HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 21, 2006


"Splain this, Mumbles"

Mumbles Menino, the Mayor of Boston, has been in interesting character to watch over the years. I just never know what to think of him, for sometimes I like him and other times I just shake my head in dismay.

Today, whilst driving home from the Museum of Fine Arts on Huntington Ave, I noticed that new signs had been installed all down Huntington Ave. heading towards Brookline. Evacuation Route signs. On Huntington Ave. A street so packed with traffic on a good day, I can't even fathom what planner could decide this was a good way to get out of town fast in case of a tsunami or something. Huntington Ave has quite a few colleges on the length of it, including Northeaster, Mass Art, Wheelock, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Pharmacy School, Berklee College of Music, etc. In addition, the worlds best hospitals are all situated right off Huntington Ave, including Brigham and Womens, Children's, Beth Israel, Joslin Diabetes, Dana Farber Cancer, and let us not forget Harvard Medical School. Can you imagine the traffic nightmare just trying to evacuate these institutions alone? Because Huntington Ave. is, at best a two lane route out of town. At some junctures it narrows down to one lane before it turns in to Route 9 in Brookline.





Interestingly, once you pass into Brookline, there are no longer evacuation routes. So I guess we should just consider that once you leave the city, you're on your own! Hmmmmm.

I guess I don't get why Mumbles and his team could even think that Huntington Ave would be a safe evacuation route. Maybe Storrow Drive? Memorial Drive? But not a road with trolley tracks running down the middle of it, filled with enormous potholes, and an apparent overabundance of patients that need special care and handling getting out of Boston.

Man, I don't know about you, but this evacuation plan doesn't make me feel really comfortable about the residents of the city. I think we're all screwed, folks.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Hi, visiting from Michele's today, difficult to comment on such a 'local' post.

21/4/06 4:22 PM  
Blogger keda said...

hi. here via micheles.
the post below scared the pants off me, i dread the years ahead! as asingle mum of twin girls i imagine i will feel very similar! you have my sympathy but alas i can offer no advice.
off to try blogmad now thanks*

21/4/06 4:33 PM  
Blogger KaraMia said...

yikes, I'm living in the shadow of Mt Rainier and our evacuation routes are a bit scarey because of the fact we would have to travel along way to get away from the fallouts...ugh
here via michele today

21/4/06 5:26 PM  
Blogger BSumner said...

Not to mention FENWAY is close by too. LOL..
On a GOOD day it takes me 30 minutes to get from Storrow to Brigham and Women's.
And that's at 6am when there's no traffic. LOL

Doomed...

21/4/06 9:32 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Cool thing is I know exactly what you're talking about: I memorized my city map of Boston when I did my little walkabout a couple of weeks ago.

Politicos don't really care about their citizens. They're just doing what they gotta do to convince the poor shlubs who elected them that they're doing their jobs.

If the signs went up on a horse trail through a swamp, that would be enough to assuage their pathetic excuses for a conscience as they head for their fortified anti-tsunami bunker in the middle of a giant granite mountain.

Screwed is an apt term. London has no tsunamis. And kosher meat is increasingly easy to find here.

And our chicken fingers are decidedly whole.

22/4/06 9:34 PM  
Blogger Begered said...

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the steets you are mentioning, but if it as bad as you say it is...you should probably plan out your own escape route before you will need it. I live out in Fresno, and I wouln't doubt this city to do something crazy like that too. Here from Michele's.

BTW, your earlier post. Who cares if he's a "nice" kid...the way he dresses should say it all. Sorry, sounds like you have a handful!

22/4/06 9:49 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Hi...Michele sent me....I live in DC...our evacuation signs are covered over with dark plastic...until the wind blows it off...it makes it all very scary.

22/4/06 9:54 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Maybe it's time to move out of the cityt before you have to evacuate, my dear? OY VEY!
Here from Michele tonight!

22/4/06 10:00 PM  
Blogger jennypenny said...

lol aren't politicians great. i swear they are missing some sort of logic gene. here from micheles cuz i skipped you before :( sorry

22/4/06 10:07 PM  
Blogger Grins said...

I don't think I've even seen evacuation route signs in Charlotte. Especially scary considering we've been given kudos for our preparedness. Hi by the way, Michele sent me.

22/4/06 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.