HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, September 04, 2006

Machines hate me

I'm starting to get paranoid. I'm going through appliance hell right now, and I'm not sure if it's some kind of robot conspiracy against me, or just that planned obsolescence lasts a lot less time than when I was a kid. Today, my beloved bread machine bit the dust.

Most people I know get a bread machine, use it a few times, and then shove it in the back of a cupboard until they have a yard sale. Me, I used mine all the time. But I rarely baked bread in it. I used to to make dough, which I then rose, shaped, and baked myself. I did this because I am lazy and it is much easier to plop a bunch of ingredients into a machine and let it do all the work than it is to do it myself. Plus, my particular machine did a fabulous job on 2 lb loaves, which is just the right amount of dough for our family.

Today I put in the ingredients for a oatmeal whole-wheat cranberry bread. It's a nice recipe that makes a great morning toast. It's also good with added pecans, but I was out of pecans. Anyhow, the ingredients were dumped into the machine in the correct order, I turned it on, and as I'm wont to do, walked away and forgot about the machine. It beeps to remind me it's making bread for me. I like that in a machine.

The boy came in a bit later and said, "What's burning?" Oh shit! I ran into the kitchen and there was smoke coming out of the machine. It wasn't the dough, it was the machine. Woe is me. The dough wasn't finished with the rise, but I had to pull it out of the machine. I punched it down, shaped it into a loaf, and put it on a baking sheet to rise.

But alas, it didn't really rise. So I figured I could do one of two things: throw the dough out or bake it as is to see what happens. Cheapness won out and I baked the bread. It wasn't great, but it was definately edible. Very heavy and chewy with a yeasty taste to it. It will make a decent breakfast toast.

But my bread machine, she is a goner. This makes me very sad. Because now I cannot be lazy and I will have to make the dough in my kitchen aide mixer. More work. I hate work.

The girl came home from an apple picking trip with raspberries, blueberries and apples. I will make blueberry pie and an apple raspberry cobbler tomorrow.

After a summer of not eating, my appetite has returned. I do love fall food.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave2 said...

Hate the machines back... it worked for Sarah Conner!

5/9/06 12:28 AM  
Blogger Tia said...

At least you do bake. My poor husband can consider it a lucky day when I cut open one of those Pillsbury Doughboy chocolate chip cookie dough tubes. =/

I hope Santa hears of your troubles and comes through for you - maybe even early!

5/9/06 10:33 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Everything sounds really yummy! Bummer about your bread machine - I have similar luck with appliances, especially lately.

6/9/06 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.