HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Oprah, shut the fuck up already!

Let's be clear. I'm not an Oprah fan. I find her self-serving and self-congratulatory and overly impressed with her wealth and placement in the public's eye. I find her repulsively over the top most of the time, and I can't stand when she inserts herself into situations that frankly don't really have anything to do with her. She's too self-important for my tastes. Plus, her hair looks HORRIBLE in that ponytail. What was her stylist thinking?

Today I saw a commercial for her show tomorrow. She's accompanying Elie Weisel to Auschwitz. I'm furious. FURIOUS. I can't believe the audacity of this woman to insert herself into a Jewish tragedy. The holocaust has NOTHING to do with her. She's turning the Shoah into another media circus. It's not about you, you cow Oprah. It's got nothing to do with you. It's reprehensible that you would even consider this appropriate. It isn't appropriate at all. It's despicable. It's offensive. It's infuriating.

I was talking to a friend about it, because I was just so ticked I felt that I had to bitch to someone other than the Boy. My friend said that she was surprised Elie Wiesel would agree to this, but I think he is so desperate to have the Shoah remembered as it was, and not as the Nazi apologists have rewritten history, that he would aquiesce to have Ms Self-Important accompany him to Auschwitz because she has such a huge, world-wide audience and can possibly bring the Shoah back into the thoughts and minds of those that have just repressed it.

That is the only way I can accept her waltzing into Auschwitz and doing what you all know she's going to do. Which is to compare slavery in America to the Shoah. Because Oprah has never been in the least bit interested in Judaism or topics relating to Jews. There are so many stories she could have covered in her 20 plus years of the Oprah show about Judaism, but I don't think she's ever done one. Not one. Her Legends Ball; did you see anyone Jewish honored? I don't think so.

Yes, Oprah is a black woman with great power. But she's never bothered to use that power to help anyone but blacks. She gives money to African children, and she did shows about Katrina because the victims are black. She's said that she wouldn't help Americans in poverty because she believes that everyone in American can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I find that disgusting, but then again, I find so much about her disgusting, including the fact that she's constantly giving away gifts to people that can already afford everything. Why give diamonds to people who can buy diamonds by the pound? Ugh, she's SO irritating.

I can't believe that she's going to commercialize the experience of Auschwitz. I'm extremely unhappy that she feels like she's the appropriate person to do this kind of show. She's not. She doesn't have the background, she doesn't know a damn thing about what it meant to be a Jew during the rise of the Nazi regime, and she certainly doesn't have the sensitivity to cover this type of story. She's too self-absorbed to step outside of herself and try to understand what this story means to the 6 million Jews lost and the millions that are still alive today. Commercializing the Shoah is such a bad idea. This is so offensive to me that I'm just outraged. I wish she would just mind her own business and shut the fuck up.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

16 Comments:

Blogger Cheeky said...

Hi - I am visiting from the blogging chicks blogroll and thought I would leave a comment....

Preach on sista! I agree with you - Oprah gets on my last nerve sometimes.

23/5/06 4:45 PM  
Blogger lesa said...

Thanks for pointing this out about Oprah... I have to agree... the weird thing is is that we both wrote about Oprah at just about the same time.

If the story interests me... I just try to remove Oprah from the story so that I can get to the heart of the actual story.

Anyhow, thank you for sharing honestly how you feel and saying what so many people think but aren't willing to say. :)

23/5/06 5:24 PM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

I agree with much of what you said... however... in a day and age when there are people claiming that Auschwitz never happened... well, I'd like to think that Oprah can be useful by educating her bajillion followers as to what went on there. Seriously, there is a new generation of people who have absolutely no idea. She may not be the ideal person for the job, but Oprah does have an audience... = shrugs=

23/5/06 6:17 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I've never watched the Oprah Show, Margalit, and don't know much about her other than she's done quite well. However, as time goes by and the younger generations aren't exposed to as much information about WW2 and the Holocaust I think it's important that this information is kept in the mainstream.

Oprah can do that, Margalit. There's plenty of famous and influential Jewish people that could do this also, of course, and it'd be in better taste if they would step up to the plate in this regard. But in the meantime I think that Oprah will do a lot of good by keeping the horrible lesson of the Holocaust in people's minds.

23/5/06 8:49 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I can't STAND Oprah. She makes me incredibly mad. Everything she does is for herself. I think I'd be okay with her going to Auschwitz if she wasn't so self-absorbed, even if she's not a Jew. ..but she's doing this for her own interest and publicity just so people fawn over her even more and think she's a goddess.

And it really bothers me that she puts herself on the cover of every single issue of her magazine.

24/5/06 9:17 AM  
Blogger da buttah said...

I hate Oprah.

She's actually fairly open about her anti-semitism, which is why when I heard the commercial on the radio about her and Elie Wiesel going to Aushwitz I was more shocked than angered by it.

I'm Jewish, so obviously I'm a little biased and I find it hard to believe that people would seriously look at history and go "nope, never happened!", especially given the fact my great grandparents and my grandparents lived through it, but, it's sickeningly true that no one knows..or no one really cares anymore.

She's got a huge fan base and she can, sadly, educate those peons about something in history that is bound to repeat itself(because it has almost every few decades). But, so help me god if she even starts to compare that shit to slavery in the US, I will seriously put a hit on her.

Seriously.

24/5/06 10:51 AM  
Blogger Real Blonde said...

I can't help but feel that if Oprah was to, hm, die, let's say - and soon - that she would be forgotten rather quickly. I think for as many people out there who love her, there are as many who can't stand her.

I refuse to buy books with that damn "Oprah's Book Club" logo on the front, unless it's a sticker I can peel off. (Usually isn't.) And if I'm ever published, and her people call me about that book club, I'm pulling a Franzen.

24/5/06 12:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Oprah was all cool in the day, now she is old new and boars the hell out of me.

24/5/06 8:02 PM  
Blogger The Queen said...

New here, but totally agree with everything you have to say. I can't stand those f'ing Oprah worshipers...

24/5/06 8:31 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, perhaps I am alone here. But I like Oprah and I do not see her the way you and many other people do. I think she has done a lot of good and will continue to do so with or without anybody's support. She has chosen Weisel's book for her next Book Club selection. This is why she is going on this trip and I believe she will remind people about what happened in Germany through Elie Weisel's eyes. Weisel obviously thinks so, too.
I am amazed at the amount of hatred that I read in this post Margalit. And disheartened, too. Perhaps you should write Elie Weisel about why he is doing this. Maybe he see's something in this that will be good. I think it's worth giving him the benefit of the doubt, at the very least.
Just my opinion.

25/5/06 3:15 AM  
Blogger The Silent K said...

Ah I love a good Oprah Bashing. I thouroughly enjoyed this post. I didn't realize that she was going to be doing a show about the holocaust- and I probably wouldn't have even thought twice about it had I not read this post, but you make some interesting points.

25/5/06 6:35 AM  
Blogger jane said...

I like Oprah. She's done so much to help women, to catch sexual predators, to help the underdog.
If it weren't for her show, I wouldn't have known about Elie Wiesel's book, which btw, is a great read.
As for this:
She gives money to African children, and she did shows about Katrina because the victims are black. She's said that she wouldn't help Americans in poverty because she believes that everyone in American can pull themselves up by their bootstraps....
It's a contradicting statement. Not just that, I don't believe she'd EVER say anything like that.
What's wrong with her going to Auschwitz? If people of other races & nationalities didn't care about jews then or now, where would they be? We're all 1 world, 1 people. I think it's a shame when people doing nothing but good are bashed. I just don't get those who hate her so. If I hated her, I wouldn't pay attention to her. Quite frankly, I think it's jealousy.

25/5/06 4:35 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The lessons of the Shoah must be learned by everyone on earth. The fact that it was a Jewish tragedy does not obviate non-Jews from learning an important lesson of humanity.

Mr. Wiesel wouldn't pander to publicity. I believe he sees the good in Ms. Winfrey's gesture. I do, too, and I think the message will resonate with all the people of the world.

To suggest otherwise strikes me as divisive, and takes away from a respectful gesture to recognize everyone's accountability to ensure it never happens again.

26/5/06 7:15 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

But wait, wait! She gives away CARS! How can you hate that? I'M TOTALLY KIDDING. hahah

26/5/06 10:21 PM  
Blogger jbruno said...

Unfortunately, Oprah and Dr. Phil are respected as much as anyone in our country, as the educated leaders of some sort of half-assed ethical movement.

Both shows are cleverly-masked sensationalism, only a step or so away from Maury Povich or Jerry Springer.

They are doing nothing useful for the world. But they make lots and lots and lots of money off of men and women looking for some mental stimulation but unwilling to crack a book of their own volition.

But who ever said the Staples of the American Diet were good for you?

27/5/06 8:43 AM  
Blogger Morah Mommy said...

I like Oprah. I always have. She gives away plenty to people who have nothing.

As a Jew I feel that anything or anyone who brings attention to what happened in the Holocaust and maybe prevent it from ever happening again is alright with me. I am too young to know what it was like to be a Jew during the Nazi regime. I wasn't born yet. Yes, I am fortunate that my family was in Canada or I might never have been born. Yes, it's through my heritage that I have learned about it, both through stories, books, movies, Yom HaShoah services, etc.

But if it's not out there...if it's not being brought to people's attention, how will people learn about it? Maybe I am naive, but so what if she hasn't covered anything about Judaism to date...she is now. If even 1 person listens to what was ssaid on that program...if even 1 person changes their minds about Jews or any other faith,maybe just maybe...there will be just a little bit less hatred in this world.

28/5/06 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.