HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

There's diversity and then there's Diversity

Today I got a formal letter from the state regarding an appeal that I requested. With the letter, there was a page that had part of the letter translated into 10 different languages besides English. What interested me was the language choices. While some made perfect sense, other languages surprised me because I had no idea that there was such a large population of said language speakers.

So, this is a quiz. Can you guess what 10 languages the letter was translated into? Remember, this is Massachusetts we're discussing. What 10 different populations are so large as to require a separate translation? Reply in the comments. First person to win gets a book from their choice of three selections.

Good luck!
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

13 Comments:

Blogger Angelica said...

Ok, in no particular order and excluding the American dialect of English.

French
Spanish
Mandarin
Thai
German
Polish
Cantonese
Korean
Arabic
Dutch

Close?

5/9/06 3:21 PM  
Blogger Denzylle said...

I ain't gonna win but, for your interest, here are the ten language alternatives that my local council offers - Hackney, inner London, England:

Bengali, Gujerati, Punjabi and Urdu (all Indian sub-continent, for Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi residents).

French and Spanish (not so much for the Europeans, but more for Francophone Africans and South Americans).

Chinese, Somali, Vietnamese and Turkish (with huge communities from mainland China, Hong Kong, Somalia, Somaliland (different), Vietnam, Turkey, Turkish Cyprus, and Kurdish lands where Turkish is spoken.

5/9/06 4:02 PM  
Blogger Denzylle said...

I forgot to say -

I'll be interested to compare Boston's list with my own.

5/9/06 4:03 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Angelica, you got 4 out of 10. I won't tell you which 4 are correct though!

Denzylle got 5 out of 10. So you're getting the easy ones, but not the more obscure ones. Keep trying!

5/9/06 11:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Mmmm... how about:

French
Spanish
Italian
VietNamese
Tagalog
Mandarin
Cantonese - can we lump these two into 'Chinese'?
Arabic
Punjabi
Japanese
Bengali

6/9/06 1:16 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

I haven't a clue - but I could guess that among them would NOT be:
German, Spanish, Chinese, Hindustani, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Portuguese, Malay-Indonesian, French.... I don't know!

On the NOT list:
Finnish
Saame
Sign Language
Lithuanian

=/

6/9/06 1:29 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

growing up in mass i have to think back to my friends... i'll give it a shot.

farsi
spanish
french (haiti)
vietnamese
mandarin
polish
german
samoan
portuguese
italian
somali
hindu
hebrew

that's all I can think of right now. I don't know if I've left you a comment, but I love reading your blog... it reminds me of home. thanks.

6/9/06 1:29 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

growing up in mass i have to think back to my friends... i'll give it a shot.

farsi
spanish
french (haiti)
vietnamese
mandarin
polish
german
samoan
portuguese
italian
somali
hindu
hebrew

that's all I can think of right now. I don't know if I've left you a comment, but I love reading your blog... it reminds me of home. thanks.

6/9/06 1:30 PM  
Blogger jo said...

Spanish
French
Russian
Latvian
Vietnamese
Chinese
Thai
Arabic
Swahili
German

6/9/06 5:40 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

You're all doing fairly well.

Mary P, you got 5 correct.

TIa, you got 6 correct.

CherylAnn, you got 5 correct

Jo, you got 6 correct.

Interesting thing is, you all got different ones right, and you've ALL forgotten at least one or two obvious ones!

I didn't think it would be this difficult. Anyone have a second try?

6/9/06 7:17 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

I'll add Italian and Polish.....

Quit torturing us!!! =)

Do I at least get a free review of a book? ;-)

7/9/06 11:18 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

So, any native American languages? Cherokee? Choctaw?

Ooo - farsi! Good one!

I give up.

7/9/06 12:22 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Nope, no farsi!

OK, I'll tell you the answer:

Spanish
Cambodian
Mandarin
Haitian Creole
Laotian
Portugese
Russian
Vietnamese
French
Arabic

Everyone missed the Cambodian and Laotian, and yet MA has huge populations of both ethnicities in Lowell and Lawrence. And only one person mentioned the possibility of Haitian Creole, which I found surprising since we have a HUGE population of both Haitians and Cape Verdeans.

So anyhow, that's the answers. Were you surprised?

I'll have to figure out who the winner is, since it's virtually a tie!

7/9/06 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.