HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Back to the old, in with the new


Wes, you can skip this post! Really.

This morning I had to get up before the crack of dawn to attend a business conference on Identity Management. Haven't been to one of those in a few years. First, I had to panic about what to wear. Oh, I've got plenty of business dresses and stuff to wear, but most of them are packed away someplace, and I really wasn't all that sure where. Then there was the shoe issue. I'm mentioned previously my absolutely hatred of all shoes that aren't comfortable. Heck, I wouldn't be wearing those Crocs if I had even a modicom of shame, but evidentally, I don't. Let's see, of the shoes under the bed I've got the powder blue Uggs, the gray Stegman boiled wool clogs, my shearling slippers and the aforementioned crocs. What a style maven!

So I sent the Girl into the dank dark resources of our 'under the stairs' hall closet to root around for a pair of shoes. She came up empty and I was getting a tad bit nervious. But of course she came to the rescue and found a pair of brown leather clogs, slightly scuffed, that would indeed work.

This morning I actually put on nylons. Me. Stockings. I can't even recall the last time I wore a pair of those outside the synagogue, but it's been eons. I can still attest that they are both uncomfortable and ugly, even in a lovely black shade. I even had on matching underwear, although certainly not of the Victoria's Secret variety. Your standard black cotton via Target. I was just delightfully matching underneath this morning. And atop, a brown velour dress only slightly out of style. I swear, a vision of business chic, I was.

I arrive at the Weston bright and early, except I was half asleep and it was pouring. But we'll just stick with bright and early for dramatic reasons. Inside the hotel, and down a long corridor of meeting rooms with odd names, I find my meeting space.

Ohhh, breakfast! The mood is picking up already. Hot coffee, only they use those itty bitty china cups that hold three sips. Starbucks has spoiled us, coffee drinking citizens. We now expect to be served coffee in buckets. One bitty cup isn't going to cut it. But I press on towards the fresh fruit. Watermelon, honeydew, cantelope, fresh pineapple, strawberries, blackberries. Oh man, I'm a happy camper. I load up my plate with fruit and a cranberry orange muffin, then turn around and behind me is a hot station with eggs, bacon, sausage, homefries, and french toast. Being the well behaved girl that I am, I only had a small scoop of eggs.

Bringing my repast into the conference room, I proceeded to introduce myself to my tablemates. They were pretty cool and when I told them that I was doing corporate blogging, I was the hit of the table. We talked a lot about the security issues involved in blogging, both in a personal space, and within a corporate space. One of my tablemates worked at Staples and we had a long chat about the Easy Button commercials. Did you know that if you buy an Easy Button at Staples, all the proceeds go to charity?

The conference itself was OK. There were representatives from large consulting companies shilling their methodology for Identity Management. Some of it was interesting and begged further exploration. Other stuff, well... somewhat limiting when you consider the kind of security problems out there right now. All in all, a good morning, but it only begs much more work in the immediate future.

I got home and passed out on the sofa within 5 minutes of arrival. It's been a while since I've used my business brain this much, and evidentally it needs downtime. Yawn.

Oh, and about the stockings. Evidentally whilst I was snoozing they worked their way down, and when I stood up, they fell off, right down to my feet. In front of the kids, and the Runaway, who is over for the afternoon. Man, this mom is happening, huh?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.