HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 03, 2006

Now back from our commercial interruption

No, I did not kill myself over Alito's confirmation. Nor did I move to Canada after the State of the Union speech, although I do admit, Thailand has been calling to me lately. My children did not attack me and leave my lying on the floor in my own vomit whilst they raided the cupboards of all junk food. No, it's a lot more mundane than that. We had a bit of a storm, really almost nothing, Tuesday past, and apparently Verizon, provider of phone and DSL services in my area, wasn't able to handle a bit of wind and ice. So 'the box' failed, rendering us phoneless and internetless for 3.5 days.

It was interesting not being able to go online for several days. There were things that happened that I said "Oh, I have to blog this" but then couldn't. There were things I wanted to comment on, like the "State of the Union" joke, but that just passed by without my pithy commentary. I'm sure you're all so disappointed. There were things I really wanted to read, like the results of the BOB awards (congrats to all the winners) and things that I left half done. But the world turned, and life went on, and I survived without my 'net access. It was tough, and required copious amounts of raspberry chocolate chip ice cream to get over the hump, but I did it!

I must admit, the boy told me at least ten times during this trying period "not to fret". He's become aware of my blogging obsession. I thought I was hiding it well, but the Girl has a friend over and he was explaining blogging to her and said "My mom is obsessed with blogging" and I hotly denied it and he said, "You know the first step is to admit your addiction." That damn kid is just too fricking funny.

So life went on here, quietly and calmly and I discovered that I really don't miss the phone one bit. As soon as it was connected again this morning, it rang and rang and rang. People, let me be. I'm happy to be a luddite these days. Except for my internet connection. Don't ever take that away from my again!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

Hehe, I hate being separated from the internet! It's awful enough when it's just down for a few hours.

Oh, and I hate the phone--ALWAYS!

Michele sent me ;)

3/2/06 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Pearl said...

I feel your pain. I went without internet for a few days a couple times, umm...2002 I think it was.

So far as that Bush address, the border's always open to you. But yeah, Thailand is looking a mostly safe distance too. lol.

Glad you liked the joke (at Humanyms I mean).

cheers,

3/2/06 5:30 PM  
Anonymous knitti-me said...

Yeah, it's a bit like having your arm cut off when you don't have internet connection. I can do without the phone though.

Here via Michele's.

3/2/06 5:30 PM  
Anonymous netchick said...

Hey Margalit! Thanks for dropping by today. Hell, it's okay to be obsessed with communication, I think. It's cathartic, and healthy.

Or, maybe I'm trying to cover for my own obsession.

Have a great weekend!

3/2/06 5:56 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Being without a phone is easy for me, Margalit, but the Internet? Now that would be very difficult.

So, are you to a point where you can follow the advice of your son? Admitting to the addiction is the first step!

Michele sent me.

3/2/06 6:06 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Hi, Margalit, thanks for visiting today.

My kids tell me I am obsessed all the time, and I tell them it is a very good thing to be obsessed about!


Michele sent me.

3/2/06 6:34 PM  
Anonymous Maria said...

The phone is not that difficult to give up, but I go crazy when traveling and the hotel doesn't have a decent connection to the Internet. Great post and I came by way of Michele.

3/2/06 6:37 PM  
Anonymous carrie said...

I wondered where you went.

3/2/06 8:17 PM  
Blogger Radioactive Jam said...

I went a week, once. I think. Or maybe it was a weekend... I can't remember. Too painful I guess.

Do you think your son will *remain* so understanding as your addiction slowly devours-- ha, just kidding. Too many times *our* offspring seem to see things more clearly than mom and I do. It's really annoying. :-O
(fine post, this.)

3/2/06 8:19 PM  
Anonymous atpanda said...

I'd argue that you should only take a first step in admitting an addiction if you plan on quitting it. And really, how do all those people survive WITHOUT a blog??

Michele sent me.

3/2/06 11:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

LOL! I'm with yoU! I wouldn't miss the phone a bit, but don't MESS with my internet connection!! :-) Michele sent me!

3/2/06 11:44 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

phones suck . . . and we pay for them too. gak

4/2/06 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.