HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Remembering 9/11 on the 5th anniversary

One of the blogs I read has come up with a novel and fitting way for bloggers to pay tribute to the 2995 people who died on 9/11. I've decided to participate, and would like to invite you to consider participating as well. You can read all about it here and here.

I think it's terribly important to honor all of the innocent victims of terrorism that fateful sunny September day. This is the day that changed America, and the world. This is the date when it became apparent that terrorism was going to expand beyond suicide bombings and blowing up cars. This was the date that we learned that fanatical islamic terrorists had so little value for human life that they could do such a horrific act and their supporters would dance in the streets with joy. This is the day when Americans saw their President as the fool he is, continuing to read children's books to kids while the World Trade Center was under attack. This is the date that the cabal that is the Bush administration saw their chance to start a war in Iraq, a country that had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, and call it a war on terrorism. This is the day when not only innocent people in NYC and Washington DC lost their lives, but is considered only the beginning of the continuing body count, a count that has been disallowed by the Bush administration from being shown on national television.

For me personally, this is the day when a former coworker and friend died when his plane slammed into the WTC. leaving behind infant twins. Because I lived in California at the time, I saw the entire attack from beginning to end on television. My friend Nina was stuck in the city downtown and had to walk to Queens over the 59th St bridge to get home to Long Island. Talking to her that night was frightening. Seeing a friend's photographs of that day was literally sickening. This is a day where I started crying and didn't stop for weeks. It was a day when I believe I lost the last vestages of my innocence and my belief that people are basically good. Now I believe that there is a lot of evil in the world, and much of it is based on religion. It doesn't matter what the religion is, there is violence attached to it.

Consider participating to honor our fallen friends.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

yeah. religion was originally devised to make us feel better about having to die. now people want to die because of it.

nice post. that day touched everyone differently. fortunately i didn't have the additional tragedy of knowing anybody who perished personally. i can't imagine how that'd feel.

here via michele today.
p

24/6/06 2:57 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Powerful post. Happy you are participating in the project. I live in London, and am Canadian so dont think I can, but will look out for you!

Here from Michelle's!

24/6/06 3:05 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

This sounds like a wonderful idea. My uncle was in the South Tower that day. I thank God he is still with us. I will definitely consider this.

24/6/06 3:14 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

That is a great idea. I told him to put me down and I'll direct people to his site.

I have been doing a series on 9/11 this year. I worked three blocks from the WTC when it happened and worked another year in the dust. I was across the street from the plaza when the plane hit walking to work. My final post in the series will tell my story of that day. I have ambivialent feelings about it. I got out unscathed and certainly there is nothing special about my story. I don't want it to be at all sensationalist. But I've just never written it down, and this will be a chance to do so. Some folds have encouraged me to do it, so I will.
Thanks
Rick

24/6/06 3:19 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me to see you, Margalit.

Generally speaking I think religion is just the excuse and not the cause but that isn't much of a balm for the pain and even death that occurs as a result. People really don't need much excuse to hurt one another. Shame, isn't it?

24/6/06 3:33 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Try as I may, I can't understand what motivates entire societies to be so motivated by hatred that they do nothing but focus on murder and bloodshed.

What value does this add to the world? What do these people contribute to our collective future? Nothing. I keep thinking and hoping that this too shall pass, that the freaks and zealots who push the terrorist agenda eventually recede back into the hole from whence they came.

I know I'm pipe-dreaming, but that's the best that I can do for now.

By the by, if we believe that evil prevails over all else, then the bastards have won. I refuse to let them win. My life of relative enlightenment won't be sullied by their campaign.

24/6/06 4:21 PM  
Blogger keda said...

what an amazing idea.

i'm not american but this effected us all so i would like to be involved.

here via michele.

24/6/06 4:37 PM  
Blogger Miss Cow is a Cow said...

I just signed up for this. Awesome idea. I also posted about it.

Thank you!

Michele sent me today.

24/6/06 5:01 PM  
Blogger Killired said...

thanks for the linkage, appreciate it! :)

24/6/06 8:41 PM  
Blogger Kristonia said...

I am also participating in this tribute, please comment and leave the name of the person you are honoring and a link to your blog so I can look you up on September 11:
http://kristonia-ink.com/Blog/?p=18
Thanks,
Christina Nenno
Creator of Kristonia-Ink!

27/6/06 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.