HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Quilting: Pieces of our hearts

1

The Girl is taking a fashion design class at school. I think it's better known as sewing, only they no longer make the lovely denim gym bag of my youth. They start with a 'tote bag' and then move on to making a dress. When I failed sewing, much to my mother's mortification because she has a graduate degree in costuming and was a professional cutter in Hollywood for 20+ years, I had spent the entire semester making the gym bag and never got beyond that. I hated sewing. Hated. It.

But I've mellowed and have actually made curtains and various household type decor things. Pillows and stuff. I'm no longer fearful of my sewing machine, but I must admit it's been in it's box for at least the past 5 years. I don't know why, because I love crafty kinda stuff but I just haven't gotten the machine out. Plus, my iron is lost. Yeah, that's it. I can't sew without an iron, right?

Anyhow, this evening we had to hit the library on the way home from shul and while we were there the Girl found a book of quilt patterns and we decided we would try to make a quilt together. Now, the book she picked out, it is not for rank beginners. It has gorgeous patterns for things like palm trees and light houses and all sorts of other fancy schmancy quilt squares. Me, I'd like something very easy to cut out and sew. The Girl, she's all about the look. She can't wait to go pick out fabrics. She's into serious matching of colors. I'm more into complementry colors.

So the thing is, I know absolutely NOTHING about quilting. Nothing. I know you buy little cutsie print cotton fabrics. I know you buy matching thread. That is the total extent of my knowledge of quilting.

But you, dear internets, you know quilting. And you love to give advice. So please, tell me what I need, and be reasonable, I can't spend a fortune on this little idea. I have a sewing machine. And there are scissors hoarded in the Girl's room with all other things I can't find. Other than that, I've got nothing. So help me.

Here are some of the quilt patterns I think we can handle. Give me some opinions on whether or not these are easy, hard, or insane. I'm voting for # 9 or 10. They look wicked easy.

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10


11
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.