HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blogathon 2006 Post #14

He's a good Boy, but he didn't really let me sleep. Sigh. I got maybe 15 minutes of sleep in the hour that I took off, but at least I had some downtime. That's a good thing.

I'm unique because....

Oh lordy, I think this one is gonna stump me. If there's one thing I don't feel, it's unique. I feel remarkably run of the mill, in fact.

I guess my uniqueness might be my heart. And by that I mean my physical heart. I've got a congenital heart disease called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. What makes me unique is that I'm 54 and still alive and still using my own heart. Most people with my heart defect die very young. In fact, when you think of all those TV hospital shows where the people are desperately awaiting transplants and keel over before they get their hearts, they've got HCM. Or, if you think of the very young athletes like Len Bias who die "all of a sudden" on the court or field, and then it's later discovered in the autopsy that they had a heart problem, it's HCM.


This isn't the heart problem you want. Not that you'd want any heart problem. But HCM is not a good thing to have. What makes me unique with HCM is that it's not a usual heart defect in the first place, it's completely genetic in appearance, and yet nobody in my family has ever, to our knowledge. With every genetic anomaly there has to be a first, and I appear to be the first and hopefully the last to have this damn disease.

I was told when I had my initial diagnosis in my late 20's that I would have to have a heart transplant before I was 50. Well, so far, so good. My heart sucks, I've got congestive heart failure on top of my HCM, but I'm still going. Not strong, but still going. And that's pretty damn unusual!


What makes you unique?

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

I'm glad to see you're still ticking.

What makes me unique? Tattoos and facial piercings. Boy does that make me unique.

Here via Michele today.
p

29/7/06 3:01 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

what makes me unique? Good question! Hmm...compared to yours, mine is really quite silly. I have a mole under my belly button. But the crazy thing is that everyone in my family has one somewhere near their belly button. But mine is below - so if you look from far away, it looks like a pearcing.

Sounds like you are a strong person for sure. Thanks for sharing. Here from Michelle's!

29/7/06 3:01 PM  
Blogger Ethel said...

I have really bendy thumbs. Lame, yes. But it is something.

Just a fellow blogathoner surfing through :)

29/7/06 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.