HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blogathon 2006 Post # 26

I feel like I've finally woken up and I'm just cruising right about now. Might be that second wind thing. The Boy is so bored he actually asked to write another post. Maybe the next one!

I use my gift to help others by...

Acting as an educational advocate for the parents of gifted and twice exceptional children. Twice exceptional means gifted + learning disabilities, and in the gifted community jargon it's referred to as 2E. Unbeknownst to most people outside the gifted community, it's very common to have a 2E child. In fact, more gifted kids are 2E than not. It's not known why, but many gifted kids have neurological problems above their giftedness, often seen in the guise of ADHD, ADD, bipolar disorder, and various diagnosis on the autistic spectrum. Both of my children are 2E.

Because I'm a natural researcher, and a writer, and have major indignation/anger for crappy school officials, I've become an advocate to help other parents wade through the bogus nonsense the school systems throw at them. My rule of thumb is always: The school system will ALWAYS say "no" because they do not want to spend any extra money on your child. They will lie and tell you that your child is not eligible for special education services. They will cook up faulty test scores. They will disallow any outside testing. They will claim that because your child is working on grade level his/her disability does not count. NEVER trust the school system to tell you the truth.

I help parents research their rights, narrow down their options, and write up a usable IEP. I will come to IEP meetings as an advocate. I will help parents search for an alternative school setting for the child. I will tell them about the options they have within the public schools. Most of that information is never relegated to parents unless they push.

I do this voluntarily because I know how hard it is to buck the system and win.


What do you do to help others?

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

Do you know, I am a teacher? Yes, yes, your site monitor is a public school teacher.

It's rough at times. It seems thankless, but I love it. (=

That's what Pandora does to help others. (=

::shimmy shakes and sneaks out::

29/7/06 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.