HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Library offers more than books and media
We visit our local library every weekend, picking out books, DVDs and CDs to borrow. We happen to have a very large and well-stocked library in my city, and it is widely used by our townspeople as well as people from surrounding towns. At any given time, there are hundreds of people in our library doing research, surfing the web, finding materials to borrow, and luckily for them, viewing art displayed for everyone's enjoyment.

This month the local camera club is having an exhibit. That, in and of itself, sounds kinda blah, but this is a MUST SEE exhibit if you live nearby. There are 55 prints on exhibit, from around 35 different artists. As a rule, I like photography a lot, but don't often find an entire exhibit of varied artists to be striking. I usually find one or two artists that I love, a few more that I like, and the rest, eh...

But this show is amazing both for its variety, its professionalism, and its beauty. Some of the prints are examples of the best photography I've ever seen. There are many photos of landscapes and flowers, and for the most part I don't always find those enticing, but these are amazing. There is one photo of a stamen of a flower with every granule of pollen intact and it almost makes me want to sneeze. It's just an amazing photograph.

The photos are from around the world, and not just New England. There is one shot of the trunks of redwoods from California that is visually stunning. Another panorama of the Red Rocks area is spectacular for its color, its composition, and its scenery.

Many of the prints are for sale, priced from around $65 framed, to $200 framed. There is a pricelist and a biography book for perusing at the site. The exhibit is only up for the month of April, so get there if you can. It's free and well worth the visit. And no, I don't belong to the club or do any advertising for them. I was just blown away by this exhibit.

While we're on the subject of the library, two quick observations:

Every mom that visits the library wears either Mom jeans or Mom pants. There was one mom that had sort of modified Mom jeans, but for the most part, we're an unhip, unstylish, but comfortable bunch.

There is a guy in the media floor of the library that completely confuzzles me. He's there every week when we hit the library. He is always sitting at the first table, the one with the video review books. He always had a huge pile of DVDs and he has a routine he goes through every time. First he reads the back of the DVD carefully. Then he opens the case and looks at the DVD. If there is an insert, he reads that as well. Then he looks at one large book and reads the review. He then puts the DVD into one of two piles that I assume are 'take home' and 'no way'. Once he has gone through every DVD like this, which takes upwards of an hour, he returns the ones that he isn't going to take out, picks up some more DVDs, and repeats the whole process. The last step is to go to the computer and look at the library database. Why he does this is beyond me, but he does every week.

I've sat across from him a couple of times during the ritual and have seen what he takes out. There are piles of totally obscure and unknown movies. I never know what the heck attracts him to the movies he chooses. But each to their own, right? What gets me is that he lets the opinions of Siskal and Ebert and whomever else he reads in those enormous books make the decision for him as to whether or not the DVD is worth viewing. That drives me nuts.

And that's the haps at the library today.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger My float said...

That is completely bizarre. I would be so tempted to go and ask him what he's doing...or at least ask the librarian!


Here from michele's.

15/4/06 2:49 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Our library is tiny....

But my mum's local library in the wilds of Scotland has all this stuff too.....they even loan out jigsaws!!

Michele sent me this time, Margalit..

cq

15/4/06 2:57 PM  
Blogger Miss Cow is a Cow said...

Hello michele sent me.

15/4/06 3:31 PM  
Blogger NikNox said...

Sounds like a great exhibit. Our library usually shows artists paintings on the wall. Nothing has striked me yet.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

Here via Michele's.

15/4/06 4:00 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Margalit...
Forgive the lack of Passover Greetings on my blog. For certain reasons, this year, Passover just feels too painful, so I chose to pretend it wasn't happening in my world, because--in fact--it wasn't.
So, I put it out of my mind and just thought I would concentrate on the pretty colors of the Easter Season. Including the Color Chocolate.
I do wish you a very Happy Passover--almost passed, I know--and perhaps next year things will be different.
Glad your meal was so very scrumptious, my dear.

15/4/06 4:13 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Fun said...

i would love to see the exhibit,sounds great.
i rarely check things out from the library because i forget to return them.

15/4/06 4:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Fun said...

oh and michele sent me :)

15/4/06 4:23 PM  
Blogger David said...

hello from Michele, the easter Bunny's assistant.

15/4/06 8:18 PM  
Blogger Thumper said...

I love our library, but the only exhibit I've seen there is quilts. =yawn=

There are a lot of regulars, too...I find myself scanning the place to make sure they're there. I don't know why; maybe I'd worry there were dead?

The DVD guy...it's probably a time killer. A lot of the regulars here seem to be there because they have nothing better to do.

here via Michele's this evening :)

15/4/06 8:31 PM  
Blogger David said...

it was nice of you to share your coffee solution. in the future please do not use the F word - a reasonable substitute may be foreign as in use a foreign press for making your coffee
( all tounge in cheek of course)

16/4/06 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.