HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Leaves and Grass

With apologies to Walt Whitman.

This morning at the ungodly hour of 8 am I was awakened by the sound of leaf blowers. In my community they are not allowed to be used until 9 am on weekend mornings, so I was all set to pull up my socks and be really pissed off at my neighbor who does not tend to follow the rules. But it was our gardener making the racket, and the reason he woke me was that he was using the biggest freaking leaf blower I've ever seen. No backpack blowers for this guy...nope, he had a huge push version. The leaves were blowing right into the woods, where they belong. So I lay my sleepy head back down and snoozed for a bit, secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't have to rake a single leaf this fall.

But wait...what is THAT noise? Was the leaf blower not enough? Evidentally not, for now he is mowing the lawn. How odd is that? It has been so warm the last few weeks, and wet as well, that the lawn still needed to be mowed. Usually by mid-November the lawn is turning a wintery brown, but under all those leaves was a long, shaggy, verdant green lawn, now perfectly coiffed.

Except for the bald trees, you would swear it was early summer. The sloping front lawn is a carpet of lucious green that invites you to roll down it. However, underneath that green carpet is mud. Lots and lots of damp mud. Now it is starting to finally turn cold, and the ground might freeze soon. I wonder how the bulbs we've planted are going to take this weird weather. Mid-November and no frost yet. We're still eating tomatos from our plants.

For all the anger I feel over global warming and the damage it is doing to our planet, I have to secretly (ok, not that secretly) admit that I'm loving this warm fall weather. It's so much more civilized than snow in November.
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Oh to have woken up to the sound of a leaf blower! With 2 red oaks, 5 maples, a cherry and a couple poplars and a few other trees, it would have been the sounds of heaven to know that I could lay in bed and have someone else take care of those leaves!
-here from Michele's

18/11/06 3:07 PM  
Blogger Moogie said...

We are having some of the same. Sometimes a bit cooler, and then it will turn into a beautiful day. Here via Michele's. Have a wonderful day!!!

And what is it about those darn leaf blowers anyway. Too bad they aren't strong enough to blow the weeds away too. :)

18/11/06 3:16 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Looks like your gardener is a bit of an early riser.

So did any neighbors complain?

18/11/06 3:27 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

We still have stuff blooming. I mean, we're nearly in December, and have to stay indoors due to pollen count! We have not yet had even a "soft" frost. No light film on the grass in the early morning, NOTHING.

Nah, no such thing as global warming. It's all a big liberal conspiracy. MY HIND LEG.

18/11/06 5:36 PM  
Blogger jo said...

Not only does every SINGLE person around me have a landscaper, they start at 7;30 A.M. Monday through Saturday. The lovely men who do the building to our right and behind out house love to blow the leaves into our backyard and pretend tha tthey don't notice. Ive tried to speak to them, but they feign lack of knowledge of English. Anyone know Portuguese?
On Sunday, my next door neighbor...A LANDSCAPER, tunes up his equipment, sharpens his blades...SQEEEEEEEEEEEE, cleans up his leaves, running his mowers, his blowers, his equipment. We get along very well, but when I chat with him I must yell as he is, predictably....deaf.
I abhor leaf blowers and honestly the only reason I await winter it he lack of noise 6 days a week.
Perhaps one day when we can afford one ourselves I shan't hate them so much, but right now I am all done.

18/11/06 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.