HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Lost Discussion Thursday

Now that episode was more like the Lost of Season 1. In my humble opinion, that was an excellent episode, even if the origional characters were hardly seen. I'm going through a bit of a Hurley withdrawal myself. But man, this episode answered some of my most bothersome questions, brought up a lot of new things to ponder, and basically screwed with us intellectually and emotionally. What more can a view ask for?

I really felt bad that Eko has died. I really liked this character, and thought that more could have come of him (particularly when dealing with the Others). He never caught a break, did he? Even when he did what he had to, the good ole hand-o-God had to knock him into obliteration. The message he whispered to Locke, "you're next". That is going to be interesting.

The Black Smoke

Now we finally know what killed the pilot of the plane. The black smoke monster lives on. Remember that the pilot said "No I am not sorry I crashed the plane," just before the black
smoke monster pulled him out and killed him? That Eko, dear departed Eko also said that he was not sorry and he did not repent to his brother seemed to cause his demise by the smoke, too.

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner - especially having watched both seasons 1 and 2 in the last couple of weeks on DVD, I say that all the strange appearances on the island - Jack's father, the black stallion, Dave (Hurley's imaginary friend), etc - they are all manifestations of
the smoke monster, aka the security system. It shows you your fears and manifests itself as them. Why? Big question. Is it a test - and if so, by whom and for what purpose? Or is it meant to scare away all but the most "worthy?" What does that mean? Again, another good question .

Well, if you take it for what its worth, quite literally, Eko's backstory episode was called the 23rd Psalm, and IIRC, he began reciting the actual 23rd Psalm (The Lord's Prayer) as he saw Smokey approaching him...

MY interpretation: Smokey IS The Shadow Of Death. As in:

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:
For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil;
My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

Lots of hidden symbolism in this episode, and subtle details. A very religious episode, which also included Ben's speech about believing in God. After Eko makes his non-confession to Yemi, and Yemi says the line about not being his brother, Yemi walks off, and Eko follows, screaming "Who are you?", then he sees the large smoke formation in the trees, and says "The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want", then smokey grabs him.

So what are we dealing with here? Judgement day -- Lost island version? I take it, Yemi was a product of the island? Let me guess: If Eko would have said, "I want your forgiveness", he'd see the beautiful white light as what Locke saw? He'd become one of the "Good Guys"? Instead he tried to justify his actions under the pretense that he had to to save his Brother; thus, because of his uncooperative nature, he was deemed a "baddy", and left to face the wrath of the island's security system. I wonder if Yemi was a mystical rendition of the great, and brilliant, (yet unforgiving) man that Ben talked about? Someone who operates his own little form of "creation" (including judgement) in his own little snow-globe world

The X-Ray

Why is Juliet so hot to have him die on the operating table? I don't buy her story. I think the only reason to operate on Ben is to relieve his symptoms. Maybe the island won't let him die, but it might not cure the symptoms. Even as I type this I realize this sounds stupid. To hear Jack tell it, all it would take is a rifle butt to the neck, or a well placed chop... And of course, Ben isn't on the BIG Island, he's on Exile Island, so maybe that island has no magic powers like the big island.

I've been thinking about something, and perhaps I missed something as well. But does anyone else think that the x-ray Jack saw is not actually Ben's? Maybe its just an old xray from one of the Others that died before the plane crash, or MAYBE its actually Jack's, Sawyer's or Kate's (taken when they were first captured...we don't know how long they were unconscious)? Or for that matter, maybe its Michael's, and that is part of the reason they let him go. Anyway, maybe its an in depth con job that Ben cooked up just from the opportunity presented to him by Jack seeing the x-ray.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too much (I do have a sudden headache lol) but isn't it just a little obvious to have Ben dependent on Jack for his survival? And the fact that Ben came right out and told Jack what their original plan was (to break him from the time they learned Jack was on the plane). AND Juliet tells Jack (through the video) that Ben is a liar. It just all smells of an elaborate con (Remember Ben's statement to Sawyer about the Others (Plural, meaning all of them, not just Ben) being better at cons than him?)

It wouldn't be Jack's cause he knows what the symptoms are and hasn't shown any of them. It could be Micheal's but that wouldn't mean anything since Micheal's character is gone (for now). Doubt it would be Sawyer as his character is still very important to the story and there would another Sawyer flashback next year. Not Kate's as it has been established that it is a men's x ray. It seems to be Ben's as Ben and Juliette were speaking at the funeral about it and Ben was upset. As for it being a con, it could be, I doubt Ben's character is going to be killed off this early in the season. It sure will make a great cliff hanger going into the break.

Is Juliet a good person trying to free the Others from the clutches of evil Ben? Or is Ben the better of the two, and Juliet is scheming to off him so she can run things? In my opinion, Juliet is the one we've seen doing acts of physical violence. In Season Two while Ben was a prisoner of the Losties, and especially during the Lockdown episode, he seemed like a benevelont sorta guy who genuinely tried to help Locke when he was pinned by the door. I say Juliet is the worst of the two
and is trying to have Ben killed so she can be the head bitch. We have seen Ben do bad things, we haven't seen Juliet do any real harm to anyone yet. Regardless if Juliet is god or bad, we know that Ben is Bad. Hey, I still think Ben is playing mind games too. (One of her signs in the videotape said that Ben is a liar. She wouldn't have put that in the videotape if Ben had stopped lying to Jack.) Could be. How do we know that she isn't the bad one and Ben is the good one? Or maybe Ben is bad and she is good, or maybe the children are from the corn, or maybe Smokey is death or ............this could go on forever.

I think Ben knows what they were talking about. When Jack was being shown the Bosox World Series tape, the reflection was almost overwhelming. So if Ben was watching, he saw the reflection of the tape Jack was reading. I thought maybe Juliet put the tv screen so close to the glass so no reflection could be seen. What do you think?

Could be that Ben & Juliet are working together testing Jack to see if he could be talked into sabotaging Ben's possible surgery. Ben would have to trust Jack with his life, so Ben has to know how Jack really feels and what he might reveal to Juliet thinking she wants Ben eliminated.

Ben & Juliet are watching every move Jack makes, if he agrees to kill Ben then for sure he's a dead man. Jack is smart enough to figure that possiblity and he should use that to his advantage, if Ben wants to have the operation baly enough, Jack should convince Ben that they have to leave the Island to have the operation. Especially since the crash cart is broken, and we can assume that they don't really have a functioning OR, never mind support professionals. But obviously the writers aren't going to think of the reality of the situation.



Juliette looking like Jack's ex Sarah

What the hell is THAT all about? And do you really believe Juliet isn't still playing mind games with Jack? The line was pretty obvious: Of all The Others on the island, they tried to fix Jack up with Juliet because her body and temperament most resemble Sarah's, hoping that he would become attracted to her. They probably figured Jack prefers blondes with quiet temperament.


Question

Who is the guy in the eyepatch? That bit made me jump it was so unexpected, even though we saw him in the coming attractions.


Link

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700010897

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Jammer said...

Wow. That long of a post and no comments yet?

I'll have to watch the ep again, since I seem to have missed some stuff. (Ben's talk of God? Lord's prayer from Eko?)

Anyway -- I like these ideas:
- Smoke thing as the apparitions
- "Snow globe" since the islands are impossible to navigate away from
- Juliet as possibly evil and scheming for control (Or maybe as a 'fallen angel'?

I wonder about the introduction of the two new characters, though. Are they just "red shirts" to be killed almost immediately? Are they going to be bigger characters, with backstories, et cetera?

Lots of interesting stuff to think about.

3/11/06 1:08 PM  
Blogger jennster said...

FINALLY, i got your page to load. the black smoke is interesting! and i thought the polar bear ate the pilot?!?!! or some crazy monster thing.. i'm trying to remember but i didn't think it was the black smoke. even with the manifestation of the black smoke, WHY CAN IT GRAB HIM?!?!?!? WHY?!?! lol

what i hate is that it's all one big mindfuck. anyone could be lying about ANYTHING and NOTHING could be what it seems. which is why they could go anywhere with their storylines... but it makes it hard.

3/11/06 1:41 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

We KNOW that the x-rays are Ben's because after Jack confronts him about the surgery and then they go to the funeral on the beach, Ben walks up to Juliet and asks her "Why did you tell him about me?" to which she replies "I didn't. You did." At least that's what I got out of that conversation. Also, my husband pointed out to me that in season 1 Eko actually touched and faced down the black smoke... I don't remember the situation surrounding that, but maybe it will give us some insight.

6/11/06 1:03 PM  
Blogger shay v. said...

Margalit...I really think you should be writing for the show... I think you'd make it more twisty and interesting than it is!

7/11/06 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.