HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Coke with lime.... eh?

Dave has been singing the praises of Coke with Lime forever. When he couldn't find it for a while, he was despondant. But it has appeared again in the markets, and today while at the Stop and Slop, I saw some and decided to try it. Let my say first that I buy Coke once a year, for Passover. In fact, I bought 4 bottles of KLP Coke today, alone with my requisite 5 lbs of matzoh. We don't drink soda in our house. I kind of think it's a big waste of money, calories, and contains too many chemicals for me to justify the expense. We drink flavored seltzers and water. We're incredibly boring.

The second we got home, the Boy couldn't wait to open that bottle of Coke. He drank it and said it didn't taste limey to him. The Girl also had a glass, and she liked it a bit more. I drank a glass, and it gave me wicked gas. Bloated me right up. I'm so not used to soda. But it did taste pretty good considering that I don't like cola drinks at all. I'm more of a traditionalist. Give me cream soda or root beer if I'm going to drink soda. Coke, well it doesn't really taste like anything but sweet brown fizzy stuff to me. So sorry Dave. I tried to love it. But it's just as well, because it's nasty stuff, Coke. Nasty.

In other news:

I am so frigging sick of CBS prempting all my nightime shows for that damn basketball nonsense. I want Letterman and I want CRAIG. I miss CRAIG. I'm mad for CRAIG. I'm actually having to watch horrible Conan who is not funny and sort of repulses me. Never mind Leno who used to be so funny and now is a whiney Hollywood stooge. I remember him from his Boston comic days when he was hilarious. That was a long time ago.

I've even watched Jimmy Kimmel a bit, but I don't really "get" him. I remember him from his sidekick days on Ben Stein's Money. Then a bit of "The Man Show". I think maybe he's more of a guy thing.

I'm all caught up on my late night PBS watching. I need Craig to come back and make me drool over his Scottish accent and that adorable face. He is so hot.

I cannot wait for Lost next week. Everytime I see the promo of Locke diving to reach under the steel wall descending my heart thumps. It's gonna be so good.

Pesach:

I'm (obviously) starting the Pesach prep. We are limiting the amount of hametz (foods not eaten on Passover) that comes into the house and we're going to try and eat it all up before the holiday. We never can really do that, but we always give it a try.

This year I've pretty much planned what we'll be eating in advance.

  1. Turkey, of course, because a holiday in our house MUST have turkey, my kid's favorite food.
  2. Brisket, because I love it and the Girl will eat it, but the Boy, not so much.
  3. Sole encrusted with seasoned matzoh meal and lightly fried
  4. Chicken soup with matzoh balls
  5. Roasted Orange Glazed Chicken
  6. Shish Kebab with lots of veggies
  7. Matzoh Brei
  8. Leftovers for the other nights.

I'll make a vegetable kugel, a potato kugel (both kids love this), and the mushroom kugel I made a couple of years ago what was so popular.

Lots and lots of veggies that we can eat (no peas. corn, or green beans, sigh)

We'll by the requisite huge amount of Pesach candy, because this is the time of year when sweets become a necessity to make up for the lack of so many other things. I'll get several cakes during my big shop at the Kosher store, and probably some other goodies like almond macaroons. I'll also make some chocolate coconut macaroons.

I can't wait to make a huge tub of charoset. No matter how much I make, it's never enough. I could LIVE on that stuff.

The cleaning I'm not looking forward to, but at least the kitchen in this house will be easy to Kasher. Not much to it.

Every year right before Pesach I swear I'm never doing this again. It's such hard work and so tiring, but it is my favorite holiday. I'm weird. I love Pesach food.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger Carmi said...

Ah yes, the coming of Pesach. We've been slowly doing the same thing here, and it never ceases to amaze me what a long, drawn-out process it is.

I, too, strangely crave the unique foods of this holiday. Maybe it's because of the story of Pesach, or maybe it's because of how I felt around this time of year when I was a kid. I guess I dig tradition, and this is about as rich a tradition as we have.

Either way, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

25/3/06 1:28 AM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

mushroom kugel? could you post the recipe for that?

here from michele's!

25/3/06 1:30 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Wow - I'm such a Coke addict, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love it. (you know, I should really learn to re-phrase that. Saying I'm a coke addict does not sound flattering, does it?)
My ex-boyfriend was Jewish and I loved the food at the holidays! I also loved the tradition.
I hope your week is blessed!
By the way Michele sent me.

(And I LOVE your George Bush countdown on the side of your blog!)

25/3/06 1:34 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Barbie2Be, I'll post a bunch of Pesach recipes soon. I have to get out my pesach cookbooks, which are packed away with the pesach dishes, the pesach pots and pans, the pesach appliances.... blah blah blah. Just the thought of all those trips up and down the basement stairs makes me want to take one of those Pesach cruises.

25/3/06 1:38 AM  
Blogger Daydreamer of Oz said...

OMG Conan rocks ;) Hope you have a great holiday...found you at Michele's

25/3/06 1:40 AM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

I do like the diet coke with lime (haven't had the regular coke.) Diet Vanilla Pepsi is also VERY good. I keep trying to cut down on soda consumption -- I don't drink it every day, but definitely more than you all do. ;-)

25/3/06 9:57 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I never could drink any kind of Coke because of the caffiene. This was up until a few years ago. My fiance is the biggest Diet Coke addict you will ever meet. Needless to say, I am hooked now. For life. I actually love Diet Coke w/lime, yum! It's perfect mixed with Captain Morgan, a slice of lime, lots of ice and Voila! the perfect cocktail. I agree with you on the gas factor though- it does make me quite burpy...lol.

I am pretty ignorant about Jewish holiday food to be honest, but let me just say macaroons are my absolute favorite cookie. Just the mention of them in your post started me drooling..LOL! I have a little problem with those puppies! Especially this time of year, when the grocery stores have all of the displays of Kosher foods. Those boxes of macaroons are always staring right at me and calling my name :)

Also I don't know what kugel is, but it sounds good...he he he! I would love to see some recipes too :)

25/3/06 10:12 AM  
Blogger Thumper said...

It's a good thing you don't drink much soda, if you want lime coke...they're not going to make it anymore. They're replacing it with Black Cherry Vanilla Coke, which doesn't taste all the wonderful...

Here via Michele's this time!

25/3/06 3:32 PM  
Blogger rob said...

Dang...can I come over? Sounds like you're going all out, girl.

I haven't been to a good pesach in years.

25/3/06 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Ash said...

Wow, I was actually able to get into your comments this weekend!
I admit, I am a coke fan...I don't drink it daily, but it is one of my "this ain't great for me but by gods I am going to enjoy it" drinks. And, I'm a lover of all things lime...so I kinda liked the Coke w/Lime. But, instead of buying it, I just add lime slices to my coke...YUM! What I don't get is the new coke with coffee...HUH?
I'm clueless about the foods you mentioned, but learning about cultures/traditons/religions I am not around is nice. :)

25/3/06 3:51 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE Cream Soda! I use to be totally addicted to it.

How awful that your local CBS has been prempting my two favs..Letterman and Craig....the only consolation Margalit IS: They both have had a lot of repeats this past week...so, you no doubt haven't missed anything that you hadn't already seen.

Ahhhh Passover. Such good food!
Yum! I think you are a Jewish Saint to do this every year!!!
I hope you Passover will be absolutely Delicious!

Here from Michele today...STILL! (lol)

25/3/06 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Dave2 said...

Coke with Lime. COKE WITH LIIIIIIIME!!! Me loves my Coke with Lime!

Thought this afternoon I had an Orange Cream soda, and that was pretty good too. Now I have something new for when I can't find Coke with Lime anymore. :-(

25/3/06 8:33 PM  
Blogger Plumkrazzee said...

You would die at my house. I drink 64 oz. of Pepsi (diet if that helps) every day. I know, I'm disgusting. ANyhow, I love to read about your Jewish traditions and food. Being from a community where there is basically no Jewish culture, I find it very informative and interesting. Here from Michele's although i'm not playing the meet n greet....

25/3/06 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl said...

L.O.V.E. coke with lime.

Hey! A kosher question just popped into my head (how often does that happen?!). If you can't mix meat and dairy, can you eat cookies with nuts, are nuts considered a meat? Or is it just animal flesh, because it's inhumane to eat a baby cow boiled in it's mother's milk, etc.?

25/3/06 9:27 PM  
Blogger PresentStorm said...

My hubby loves coke ...although not the lime ..Just the classic stuff. I do not drink soda either. If I do happen to drink one, which is not often it is sprite or rootbeer.

I am a tea, water or juice drinker myself... oh yes and soymilk ...

here via Michele's again :)

25/3/06 9:50 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Sheryl,

Nuts are Pareve, meaning you can eat them with either a dairy or a meat meal. They are not considered a meat. The only meats we can eat are special cuts of beef from the front of the cow, poultry, and fish with fins and scales. We can eat meat from any animal with a hoof like a cow, so reindeer and venison are considered Kosher if they are raised and butchered in the correct manner, but pigs and other split hooved animals are not.

There are many foods considered pareve, meaning they can be eaten with both a dairy or meat meal. In fact, fish is one of those things, but you have to eat the fish first, before the meat. It's so darn complicated!

25/3/06 10:35 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

What is charoset?
Thank you for your comments on my blog. Most of these plants are going on my Florida room, they are shade plants. They are quite unusual if run into weird looking plants please let me know.
I use to live in Norwood before moving to Florida, most of my family lives in Brookline and Amhurst.
Have a good night
Maggie
Via Michele

25/3/06 11:25 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Maggie,

Charoset is one of the items that appear on the seder plate at passover. It represents the morter that was used by the slaves to build the pyramids in Egypt. It is made from chopped nuts (usually almonds, walnuts, and or pecans), apples, raisins, and kosher sweet wine all whirled together with cinnamon in the food processor till it resembles a sort of purplish morter. You eat it on matzoh with horseradish, making a 'hillel' sandwich. It sounds weird but believe me, it is GOOD.

25/3/06 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.