48 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Grace, if I get enough for a plane fare, I'm taking you up on this. As one who used to live on the other side of 17, I'd adore a weekend in SC, which is one of our fondest memories of living in NoCal. The boardwalk, the cool shops, the excellent beach. Can't say "no" to that, can I?

Thanks for thinking of moi!

25/2/06 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.