HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Grocery Shopping:
The new entertainment experience


Today we hit a new grocery store, the SUPER Stop and Shop. Not the Super, the SUPER. This store was so fricking huge that when we got inside the door, I looked at those hoveround carts longingly. If we ever go back again, I'm using one of those babies.

This store has a Staples, a bank, a pharmacy, a bakery, and practically every food item ever made around the world. Seriously, the international aisle was two aisles long, both sides. They had food from Malta. Who even knew Malta had it's own cuisine?

We chose this store because we had to buy a lot of stuff for the Girl to take to camp. She needed enough stuff to make the trip worthwhile. We got all the accoutrements for her hair and body care, but what she was most interested in were batteries, disposable cameras, and candy. Lots and lots of candy. Enormous amounts of candy.



See, in camp, candy is like money. You can buy and sell your friends with candy. You can entice people to do what you want with candy. The kid with the most candy is the popular kid. OK, candy in most camps isn't allowed. But for some bizarre reason, this camp has no ban on candy. So instead of smuggling in small amounts of gum and candy, we bought out the store. The Girl likes weird candy to begin with. She's not into most chocolate, although put a Reeses PB Cup in front of her, and she's your slave for life. What she likes most is what I consider gross fruity candy like Smarties, Starbursts, Skittles, CremeSavers, Caramel Chews, DumDum lollypops, Razzles, and Double Bubble Fruit Flavored gum. So we got some of each, and put them together in a gallon sized ZipLoc bag. She still has two bags left over, that she'll probably leave home to eat when she gets back. Nobody needs this much candy, but it's a commodity. She'll come home without one piece, I guarantee you.


Normally, I'd never let her near all this candy, but it's camp, and it's shared, and she's going to be doing a ton of exercise so she'll be fine. Her teeth, woe be them. I would guess a dentist visit will be the order of the day when she gets back.

Tomorrow we start packing. She has to do laundry, loads and loads of laundry to do. Sheets, towels, clothing, bathing suits. It's all on the floor of her room waiting for the washer and dryer. I'm guessing she'll wait till the last possible second.

Funny thing is, we got home, got the stuff put away and we all collapsed into exhausted sleep. This store was like climbing Mt Everest. It was just ridiculously huge. I gotta wonder why a store needs to be that big.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Wow, that sounds intriguing. I'd love to visit that place, but I don't think I'd want to shop there regularly. Sort of like Sam's Club where I buy tons of stuff I really don't need.

You're the best mom ever for loading her up with candy and understanding why she needs it. That's one lucky girl!

Michele sent me and I'm really glad!

25/6/06 10:11 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Oh, my! I am soooo onboard with your daughter here, Margalit. I hate having less than 10 pounds of candy here at home because... well, because you just never know! Candy is security. And tasty. I love Smarties and usually get at least 25 pounds of them in the post-Halloween sales. If the price is really good I'll go over #50. Mmmmm. Candy!

Oh, Michele sent me! Maybe I should go have some Sugar Babies now. They're good too!

25/6/06 10:29 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

My 11 year old granddaughter left for camp today and they had express instructions not to bring any candy, gum or other foods. They allow "care packages", but what do you send if food is not allowed?

Michele sent me.

25/6/06 10:50 PM  
Blogger Dara said...

I feel the same way about those big warehouse-y places, they're just overwhelming! Looks like your daughter scored some good "currency". I gave up sugar 2 months ago with very little effort (I noticed a HUGE improvement in my allergies), so I will live vicariously through her! Michele says hi.

25/6/06 11:05 PM  
Blogger Im Chele In LA said...

Ahhhhh I have not been out and about in like forever..
Thanks for stopping...

25/6/06 11:35 PM  
Blogger MetroDad said...

I wish I had a mom like you when I went to camp, Margalit. Even though our camp forbade candy, parents would load up shopping bags filled with the stuf on visiting weekend. My mom? She brought me a bag of apples and oranges. Very poor trading currency.

26/6/06 1:38 PM  
Blogger VirusHead said...

I forgot about Super Stop & Shop! Just the thought of it makes me so homesick. In Georgia, it's Publix and Kroger and Winn Dixie. . .

26/6/06 6:00 PM  
Blogger MysteriousLady said...

My teenage daughter just got back from ROTC camp last week. I sent her with candy,slim jim's, granola, handwash wipes, face wipes.

All can be bargained for, oh yes. Trust me the bathrooms at camp, or lack of clean sinks makes the wipes worth more then candy!

Course according to my daughter second to the wipes was, the slim jims.

26/6/06 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.