HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Oh man, I've been thru the museum ringer this weekend

I promised the Boy that I would take him during spring vacation week to the museums. The week kinda flew by and all of a sudden it was Thurdsay and we hadn't made plans, so we sat down and decided Friday would be the Museum of Fine Arts, and Saturday would be the Museum of Science.

He had particular exhibits that he very much wanted to see at both museums. At the MFA they had an exhibit of old rock posters from the Avalon and Fillmore, featuring bands like Jefferson Airplane, Buffalo Springfield, The Association, Jimi Hendrix, and Big Brother and the Holding Company. Holy memories, batman, I've seen all of those bands in my former life as a hippie.

At the MoS he wanted to see the special exhibits from Star Wars, including a planetarium show and another pricy exhibit of costumes, robots, and props from the movies. I wasn't all that interested in the Star Wars stuff, but I'm a slut for the Science Museum, especially if we can catch the Electricity Show where they set off lightening bolts inside an auditorium. It's totally rad.

I separated the museum posts because they're long and have lots of photos. So here's our trip to the Museum of Fine Arts.



Friday he and I headed off to the MFA on a a glorious sunny day. We found the posters right away and he fell madly in love with the Les Paul Gibson guitar they had on display. He liked the posters too, and was quite amused that I could easily read the bubble writing. Hey, stuff like that never goes away.



Then we went to look at the furniture, which is one of my favorite things to gawk at. We headed through the American art, the folk art, the European art, and of course the impressionists.


We had to check out the big gift shop, and they had so much stuff I'd love to have, but we had to spend so much money PARKING ($21) that we really couldn't spend much more. Plus, even with passes we had to pay $5 each to get in. What a ripoff the museums have become, bleeding people dry for the privilege of seeing art that belongs to us all. I find that fairly offensive.


We very much enjoyed our visit and saw some things that we hadn't remembered seeing before, which is always exciting. Here are some of the artworks that caught my eye on that lovely Friday.



From the impressionist room, Monet's haystacks and waterlilys. Gaughan's Tahiti, Renoir's dancer, an amazing pair of craftsmen style light fixtures, and so much more. The MFA is a wonderful museum, and they're currently fundraising to enlarge it to almost 2 times it's current size. The plans are ambitious, but I'll certainly welcome seeing some of the best pieces of art come out of the basement and back into general circulation. Like, say, Scott Prior's Nanny and Rose, my all time favorite painting.


This painting is the most amazing work of realistic art I've ever seen. It's quite beautiful, and it speaks to me like no other painting does.

Next, we're onto the Museum of Science in another post.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Carmi said...

Ooh, I love this painting. You're right: I had to do a double-take because it looked like a photo. Damn, what a gift!

$21 for parking? Are they nuts? It saddens me to see so many financial obstacles placed in the way of regular folks enjoying the arts. It merely reinforces the dividing line between the haves and the have-nots. Sad.

Still, I look forward to visiting the MFA on my next visit to town. Talk about inspiring!

23/4/06 2:00 PM  
Blogger Crayonsetc said...

Very cool. I am stopping by via Michele today... but now I am off to read about the science museum!!!

23/4/06 2:11 PM  
Blogger Last Girl On Earth said...

Hi Margalit. Long time no see. Looks like you've been quite busy. Your son looks totally fab in these pix. It's been years since I visited the Boston Galleries. It's funny how it's easier to be a tourist when you don't actually live there! I thought I would go to museums at least once a week when I move to NYC, but there never seems to be the time. I think I'm going to have to go to the Met soon to get a dose of Monet. Thanks for whetting my appetite!

LAST GIRL ON EARTH

23/4/06 2:19 PM  
Blogger Grins said...

Hi, Michele sent me. You've given me the perfect idea for what to do with my son next weekend. Museums! It has been far too long since we visited one together and now I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks! Oh and that last painting....the golden is what does it for me maybe.

23/4/06 2:38 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Beautiful painting! It makes me wish that was me sitting there on the porch.
I have never been to the MFA. It is something I have always wanted to do. It IS pretty ridiculous what they charge for parking and to go to these museums. The last time I went to the aquarium about 5 years ago, I think it was about 25 to park. It's ridiculous.

23/4/06 5:23 PM  
Blogger nita said...

i have got to get there. let's go on a day when no one else is there. pull the beautiful chillins from hell for the day and i'll drive :)

23/4/06 7:54 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Looks like you had a great time! I was surprised when I visited Dallas at how many museums you have to pay to get into. One of the few good things about the UK is most museums have free entry. However paying a fortune for parking just follows us Brits around like a bad smell!!

24/4/06 2:31 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Jealous. Just so jealous.

26/4/06 12:06 AM  
Blogger Daughter In Law said...

Politefully disagreeing.

Museums have SAVED art so that it isn't hanging in the homes of the elite few. In addition, the estates or actual owners of these pieces charge such a ridiculous fee to host these shows that the museums have to recover those costs. The shipping and insurance alone would boggle your mind. Millions of dollars to have those displays for just a month or two. Sorry, I interned at an art museum and the employees are not well paid, but do it for the love of art.

26/4/06 8:33 AM  
Blogger Dara said...

Boston is such a cool town! Growing up in Connecticut, we took a lot of field trips there. Lucky you!
Michele sent me.

30/4/06 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.