HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 14, 2006

So lax I think I've died

With only one child home, and that child certainly overly capable of caring for himself, I have completely abandoned my motherly duties. Yes, I admit it, I have been a completely sucky mother for the past 2 weeks. I started out with a sort of schedule, but man, that has so gone to shit. Totally and completely gone. Last weekend neither of us even knew what day it was. I mean it, we have just abandoned all semblence of normality. The Boy has learned the joys of staying up really late and watching Craig Ferguson with me. Then he rolls over on his mat on the floor and falls into a deep sleep whilst I keep working.

Morning. Oh, yeah, that's that time when normal people get up and do stuff like work, right? I dimly remember that. Usually I get up early and pee, read a bit, and fall back to sleep. I don't seem able to sleep in longer than 3 hour increments.

The Boy, on the other hand, rises from the dead between noon and 1, and shuffles around the house in a stupor until at least 2. Lucky his friends keep the same schedule, so when he makes a plan to see someone at 3, nobody thinks it's the slightest bit odd.

Dinner has turned into a ridiculous comedy. You see, I don't eat during the day. I am rarely hungry before 7 pm, which is my breakfast time. But because real life beckons, I actually am expected to cook food for dinner. Can you imagine? Tonight, I started making dinner around 7:30, and it was on the table by 8. But this is unusual because I actually cooked dinner. Some nights it's clean out the fridge, other night's the Boy makes his own dinner and I just don't eat at all. He sometimes snacks on cereal all day long and isn't hungry for dinner. We're quite the pair.

The Boy, having taken over the dishes, starts the evening whinge about how hard it is to wash dishes and empty the dishwasher and thinks that it would be easier to be making rugs in Kashmir than actually washing the collander. Delusional, that boy is. So he does a really half-assed job, and I say that as an expert in teen half-assed jobs, and I know I'm going to end up doing the rest because I can't stand the mess. Of course, he knows this too, so he can do the half-assed job, assured that it will be done without his input. He's a guy, you know.

I've been working late at night when it's quiet and peaceful, because I'm wide awake. I'm awake because every time that Boy puts a movie into the DVD player, I'm out like a light. Tonight he went over our Netflix list and I was insisting I'd never seen half of the movies he was naming, and he kept saying, "We rented it but you fell asleep." I'm pathetic that way.

In other news, the Boy had a girl over this afternoon to watch yet another movie I slept through (how embarassing for him, huh. Mom draped out on the sofa snoring... ). For a few minutes whilst I was on the phone with a business colleague, they marched upstairs to his bedroom. They came down, and after he walked her halfway home, I mentioned that he wasn't supposed to have girls upstairs in his room. "Oh mom," he said, "It was only XYZ". OK, he's known her since 5th grade and she's kinda a boy/girl (his terminology for a tomboy) but still, isn't that a normal rule? No members of the opposite gender in your bedrooms? That makes sense to me, even when I know he's got absolutely no interest in this girl other than they like the same music and both play a mean guitar. I dunno, maybe I'm nuts and living in the last millenium or something?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Hello, visiting from Michele's. Sounds like you guys are knee deep in the summer schedule. I envy kids being able to take this long break from their "jobs",i.e. school, and completely enjoy themselves. Youth truly is wasted on the young.

I used to, and honestly still do, make fun of my parents because of the DVD thing. They too had to frequently admit that they only saw the first parts of most movies because the second one would go in the player their heads start nodding. I am getting less inclined to make fun however as I catch myself doing that now too. Its really sad that my body is not keeping up with the staying up late, little sleep lifestyle that I've grown accustomed to! Have a great weekend!

14/7/06 11:28 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

testing the comments.... 1-2-3 testing.

14/7/06 11:32 AM  
Blogger Juliness said...

Enjoy your weekend! (Just wanted to see if the comments worked.)

14/7/06 11:36 AM  
Blogger Yo Tambien Te Mando Besos said...

Mmmmmhhhh...

Testing as well! Here from Michele.

14/7/06 11:37 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

Sounds to me like you're just getting into your natural body rhythm. If you're able to get everything done that you need to get done and no one is getting hurt/ignored/not fed, then what's the bad?

Here from Michele's :)

14/7/06 11:38 AM  
Blogger tommy said...

sleep all day, it makes sense.

i don't like mornings, i don't like people who do.

Michele sent me.

14/7/06 11:45 AM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

i get so jealous of my roommate... she is a teacher so she gets to spend the whole summer doing whatever she wants to do. sleeping when she wants, eating when she wants.... it's just not fair i tell you.

michele sent me.

14/7/06 11:51 AM  
Blogger mominprogress said...

Here via Michelle's :)

14/7/06 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

I have to get up in the morning so I get my money's worth of the day.

Michele sent me here.

14/7/06 12:09 PM  
Blogger archshrk said...

No other gender kids in the bedrooms is a good rule. It's when we get lax that the rules to protect them get ignored and then it's too late when they are needed.

14/7/06 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.