HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Multitasking, Teen Style

I'm a born multitasker. I've been known to do dishes, cook, and talk on the phone all at the same time. Without burning food, even. Or at least most of the time. When I'm on the computer and the phone rings, I can play Ultimate Mahjongg at the same time I can hold a lucid conversation. Sometimes I play Solitaire or Spider Solitaire, because I'm flexible like that. I often read whilst watching television. I knit and chat at the same time. I'm good at doing more than one thing at a time.

What I cannot do is three-way call with several friends, each of whom are also three-way calling, so sometimes there are up to 7 or 8 girly-girls on the phone, and IM at the same time. Nope, can't do it. But I live with someone who can.



There are times when I try to follow the conversations she's having with so many different girls all at once, and I marvel at her ability to keep typing instant messages at the same time. It's literally miraculous that she can keep all the separate conversations in her head and know who to respond to at any given moment.

You might think that this is an oddity known only to special kids like the Girl. You would be wrong. It is something that teenagers seem to be born with these days. They all do it. Kids come over to our house, plop themselves down on the computers and start IMing and responding to their MySpace or Facebook comments, all whilst holding a conversation with my kids and talking on the phone to their parents. I've seen it enough times to wonder how they can do it. It appears innate in girls. Boys, not so much.

What I find most amazing is that she can do all this, but it takes her 5 freaking days to get her laundry upstairs from the dryer. With plenty of reminders, mind you.

The Boy just got home from the Greek restaurant where he brought Gyros for dinner and got 2 free baklava for us. I love that kid! Mmmmm, baklava.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave2 said...

Awwwwww... now I want some baklava! Conference calls are tricky... but VIDEO conference calls are insane. Not only are your auditory senses being torn in several directions at once, but your ocular faculties as well. I get a headache just thinking about it.

8/10/06 6:23 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

My mouth is watering, Margalit. I love baklava, and kataiffi, and a host of other Greek deserts. Hell, I'd even eat Greek eggplant dishes to get to the lovely honey filled desert. Mmmmm.

Teenage girls are amazing in their prolifigate ability, nay NEED, to communicate to excess. It fades, of course, as they become adults but never goes away. Adult women typically talk a lot more than men--I'm probably an exception to that rule tho.

Michele sent me over, Margalit.

8/10/06 6:45 PM  
Blogger moon said...

I so totally relate! I see my daughter do the exact same thing lol.
Um I don't suppose u have any baklava left hmmm?
thought sooo
Here from Michele's

8/10/06 7:05 PM  
Blogger Last Girl On Earth said...

I've watched my Stepdaughter do this very same thing, Margalit. But the thing that I notice is when we call them up in California and she's in the midst of multitasking, (IMing), she only half talks to us. I usually ask her to let up long enough to say a couple of polite sentices before I hang up on her! Maybe she's not as good at it as your Girl!

Thanks for watching SNL last night, and for the very kind words! I've written all about it. Come on over!

LAST GIRL ON EARTH

8/10/06 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.