HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Because reading is FUNdamental

A book that changed my life:
A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry.
I read this a number of years ago when life was very challanging for me and I was hosting a year long pity party that I just couldn't snap out of. My friend Amy raved about this book and we share a love of reading about India, so I bought a copy. I couldn't put it down. I read it straight through, then I read it again. It moved me in ways that I didn't even know I could experience. Totally broke me out of my funk and made me see life very differently.

One book I read more than once:

East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Woods.
I've read it maybe 10 or 12 times. I read it almost every winter. It is a definate winter book, great for snuggling down in front of a fireplace with a blanket and a mug of warm cider. Hard to find, but so worth it. It's a Sensation Novel, an extremely popular but shocking for it's time novel about love and infidelity.

One book I would want on a deserted island:
What's Bred in the Bone, by Robertson Davies.
Another of those books I've read over and over again, this story of art forgery during WW2 is a real classic. If they put the whole of Davies trilogies in one huge book, I'd take that to an island. You just can't get better literature than Davies.

One book that made me laugh:

Any and all Al Franken books.
Al Franken is one of my favorite authors of all time. His books are pithy and sublimely hilarious. Nobody sends up American politics like Franken.

One book that made me cry:
A Child in Time by Ian McEwan
. This is, by far, the saddest book I've ever read. The first time I read it I was living in the Netherlands and I stayed up all night sobbing my way though this book. I came to work the next morning and my coworkers were alarmed because my eyes were almost swollen shut. This book is NOT for new mothers. It is about a child that disappears in a heartbeat and what that loss does to the parents.

One book I’d wish I’d written:
Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz.
This Egyptian masterpiece is the first in the palace trilogy. It is a look at Egypt as it moves from the victorian era to the modern world. The prose is literally flowers on a page. It didn't win the Nobel Prize for Literature for nothing!

One book I wish had never been written:
Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks.
This is one of the most distressing books I've read about women in Islamic societies. It leaves very little to the imagination and covers genital mutilation, honor killings, rape, and adultry in Islam. I wish that the topic was such that nobody ever had to write about it because it did not exist. But the fact is, it does, and this book is honest in portraying the horrors of a woman living in an Islamic fundamentalist society.

One book I’m reading now:
The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
. I just started this last night, so I don't have much to say about it. I've just finished reading two books, I, Nadia, Wife of a Terrorist by Baya Gacemi, which is an autobiography by an Algerian woman married to an Islamic terrorist. The other is Bliss, by O.Z. Livaneli, the story of a Turkish rape victim from an Islamic fundamentalist family that is marked for an honor killing. Evidentally I am obsessed with reading about Islamic women these days.

One book I have been meaning to read:
The Audacity of Hope, by Barak Obama
. The day it comes out in paperback, I'm all over it.

I'm tagging anyone that is a reader.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.