HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 21, 2006

The downside of stupidity

Besides the fact that my hand looks like it was chewed by a pack of wolves, complete with bruising, blistering, cuts, and punture wounds, there's even more of a downside to the saga of the disposal. And it has a name.

The plumber.

I happen to have a very nice and competent plumber. He always comes within a reasonable amount of time, he's polite and friendly, he always does a good job and, you guessed it, he's expensive. What plumber isn't?

There was no choice, I had to call him. My ancient sink had to be replaced because it was the "once it's popped out it's a goner" type of sink. Figures, huh? And the garbage disposal? That obviously had to be replaced as well. It was in pieces sawn in half. No way to put that baby back together.

When I spoke to the plumber on the phone to tell him of my mishap, to his credit, he didn't laugh hysterically. Only a mere chuckle. He had me measure the opening in the counter where the sink sat, and then said that he may not be able to find a sink that would fit in the hole. That would mean a new countertop.

I hate my countertop. Hate it with a passion. It's a weird color, sort of a washed out light yellow, and it stains terribly. I'm always scrubbing it with bleach. But I wasn't really up to redoing the kitchen, so I kinda hoped that we could work with what we had.

Like a soap opera, in the meantime I had to go to the periodontist this morning to start that long involved dental procedure.

The plumber arrived at 7:50, I was gone by 8:05, with no clue as to what I was going to come home to. The Boy was going to have to make any design decisions. Oy Gevault!

While at the dentist I got the pricing for the whole procedure: $1000. Gulp. It is going to take 6-8 weeks to get it all done, and I can pay in 2 payments, but still. Don't know where that money is coming from.

Then I get home and I have a brand new sink, an old counter, and a new disposal. The sink is shiny, the plumber saved my faucet and spray attachment so I didn't have to replace those, and the disposal is the same damn model as the old one. Blech!

So I tell him how pretty it looks and how I'm happy with the workd, and cautiously ask, "How much?"

Can you guess the price?

Well, if you guess right around $1000, you'd be right. He's gonna bill me. Great. And hopefully the money will fall from the sky because I am now about $3500 in the hole with absolutely no way of finding this money. Lottery, anyone?

The one semi-bright spot in all this is that when I looked at the instructions for the Insinkerator it did say to put your hand down there, so I didn't void the warranty. I'm going to try and recoup the cost of the kitchen re-do from them. My hand is cut up enough and I certainly have enough witnesses (hi fire department!) to make a decent case for myself. Now I just need a nice litigeous attorney pro-bono. That shouldn't be THAT hard to find, right?

I freaking HATE being poor. This has been a really terrible week, financially. Three huge hits, and just no way to cover any of them. It's like I'm on this downward slide straight to hell, and there is absolutely no exit.

I knew I should have married a rich guy.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger tommy said...

Ouch. Good luck.

Michele sent me.

21/7/06 5:50 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Ouch, what a story! I don't have a waste disposal, and I'm glad I don't after hearing this. I hope the universe has some money coming your way.
Michele sent me.

21/7/06 6:01 PM  
Blogger Yaeli said...

sorry about your hand!!! :o(
If it wasn't such an expensive exercise it would be kinda funny. I too am hoping that the money fairy comes to visit me, but after reading your story I hope she visits you first!

Michele sent me.
Take care!

21/7/06 6:22 PM  
Blogger rashbre said...

Its sucha problem when everything goes wrong at the same time. How does it happen?

Here today via Michele, and I hope so much that some good luck falls your way,

rashbre

21/7/06 6:44 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Life challenges like this always seem to open the door to previously-unseen opportunity. I suspect you won't have too much difficulty finding an attorney willing to take your case.

21/7/06 7:00 PM  
Blogger Grins said...

Yikes! Sounds like tonight is a good time to put your feet up and have a beverage of choice maybe the trick the twins into giving you a dual foot massage.

Michele sent me again. ;-)I'm off to investigate what that stylehive link of yours on the left is about.

21/7/06 7:12 PM  
Blogger The Flamingess said...

Try this http://www.rolandberard.com/Production/EN/abundance_2006.htm

Can't hurt and might work.

Here from Michele - Hi!

22/7/06 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.