HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Domini Domini Domini... I don't get it.

Tonight we were browsing at Borders in the giant white marble palace we call "The Mall'. No kidding, that's the REAL name of the damn edifice. Anyhow, I'm looking around just browsing because I have at least 10 books in my 'to read asap' pile beside my bed. The boy is off checking out the CDs and the Girl is browsing amongst the pink books (chick lit because she tends to choose books by color). There is a huge table near the cash registers by the new novels. A table totally devoted to the DiVinci Code phenom.

Yeah, I know that the movie is coming out soon and so people are boning up on the DiVinci Code trivia. I'm even going to read the book again before we see the film, because I've read at least 200 books since I read that one, and to be honest, I don't remember every damn detail. And details count in Dan Brown books.

What I don't get is all the supplementary texts. We actually saw one titled Math in the DiVinci Code. Can you imagine anything more boring than that book? There were a lot of books explaining the Catholicism in the book. Yes, that makes sense to me if, and only if, you're a scholar and want to ensure that all the information contained in the book is accurate. But if, say you're like me, and know the book is a novel, why on earth would you want to read 3 or 4 books just on Opus Dei? I mean, is the subject that enthralling? One book was just on the Church of Mary Magdeline. I like a pretty church as much as the next tourist, but if I'm going to read a book on a church it sure as heck isn't going to be some obscure one in the northern British Isles. I think I might choose, oh, lets say Notre Dame. That big one in Paris with the rose windows and the flying buttresses in the middle of a river.

I'm curious as to who buys all these extra books. Anyone?

I'm also curious as to who buys all the special editions of Dan Brown books. We saw at least 5 different versions of DiVinci Code, from the el-cheapo paperback for $7.99 to the illustrated special verson at $29.99. Ditto for Angels and Demons.

I admit that we have the hardcover because I'm a book whore and I love hardcover books and will buy them over a paperback anyday. Which is why when we moved we had 59 book cartons and often get the question, "Have you read all these books?" when workmen come into the house. Yes, I have. And more. Many more. I sold on half of my library in the early 90's because it was taking over my home. It's almost time to do it again, except I love my books more than anything else I own. It's an addiction and I have admitted I have a problem, as my daughter reminds me every time we're in a bookstore. "The first step is to admit you have a problem" she says as we walk into the store. The wiseguy!

The Boy, who read all of Dan Brown's books at least once, and some (Angels and Demons) several times, looked through all the auxilliary books and pronounced most of them a waste of money. Are they? Has anyone ever read one of them?

I am looking forward to the film, but I have to say I just cannot see Tom Hanks as the lead character. He just doesn't strike me as professorial in the least. He might be great. Who knows?

Are you going to see The DiVinci Code when it comes out?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.