HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 06, 2006

Personal democracy one hug at a time

Sometimes something simple makes the biggest statement. Take Juan Mann of Sydney Australia. Mann stood at the Pitt Street Mall in Sydney holding a big sign offering Free Hugs. At first people walked by him, ignoring his sign or giving him strange looks. But soon people started taking him up on his offer of a free hug. And his Free Hug campaign was born. In a couple of weeks, the You Tube video of Mann's Free Hug campaign has born fruit, with students from Newfoundland and someone from Tel Aviv joining in.



The video was shown on Good Morning America. It has over 1 million viewings on You Tube, making it one of the most popular videos on the site. It's warm, it's inspiring, and it gave fruit to the idea of using such simplicity in political campaigns. I'd like to see Deval and Kerry hugging each other, and the voters of MA. Deval Patrick I can see doing this. But Kerry Healey? Not on your life! She's too mean to hug strangers.

Boston has the perfect spot for the Free Hugs campaign: Faneuil Hall. Quincy Market. Thousands of tourists flock there for the buskers, the shopping, and the food. I'm hoping to hear that someone takes up the gauntlet and offers Free Hugs in our fair city. Hopefully without the police shutting down the hugging.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

21 Comments:

Blogger Last Girl On Earth said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I love the whole concept. It's truly interesting to see how something positive and grass roots can touch so many people.

Michele sent me over tonight, and BOY am I glad she did! It's been WAY too long since I've been here, Margalit! Hope you've been well.

LAST GIRL ON EARTH

6/10/06 7:27 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

I love this! What a great video.
Visiting from Michele's.

~S

6/10/06 7:42 PM  
Blogger panthergirl said...

I cried when I first saw the Free Hugs video. It is truly amazing.

Nice to see you... here via michele today!

6/10/06 7:46 PM  
Blogger Michael Manning said...

Margalit: Thanks for your visit to my site. I have enjoyed yours and have Linked you. What an awesome video! The girl who does my picture framing for me is such a cool bud. She shocked me last week by giving me the strongest hug I have probably experienced in years! She said with pride: "THAT'S how I give hugs!" I said "WOW!" I was speechless (for once). lol!

6/10/06 8:15 PM  
Blogger Brony said...

What an interesting idea. I once gave students who stayed late tuplis after an evening event I was hosting on campus. It was not only a wonderful feeling, but the others seemed to really enjoy it. Most were totaly taken off quard though.

Michele says hi!

6/10/06 11:50 PM  
Blogger mg said...

hello via michele.

I love this video... I think the world needs more cuddles *nod*

Ok, that sounded so sappy that I'm going to go lie down until it passes....

6/10/06 11:52 PM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

I told Jenny that this is a terrorist plot to spread world peace! :-)

6/10/06 11:55 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

That's amazing! I can't figure out any grounds on which the police could possibly shut it down.

7/10/06 12:37 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I forgot to say, Michele sent me.

7/10/06 12:37 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Hi! Here from Michele's today.

I love this video...great concept! There's no such thing as too many hugs. :)

7/10/06 1:05 AM  
Blogger -E said...

If someone starts giving free hugs there, get one for me!

Michele sent me.

7/10/06 8:58 AM  
Blogger Brony said...

Just stopped in again to thank you for commenting on my 100th post.

7/10/06 8:38 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I missed the video on tv, Margalit. I usually watch the show on NBC instead of GMA.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Deni on SNL, Margalit. I've got it on now though so far I've just seen a few lame skits. The actress from My Name is Earl is on...

Michele sent me over to say hi. Hi!

7/10/06 11:13 PM  
Blogger queen of light and joy said...

That was AWESOME! I feel as though I've gotten an internet hug, Thanks.

8/10/06 12:24 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I saw that on GMA and it was so interesting.

I watched SNL tonight for the first time in months - just to see Deni - but she was in the dark background, so I couldn't tell which one was her.

8/10/06 12:49 AM  
Blogger Tracie said...

A few years ago I went to this street fair thing downtown and there was a guy there doing the free hug thing. It was awesome.

Michele says hi!

8/10/06 1:04 AM  
Blogger moon said...

omg I loved this, made my eyes tear up, what a wonderful idea!!!
here via michele's

8/10/06 1:31 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

what a fabulous idea! i hug my children everyday, but hugging strangers is something that would take time to get used to!
michele sent me.

8/10/06 1:58 AM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

First, I came by to thank you for your phone recommendation. Thanks! Verizon seems to be shaping up very well in my poll; I think I might stay where we are....

As for the free hugs, that's amazing! I loved the video and will show it to everyone I know. I don't know if I would have the guts to actually do something like that, but it is still so inspiring!

8/10/06 3:50 AM  
Blogger NotSoccer Mom said...

this is amazing. thanks for sharing it. and here's one for you:
((((((((((((((hug))))))))))

10/10/06 2:16 PM  
Blogger 3rd Times a Charm said...

Thanks for sharing this. The video and the concept really touched my heart.

(((HUGS)))

3T

14/10/06 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.