HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 27, 2006

When public doesn't work

I created a private blog to talk about the things that I just can't share on this public one. Especially with the blog scraping going on at bitacle.org. I have mixed feelings about having a private blog. It allows me the ability to absolutely control who reads the more personal things that I sometimes need to vent about, like work and kids and health stuff. But it kind of sucks that I don't feel comfortable sharing that stuff here. I mean, this is MY blog, and by creating a private one, I'm sort of editing my thoughts and words in responsed to my readers. I know other people do this, and I understand why, but doesn't it bug you when you come upon a blog that has password protection for some, but not all of the posts. It does bug me, and I don't know exactly why. But it does.

If you have a hankering to read my rants, email me and I'll direct you to the private blog if I know who you are. But you're going to have to promise that you will keep it private before I add you to my friends and family list.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I struggle with this same issue. I have brilliant(!)(lol) post ideas a million times a day, but honestly it is stuff I really shouldn't be telling ANYONE...sometimes it's something hurtful or extrememly personal or maybe it's about work and I want to respect their privacy. It IS frustrating. For me a password protection thing probably wouldn't work either.

I hope this works out for you. I am jealous :) but totally too scared to do it...lol.

27/10/06 6:54 AM  
Blogger California Highway Guy - Daniel said...

That's one of the reasons I stay at LiveJournal. Most of my posts can be public. But LJ gives me the ability to define a friends list (which it also uses for my reading list); some posts can be friends-only [I typically do that for personal stuff, like the post I just did discussing prices for my daughter's orthodontic work -- if you joined LJ (free) and were on my friends list, you would see it]. I can also create customized subsets of the friendslist for selected posts -- and I have some of those -- either geographic based, or based on other reasons.

Normally, I'd say "sure, let me read your private stuff". After all, I'm used to reading friends-only posts, and I know the protocols. However, I read your stuff via an RSS syndication -- if it is of interest, I go over to your blog to comment. It would be inappropriate to create an RSS syndication of your stuff.

Lastly, note that if you are using Vox for your private blog (since I see them advertising), that they are owned by SixApart, the same folks that own LiveJournal. I actually find LJ to have the nicer interface.

27/10/06 7:17 AM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

So you won't be abandoning this blog then?

27/10/06 9:23 AM  
Blogger BSumner said...

You probably don't know me so I won't ask, but I do enjoy reading your writings and think it's a real shame that you can't be yourself in your own blog.

I've encountered the same issue with my own blog and now I just don't write much.

27/10/06 2:10 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Dave, no, I'd never abandon this blog. OK, well maybe when I'm 90 and have literally nothing to say, I might, but this baby stays up until I can't take it anymore, and I'm a long way away from that.

Daniel, I am using a VOX blog, primarily because I can set the readers to whomever I want, and no, there won't be an RSS feed, obviously. But since there might be posts that are of particular interest to you, you might want to mosey on over and check it out. Let me know and I'll email you the particulars.

27/10/06 6:13 PM  
Blogger California Highway Guy - Daniel said...

I saw your note regarding the Vox blog. Vox is run by SixApart, the same folks that do LiveJournal (and LiveJournal has the same notion of friends). So, you might see if the LJ layout and features works better for you. Also, the open ID approach used might allow some cross-platform stuff between LJ and Vox. I've looked at Vox, but actually prefer the LJ layouts and features, but to each their own.

30/10/06 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.