HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 18, 2006

This naming thing is getting out of hand

My friend Nina and I have spent many many hours of our time exchanging weird names that we've come across either in real life or on the internet. For some reason, weird names entertain the hell out of us. Nina has a slight advantage in funny Jewish names, since her former spouse works in a large synagogue and gets to meet hundreds of children. But I can also give as good as I get on the name front. Today, Nina sent me this NY Times article chronicling the latest really popular name for girls. I'd never heard of it, but then again, I don't hear many made up Christian names as a rule. My specialty is based more on ethnic names my kids encounter in school, like the boy named Urin my daughter went to school with in California. Or another favorite, Barr Levi Lev-Ari. That's a classic. Or the woman that named her daughter Jezabel. OK....

Anyhow, this new name is the result of a Christian pop star who appeared on MTV called Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D., in 2000 with his baby daughter, Nevaeh. "Heaven spelled backwards," he said. Neveah is now the most rapidly growing name in the United States. A totally fake name, btw. According to the ABC Evening News, which also featured this story tonight, the name is growing fast amongst young Born Again Christians who like the idea of heaven spelled backwards. I guess it's not all that much weirder than Nomar Garciaparra, who was named for his father Ramon. Nomar is Ramon spelled backward.

I have two all time favorite weird name stories and a third that I saw many many years ago on Oprah when she was fat and actually conversed with her audience members. Oprah was doing a story on crazy names, and there were quite a few hilarious ones, but the one situation that I remember most was when she put the microphone up to a well-groomed and coiffed black woman who said, "I'm an identical twin. My name is Regina and my sister's name is..... Vagina."
Oprah literally buckled down to the floor she was laughing so hard. An all time classic.

Once I was on the subway in NYC with a friend and a very large black woman with a small brood of kids was in the car when we got on the train. She had an adorable little girl with a bazillion braids and colored ponytail holders all over her head and the girl was running up and down the car at warp speed. Mom yelled to her, "Spatula, you get back here right now. Spatula. SPATULA." We were convulsed with laughter. You just gotta wonder.

Years later, but still some time ago I was in a deli with another friend and a woman was sitting down with her friend in the table next to us. She was visably pregnant and they were talking names. She mentioned the possible name Shoshana and said, "Shoshana, it be an AFRICAN name." Again, you could have picked me up off the floor. Just hysterical. (For those that don't know, Shoshana is a Hebrew name that means Rose. It is the Girl's Hebrew middle name. It is SO not an African name, though I appreciated it being used, as it'a a lovely name.

And so, I present you with one of my all time favorite sites to waste a couple of hours cracking up and staring in disbelief. Have fun!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I SO needed a laugh tonight. Thank you!

18/5/06 11:13 PM  
Blogger jennypenny said...

Two funniest names of people were "Way Hung" and "Anita Ho" i nearly died the first time i hear the prof yell out on the roll call "Anita Ho?" Too funny.

Here from Micheles

19/5/06 12:14 AM  
Blogger Crayonsetc said...

I so love name stats... dd's name was in the 30's the year before she was born... and #1 the year she was born. I just said that I had a January baby and every one else copied me ;)

When my sister was born, there was a baby in the nursery who's name was True Blue... and one of my friends in school, they named her baby sister Mary Chris... their last name... Maas

Stopping by via Michele this evening!!

19/5/06 12:35 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Well, I didn't make UP a name, but I did choose one out of an Atlas (an Olde English name of a British county), because I didn't want my daughter to be a "Brittany" or "Ashley" or anything even remotely like it. I think I was successful; although there are simplified versions of it showing up, HER name does not appear anywhere on the top 1000 popular names list. Here is the link:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

19/5/06 8:28 AM  
Blogger KaraMia said...

Spatulla???poor child! Here via michele today.

19/5/06 6:40 PM  
Blogger srp said...

The governor of Oklahoma many moons ago now was Larry Derryberry. Say that five times fast.

"Nyssa" came from the British series Dr. Who. Her father is a geek. I am only a semi-geek. He hated everything else. The only problem is that people cannot pronounce it. She gets long i sounds, long e sounds, short a sounds. But it is pronounced with a short i sound as in "kiss" or "list" and a short a sound at the end.

I used to work with a doc who collected strange names. His list included "Soviet Threat", "Icy Dicey Smith", "Riccotta Jones" and "Darla Dear." We also had a Roy Rogers come through; his problem? Hemorrhoids, what else.

Here from Michele.

19/5/06 10:43 PM  
Blogger kristal said...

LOL... I love unusual name stories. We have eight kids: Justin, Mia, Micyala, Mikal [girl], Bleu, Butterfly, Jonathan and Echo [boy].

Here from Michele's today.

19/5/06 10:51 PM  
Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

Along these lines is my brother ex-girlfriend's name. She was from Taiwan and her actual name was Shin-Yin. When she arrived in the US she had the option to choose and Americanized name. She chose Shanra. Don't ask, who knows what she was thinking. Anyway, with a little more experience under her belt, Shanra became Rose.

By the way, a little known fact about Oprah is that she, like Nomar, received her name by backward spelling of someone else's name. Not her mother or father though. She was named as a reverse of Harpo Marx. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

19/5/06 11:58 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Then there's the Silva family from Maui who named their kids: Golden, Heigh Ho, and Quick

20/5/06 12:09 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

One of my favorite names, though not a first name is Dr Lecher, who is a qyn!! Too funny. Thanks for all the laughs today, my dear.

Here from Michele this afternoon!
(Don't you wish we could meet up at the Russian Tea Room and have Blini's????YUUUUUUMMMMM>)

20/5/06 6:09 PM  
Blogger David said...

i cant stop reading, ( we have rain here today, but not like yours, its one drop at a time on the roof, I can count them: 1 2 3 , 4 5 see?

thats why they call it sunny southern calif.

22/5/06 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.