HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Another helpful hint

Wow, aren't you the lucky ducks today. I've got yet another helpful piece of advice. Well, actually two pieces of advice rolled into one. This is really your lucky day!

If you have a sour stomach, and you're really hungry because your stomach is upset so you've eaten nothing all day except a chocolate donut and a large coffee, it is definately NOT advised to sit through two hours of the Phantom Gourmet. Especially when the second hour is an entire show on guilty pleasures.

What kind of guilty pleasures, you ask? Oh you know, fried dough, fried clams, fried chicken, fried onion rings, fried twinkies, lobster rolls, burritos, burgers, pizza, Doritos, and desserts desserts desserts. Oh my freaking Gawd, my stomach is inflamed, I'm so hungry I could eat the sofa, and my son is almost in tears the food looks so good.

You're not familiar with the Phantom Gourmet? Shame on you. Apparently you live in a part of the country that does not have such a fabulous show that covers all the local eateries in New England. You need to move to Boston right away. Because this show, well it is just amazing.

Two brothers, Dan and Dave Andelman are the hosts of the show. But they are not the Phantom. They tell you that many times over. Nobody knows exactly who the Phantom is. We do know that s/he dresses in a black cape with purple gloves and purple accessories. A large black hat covers his/her face.

Whomever the Phantom is, this person knows food. Oh my, does s/he know food. Really great food, gourmet food, simple pleasure food, ethnic food. You name it, they review it. When they review restaurants they often bring the chef onto the set. The chef brings along several specialties and then the crew goes rushing the set the second the show is over. I want to get a job on that show. Honestly, the food is fabulous. Rarely is there a dish or a restaurant reviewed that grosses me out. Ok, I love food and I love to eat, but some things DO turn my stomach.

Today's Great 8 were restaurants that serve fried clams. The Great 8 are the 8 best restaurants in New England selling a particular item. Now, we keep kosher in our home, which means that we never eat seafood. But once a year I make a pilgrimage to the Clam Box in Ipswich, were we order lobster rolls and a heaping platter of belly clams. In my opinion, you cannot find better clams anywhere, even at Woodmans or the Summer Shack. Evidentally the Phantom agreed with me. It was the top of the Great 8.

Each show features a "hidden jewel", a small establishment that you wouldn't ever even know existed if you didn't live in the neighborhood. Today's hidden jewel was the Coast Cafe in Cambridge, a tiny restaurant outside of Central Square that specializes in down home fried chicken. Man, did that chicken look good. So did the sides. I'm rarely in that neck of the woods, but next time I am, that's where I'm going to eat.

Today's Newbury College recipe was a simple recipe for homemade peanut butter cups. Funny, but I had just been looking at recipes for these as we're going to be making holiday sweets for gifts this year. This particular recipe looked great, with both confectioners sugar and graham cracker crumbs mixed into the peanut butter filling. I think I'm going with this recipe.

Ok, now I'm going to eat my sad bowl of wonton soup. My poor tummy. If I'm getting the flu, I'm going to be very very angry.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

I just cannot wrap my mind around the concept of a deep-fried Twinkie. The only time I've ever come across them in person was at a state fair once. I think they had fried Snickers bars, too. Is that possible? It hurts my guts just thinking about it. Of course, MY guts revolted for 6 hours yesterday because I ate a WAFFLE, so what do I know?

No fried clams for me, though. Yuck. Alex likes 'em, though.

You may now provide me a link for procuring the BEST mail-order crab-cakes in the world. Seriously. There, I just gave you a new topic. Adore me.

4/11/06 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.