HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm in FireFox hell

Anyone know the intricacies of FireFox? For some bizarro reason, my computer believes that I am running FireFox and will not let me open up FireFox. It keeps telling me to delete the version that is running, and then restart if the delete doesn't work. I've tried to find the Firefox process it thinks is running, and it is invisible. It is NOT running anywhere on this machine that I can find. I've even gone as far as reinstalling Firefox to try and get it to run, but it won't. I'm really upset because my profile is just perfect the way it was, and I HATE Internet Explorer with such a passion, I can't even begin to count the ways I hate it.

I've tried to find information on the mozilla.com site but there just isn't anything that pertains to my bizarro problem. I'm thinking of uninstalling Firefox completely and reinstalling a virgin copy, but I want to save my profile and it will write over it.

What do I do? Why are simple things so fricking frustrating? They don't need to be. Why can't a computer just work? I'm so pissed off. I just want this to work. I love Firefox. I'm feeling sad and abandoned. And jittery. But that might be the two giant cups of coffee I drank this morning in a meeting. You think?


Update: I fixed it. It took close to 5 hours, but I did it. Now, let's go over why it took so long. Um, could it be because the information on the mozilla.com web site was WRONG WRONG WRONG? Well, yes it could. And it was. I spent hours going from the support site to all the documents they posted (all wrong) to the mozilla newsgroups, and nothing worked. Finally, I kludged something that I would not recommend unless, like me, you're near hysterics and want to bash the computer in it's ugly little monitor. But, it eventually worked! YAHOO. This was, by far, the most non-intuitive fix I've ever come up with. It took so long because it made so little sense, but who cares, it works! I'm not loving mozilla right now, though. Not at all.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

First comment here!

I have to tell you, this is the only thing that bothers me at all about Firefox. We have been running FF for about a year, and this same exact thing has happened mayyyybe...10 times. Every time, it took me logging out, and logging back in. It sucks, but to me, worth doing so I need never use stupid IE evah again!

28/3/06 2:57 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

I don't know if I'm understanding your problem, but I think something similar happens to me sometimes:

have you tried opening your task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and look under the tab 'processes' for firefox?
if you see it there, click it and then hit 'end process'.
then try to open firefox again. if its what I think it is, that should fix it :)

good luck!

28/3/06 3:37 PM  
Anonymous OpenSourceUser said...

Wait! Wait! Wait! If you're going to use open source software (like Firefox), which is a GOOD THING, then do what we do in the open source community. When something goes wrong and we figure out a way to fix it, we PUBLISH THE FIX!

What was your kludge?

29/3/06 4:02 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Hey open source, I DID just as you said earlier, only I posted the kludge on mozilla.support.firefox. There is a whole thread on this called "FireFox is Kicking My Ass and I Need Help" which you can look at. I also posted on netscape.public.mozilla.general under the same title, and that thread is a bit different. Let me know if you don't have access to Usenet.

29/3/06 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.