HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ok, I admit it. I'm nosy.

Are you like me? Are you curious about how much your neighbor's house is worth? How about your cousin George's house in Los Angeles, or your sister's MIL's house in Atlanta?

Got the address and zip? That's all you need to keep your nosy little self busy for hours. Check out this site. First look at your own home to check the accuracy. Our house is listed for just about what it should sell for, and the assessed price is right on.

In our town, the entire housing stock is assessed yearly, and right at the end of the year we get a booklet with every single address in town, and the assessment price. Nothing more fun that driving around a ritzy neighborhood and checking out the assessment. I told you I was nosy.

The coolest thing is, not only can you see your lot and home from the satellite photo provided, but you can see the price of all your neighbor's homes right on the same shot. Whoever came up with this site is a frigging genius.

I love Open Houses for the same reason. Peeking into other people's lives fascinates me. I like to look at houses that absolutely horrify me they're so hideous. I don't know why, I just find it interesting. So does the Girl, so I guess this might be genetics at work.

So, is this accurate for your house and neighborhood?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

21 Comments:

Blogger Celena said...

Doesn't do Canada :(

4/3/06 11:44 PM  
Blogger Eden said...

This is very cool. We're going to be selling our place this summer & this is a helpful tool.

I also like seeing how people live. Shots in blogs of workspaces, playrooms, bathrooms, anything. I also love home organization shows, open houses, etc. partly for this reason.

4/3/06 11:47 PM  
Blogger scrappintwinmom said...

I totally don't think its right. There's no way my house is worth so much! Holy crap! Here via Michelle today. I enjoyed your blog!

5/3/06 12:03 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

it's amazing the kind of info you can pull off the Internet. gotta love it

5/3/06 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Croila said...

We've got something similar in Scotland: nethouseprices.com. I'm an addict, and VERY nosy. In fact, I'm so nosy I love dark winter evenings when people leave their curtains open and you can see right into their living rooms!

5/3/06 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Claire said...

I found that a couple of weeks ago. We are missing a bedroom and some square footage.

5/3/06 9:31 AM  
Blogger California Highway Guy - Daniel said...

Well, if it is correct, our house has gone up about $10K since we bought it in May. Of course, that doesn't make paying the mortgage any easier, and is a "grrrr" for California Property Taxes (which are due next month). I've heard the numbers may be less than accurate.

5/3/06 9:40 AM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

What a hoot you are. I think everyone is naturally curious. Thanks for the fasinating link. Boston is a beautiful town (on my list of favorites!). Hope you are having beautiful spring like weather!

5/3/06 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Nikki-ann said...

I'm in the UK, so I can't use that, but it looks like a great idea!

I hope you've enjoyed the weekend. Take care :)

5/3/06 2:34 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

lol, loved this! My husband and I have been house hunting and one we looked at for $169,000 came up on this site at $61,000! Personally, I think it's right - I wrote on my blog about how they were asking WAY WAY too much!

5/3/06 4:36 PM  
Anonymous mooalex said...

Dang, it doesn't do my little corner of VA. Maybe later... Dang, I wanted to get my nosy on.

5/3/06 4:59 PM  
Anonymous tania said...

My is assessed at less than half of the going rate in my town and the square footage is way off! I wish i had 7,000+ sq ft!!!!!!!

5/3/06 5:29 PM  
Blogger Rene said...

Hi, Michele sent me.

That is the coolest website. And the value it placed on my house is pretty accurate. I LOVE open houses. We have a lot of million dollar homes in my area so they are blast to go to.

5/3/06 7:10 PM  
Blogger srp said...

The house here in VA BCH is low in appraisal and they just got this years this week. They didn't even have any for my house in Mississippi. Now I'm sure we were living in a backwards out-in-the-sticks place. LOL
Here from Michele.

5/3/06 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Kat said...

My building is worth $3.5 million. No wonder I rent. Gotta love NYC real estate.

5/3/06 9:37 PM  
Blogger Thumper said...

Whoa...the house we're renting is worth $561,000. I feel so...so...special now!

5/3/06 9:56 PM  
Blogger Marcia said...

I don't live in a house - I rent. but that's a really really cool website! I'm sending it to all my homeowner friends!

here via Michele's. But I've been here from Nello's before!

5/3/06 10:20 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

TERRIFYING. This is the sort of thing that convinces me that in his third term, George W. Bush will make "real estate" a sub-cabinet level post under Chertoff at Homeland Security!
Rick

5/3/06 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Chloe said...

Bwahahahahahaha. The only thing they got correct was the lot size! They say my house has 4 BR, .75 bath, attached garage, 3670 sq feet with 1500 being finished basement and 700 feet upstairs (WTF?). That's one bedroom too many, 1.5 baths too few, my garage is a couple hundred feet from the house, and the total square footage is 2670, I believe.

6/3/06 2:07 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

None of the homes around here have actual values listed, only assessed values. Since we do title work, we double-checked our own properties. Old house was spot-on in assessed value of land and house, and even had an aerial photograph with my truck in the driveway!

New house, however...they were off on square footage by seven or eight hundred too few, and missing half a bath...the assessed value was only twice that of the "old place" (which is actually newer, but you know what I mean), when this house is actually worth THREE times more than the other one. But you know what? Im'a gon' keep shut about it. ;-)

7/3/06 4:38 AM  
Anonymous birdgal said...

zillow is cool, but it is (partly?) based on tax information, which can be wrong. For instance, the tax info on my house is wrong (the previous owners converted the 'attic' to an actual second floor, but the tax listing still says it is a one-story house) and this is reflected on zillow. So, take what you see with a grain of salt!

7/3/06 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.