HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 16, 2006

I'm thinking of taking up alcohol

I am an insomniac. I can't sleep at night because I'm so stressed out lately. I'm thinking that maybe cocktails might be just what I need. Thing is, it's been years since I've had a drink. I'm not an alcoholic or anything, I just don't keep alcohol in the house. I think that's fairly prudent with two teenagers in the house. I did buy vodka a couple of years ago to make Limoncello for Purim. I gave one bottle away, the second bottle is still in my freezer, and I never remember it's there.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of those bottles of mixers for cocktails like Appletinis and Mojotos. I've never had either, but the mix looks really tasty. The bottles are so pretty. Nice bright colors, too. I haven't a clue as to what to buy though. I don't know what I like. I haven't really had cocktails other than margaritas, which I love, since college. That was, oh, eons ago. I used to like a Tequila Sunrise and Gin and Tonic. I never liked anything ultra sweet or very dry. I wasn't a Whiskey Sour or Gimlet type of girl, either.

What I'd like from you, my cheeky little monkeys, is some suggestions for easy, drinkable cocktails. I think I'd prefer to have something au currant, so maybe I wouldn't feel like such a loser if I ever should go to a bar and have a drink. Not that this is going to happen, but being a former Girl Scout, I like to be prepared for all occasions. I can't really afford a lot of different types of alcohol and I don't really want much in the house, but I'd like to try drinks with either Vodka, Gin, or Tequila. No whiskey or scotch for this mama.

What say you all?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Blogger mommyof4 said...

I have so many bars within walking distanceofmy house. I have had the ideaofbeing a frequent visitor to all of them! Lol Those drinks look very good. Wanna go get some?!!

16/2/06 9:39 AM  
Blogger California Highway Guy - Daniel said...

Heh.

I just did a post on my blog (click here) about how we're not really drinkers, and we have too much booze in our house (for some reason folks give it to us when people die). What am I going to do with 3 bottles of Chivas, or 5 bottles of Drambuie.

So we'll probably use some for cooking, but as for the rest... at least we have a wet bar to store it in.

16/2/06 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Maryanne said...

Hello,
I come from "Reign of Ellen", look forward to reading your comments about lost. First time here visiting your blog and I have to say I am impressed. Good Job.
About you question,
I was recently introduced to a drink called a "Breeze"
It's made with a shot of vodka, a cup of cranberry juice and a cup of orange juice. You pour it into a glass with ice, mix it up and you're good to go. I hope you give it a try. Let me know what you think.

16/2/06 10:00 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

whats there to think about! go for it! LOL

I find Red Wine is relaxing. not alot just one glass will do before bedtime.

as for drinks, I am a vodka or tequila girl. but in moderation. too much is not good. Margaritas on the rocks is my choice for Tequila.

I LOVE Bloody Marys for my vodka drink (but it has to be very spicey!) if you can find Zing Zang Bloody mary mix you are good to go! that stuff is the best.

Good Luck and Have fun!

16/2/06 10:24 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

They have flavored vodka's now - two of which i've tried and LOVE - Raspberry vodka with 7up (or diet 7up in my case) OR Orange Vodka with Orange juice. YUMMY!!

AND - Captain Morgan's Rum and diet pepsi is da bomb!! That's my new favorite as of late. Very easy :-) Course, none of these are "pretty" but they are definately tastey.

I'll be interested to see what other ppl post - I bet i'll have to add to my alcohol collection too :-)

16/2/06 11:45 AM  
Blogger Celena said...

Well, I don't have any suggestions, 'cause I'd have TOO many if I started! (I used to bartend, and I still work in a restaurant serving drinks) But I'm commenting to tell you that I know what you mean about wanting a drink to help you sleep. I've recently started doing this! I've been drinking Irish Cream with hotchocolate at night sometimes to help me wind down. Very tasty! Not something I'd really recommend for you to go out an order or anything, but it works to help but me to sleep!

17/2/06 12:54 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Go with the Mojitos, Margalit. A little light rum, some lime, and mint, and you'll think you're in the Caribbean somewhere. LOVE them.

18/2/06 11:51 AM  
Blogger Carmi said...

I am the world's most inexperienced drinker. So any suggestions from me would likely be useless. A l'chaim on Friday night is pretty much the extent of my alcoholic skill.

I am reading the other comments with interest, however. Maybe I'll learn!

18/2/06 4:00 PM  
Blogger The Torch Singer said...

Mojitos are the BEST!!!

I am actually a champagne girl myself...
or a nice glass of wine will do fine.

The problem with the cocktails is they will get you pretty drunk, pretty quickly and they really are just all sugar!!!

Michele sent me...

18/2/06 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Federico Garica Lorca
used to uncork a
bottle or two of wime
whenever the duende dwindled for a line.

James Joyce
would have preferred a choice
of brandies in decanters made by Tiffany's,
but rotgut was the shortcut to epiphanies.

The Later Henry James
bet shots of rum against himself in games
of how much can we pyramid upon a
given donne.

Little Dylan Thomas
couldn't keep a promise
to stay out of Milk Wood.
He tried to drown the fact as best he could.

Anna Akhmatova
Eyed the last shot of a
Pre-war cognac de champagne.
"So much for you, little brandy. Do svidanya."

T.S. Eliot
used to belly it
up to the nearest bar,
then make for a correlative objective in his car.

Proust
used
to
too.

18/2/06 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was George Starbuck, by the way.

18/2/06 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.