HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, February 22, 2006


True Shoe Confessions

While I am of the female persuasion, I'm not all that into shoes. I know, you're all fanning yourselves after your apoplectic fit. But you know, shoes are all relative. I have big feet. Not enormous, but larger than your average bear kinda feet. When I go to a regular shoe store, I can't find a thing. My feet grew substantially with my twin pregnancy, thank you kids, and they grew much wider as well. From a rather normal 9B I went to a 10.5 E or even a EE, depending upon the shoe. They didn't shrink back, as promised by my OB. So I mosey along on my big dogs, wearing a few pairs of shoes that are comforable and fit. For any special occasion, I'm screwed. I can't wear heels at all. I can do a 1" heel and maybe, if there is no dancing or standing around, I'm good to go.

My shoes are all fairly ugly. They're comfy as hell, but they ain't winning any Oh My God, they're Adorable! accolades anytime soon. I have very few pairs of shoes because not only am I blessed with large wide dogs, I've also got the world's most sensitive feet. I swear it, I can't stand to have things on my feet, especially if they touch my toes. When God was giving out feet, he must have been joking around when he got to me. "Give this baby enormous feet and make them extra sensitive!" I can't wear socks, for example. They drive me nuts. If I were a little kid today I'd be diagnosed with sensory integration disorder because I'm ridiculously sensitive to noise, elastic, tags, anything on my wrists, neck, or feet, etc.

Around the house in the winter I wear two pairs of shoes. My Ugg boots, which I can wear without socks and are warm and comfy, and my Stegman boiled wool clogs. No socks needed, they're quite warm, and easy to slide on. I'm allergic to wool, so both pairs of shoes make me itch like nuts after a while, but I can deal with that because I'm a stoic and I own the giant size bottle of Sarna lotion.

In the summer, I swear slide sandals with suede upper soles. I can't stand leather soles on my bare feet. I most always stick with Clark sandals because they have suede bottoms and they are adjustable, so as my feet swell from the heat I can make them bigger, and when I've taken a double dose of Lasix, I can make them smaller again.

Today, however, I succombed to purchasing the fugliest shoes of all I own. They're just hidious, but man are they comfy. You know that I'm talking about: Crocs. The first time I saw them I wondered who would be stupid enough to buy them, but so many people have told me about how comfy they are, when I saw them on sale half price at a sporting goods store, I decided to try them on. They are H E A V E N L Y. They're so light you barely feel them on your feet. The toe box is very wide so there's a total lack of touching of the toes. They have a upper sole with little nodules that massage your feet and keep your feet alert but happy. Yes, they are horribly ugly, but I bought a pair. And I'm wearing them right now. My sore tired feet are so happy they want to dance. Maybe I ought to kick those kids off Dance Dance Revolution. They've been on it all day!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

21 Comments:

Blogger Celena said...

My hubby is OBSESSED with those shoes!!

22/2/06 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Last Girl On Earth said...

Wow, I've seen people wearing them around town, but I've never tried on a pair. Happy feet are a really good thing!

23/2/06 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Those are great! Yes, they're ugly.. but they are sensible/comfortable shoes :)
I have a pair very similar (in shape) but they're suade. And brown. My friends always laugh when they see 'em on my feet but I do not care. They are as comfy as fuzzy slippers!

23/2/06 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Jenn said...

I have a pair of those fugly things too. LOVE THEM. Well, actually, my son had a pair that I "borrowed" and never returned. (And have no plans to.)

Sadly, I made fun of them for ages before buying them for him. Now, I worship the Fugly Croc!

23/2/06 9:04 AM  
Blogger Eden said...

I also couldn't care much less about shoes. I also went from a 9B to a 10-wide-something. I only wear Birkenstocks so I don't know (sandals or clogs, depending on the weather, or snowboots).

I may just have to buy these hideous, wonderful slingback clogs.

23/2/06 11:29 AM  
Blogger gordaboo said...

WHOA....true that they're not going to be the shoe that I am going out to immediately buy, but if they're comfy, to hell with it. I don't think Uggs are that great looking, but I luv mine for their comfy-ness!!

23/2/06 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl said...

Never heard of them, I'll have to check those out.

23/2/06 5:20 PM  
Blogger nita said...

no.you.din't!


woman, don't make me come up there and shoe shop with you! you won't like the results....i can promise you that!

23/2/06 9:40 PM  
Anonymous jude said...

Hey those look like the shoes that Mario Batalli wears on Iron Chef!! You could be riding a new fashion wave most people don't even know about yet!! Here from michele's

23/2/06 10:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Crocs are IN here!! My 12 year old daughter is asking for pink ones for her birthday!! Margalit you are hip! :-)
I have big feet, too. Even really cute shoes don't look cute in my size... lol
Michele sent me!

23/2/06 10:35 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

They're all the rage here too, especially with the younger kids! I've never tried a pair on so I can't judge, but boy are they pug ugly. You know...so ugly they're cute? ha ha! Hi from Micheles. please come by my blog and help me grovel ok? I need help spreading the word!

23/2/06 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Im Chele In [dot] LA said...

I am so not a shoe person either..
..plus I need shoes that I can wear at work..........................
and I am not sure these would work ..
Over from the other Michele's tonight.

23/2/06 10:41 PM  
Blogger Killired said...

OMFG!!!!! I am wearing Crocs RIGHT Now!!!! I have them in khaki and pink! I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE these shoes... I even wear them around the hosue they are so comfy!

I posted about mine a while back. check it out!
http://killired.blogspot.com/2006/01/what-croc.html

here from michele's

23/2/06 10:50 PM  
Anonymous chelle said...

OOooo those are awesome!! I want pink ones!!!
Hi from Michelle!
chelle

23/2/06 11:14 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I saw them in the Hallmark Store yesterday and you are right, they are butt-ugly.

Michele sent me.

23/2/06 11:19 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I love those freakin things, I have about 20 pairs! I completely cured a nasty heel spur by wearing them, believe it!

23/2/06 11:41 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

They sound really comfy, and any comfy shoe gets my vote. I've gotten to the point where I really just don't care what they look like anymore. Just out of curiosity, did you choose the traffic-cone orange color, or another one?

24/2/06 1:56 AM  
Blogger dena said...

You've sold me! I want a pair. Not sure of the color. A little ugly, but they look so fun!

visiting from michele's

24/2/06 3:41 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Erin, I didn't choose traffic cone orange, mostly because they didn't have it in stock. I wanted the purple ones, or maybe the lime green, but I ended up with a nice sedate blue. They're fine, but the next pair will be brighter!

24/2/06 4:10 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Those shoes are awesome. I want some.

25/2/06 4:56 AM  
Blogger vanx said...

While I am of the Male Persuasion, I actually bought the same shoes to wear when swimming in Keuka Lake (a New York Finger Lake with lots of sharp stones)on vacation. Damn, I didn't know they came in orange. I got black.

I come on my own from time to time, but today....you know who sent me.

25/2/06 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.