HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 02, 2006

How come holidays always mean cooking?

I love holidays and I love to cook. But not necessarily at the same time. Sometimes I just like celebrating a holiday and doing absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, that never happens. Mostly I cook and if I'm lucky, get to relax enough to enjoy that holiday.

With July 4th fast approaching (and how the heck did THAT happen?) some friends of ours are joining us in a picnic before the fireworks. I invited them, and I'm happy that we're getting together, but of course, in order to do so, food must be planned. And because I am a bundle of neurosis, I need to prepare it myself. I can't help it, I like my cooking better than any elses except for restaurants. I'm spoiled and obnoxious. So sue me.

It all started with a brisket I have sitting in the freezer. I was supposed to make it for Pesach and never did, so it needs to be cooked soon. I decided that I'd like to try my hands at a real Texas barbequed brisket. I checked out a ton of recipes, honed in one one, and decided that I'd go for it. Problem is, I don't have a Weber Kettle. Fortunately, my friends do, and the husband likes to barbeque. Making it as complicated as possible, I'm making the dry rub, putting it on the meat tomorrow evening so it will marinate, and then they'll pick up the meat Tuesday morning to put on the Weber. They're cooking it over Mesquite or Hickory. I can't remember which. Then, when it's time to go to the park for the music portion of the evening, they'll get us on the way, and I'll bring the cole slaw and potato salad I've already made. They'll bring fruit salad, drinks, and paper goods.

The park where we see fireworks has a great band every 4th, called the Zaichick Brothers. They can play ANYTHING. They put up a dance floor and hundreds of people get up and dance. It's fun music, sing-along at times, and gets you really pumped for the fireworks show. We have very good fireworks with an amazing finale that leaves you partly deaf and gasping for air.

I'm kind of sad that the Girl won't be with us this summer, but she's having a great time at camp. I've already had one letter, and her counselor called this morning for a short update and said that she's gone water-skiiing and sailing. She must be totally having a blast. I'm so happy for her. She looked a bit grim getting onto the bus, but she wrote the letter that evening and she had already made friends and liked everyone but one girl in her bunk. Of course that was the girl who ferretted out her candy and took some without asking. Can you blame her?

So, what are you doing for the 4th?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Blogger mar said...

Oh, I wanted to wish you a happy 4th of july...we are not Americans and we are not in the US - have a great day and enjoy the picnic :) oh, and the fireworks!

3/7/06 1:20 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

My husband is cooking a turkey (as he does on every holiday), and I'm going to veg out and do nothing, maybe read a novel.

3/7/06 7:29 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

i love summer camp
went every year as a boy scout

3/7/06 10:25 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Enjoy the BBQ it sounds fabulous!

My brother swears by spice rubs followed by drowning in sauce (after washign off the rub) and then slow cooking in the oven for hours. Ribs to die for!

But we'll not eat those tomorrow. Tomorrow, well I'm not sure what we're eating. I just know it's on the grill, my mom is making it and I'll be in the pool with the kid.

3/7/06 10:40 PM  
Blogger Midori said...

Happy 4th of July!!! The food sounds yummy! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I will swap my sweeping son for some of your yummy sounding food! ;-) Now how can we work that one out...!?

3/7/06 10:44 PM  
Blogger jennypenny said...

You are an ambitious woman. I would just throw some burgers or chicken on the grill and be done with it. Yours sounds better though...

Here from Michle's

3/7/06 10:46 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

Hi from Michele!

I am the same way; if there will be cooking, it must be done wonderfully and well. We're going to friends and all we need to bring is meat for our family and watermelon. I plan to put some chicken breasts in a bag of marinade and take it over, slap it on the grill and enjoy the yummies. For me, that will be pretty darned laid back!

3/7/06 10:46 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

My brother-in-law has been here visiting since last Thursday, so I have been cooking almost non-stop. Mr. kenju said tonight that he wished his brother would stay longer, so he would get good meals more often.
I've made grilled chicken, London Broil, pork chops, and tomorrow we will have grilled sausages, hamburgers, devilled eggs, potato salad and ice cream/cookies. Then I will be DONE!

Michele sent me. Have a good holiday!

3/7/06 11:12 PM  
Blogger Miss Cow is a Cow said...

ahhh yes brisket. Must have brisket at every Jewish holiday. hahaahahah

Here from Michele's.

3/7/06 11:15 PM  
Blogger Baking and Books said...

They hubby and I are going to try our hand at making cocktails! Have you ever watched Good Eats on the Food Network? Well the show that aired tonight was about cocktails and we felt inspired. We'll see what happens. :)

I'm glad the Girl is having a good time at camp, though that doesnt mean you'll miss her any less!

Kestrel

3/7/06 11:40 PM  
Blogger Baking and Books said...

Hey I just saw you have one of my blinkies up! Yay!!

:does a happy dance:

I'm glad you like it. :)

Happy 4th!

Kestrel

3/7/06 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.